Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SCMP: 'Faster Security screening soon at HKG'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCMP: 'Faster Security screening soon at HKG'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Paging Danny Lee

Interesting information here, but I think something is afoot.

What I'd really like to know:

Will the average number of security staff hours DECREASE (or stay constant) per departure passenger with this "enhancement"? This is my bet.

And by definition if my bet is correct, this will mean regular security will most likely get materially worse for most people. Aka this is something bad wrapped up in nonsense PR.

Since HKG security is already about as good as anywhere, length will stay the same for us elites and premium passengers. But regular passengers will indeed be worse off. If so this is unfortunate....HKGs design is so great as it stands, and it really is quite egalitarian. A nice airport experience for everyone regardless if you are an elite or flying premium. Which makes sense considering just how damn profitable the place is.

I simply cannot see at all how this article as pitched is an enhancement (or even a partial improvement) when security is already damn good. A real improvement would be departure immigration for non-residents. I don't benefit but let's face it that's the real issue, if there even is one.

When something that's already as good as it gets is getting "enhanced," usually the truth is the opposite.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:36 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by QRC3288
? I don't think anybody has been waiting for priority security?

I don't think I have ever seen a security line exceed 10 minutes...
Originally Posted by ermen
Concur with others here that security is normally not a big issue at HKG. ...

+1. No complain on HKG security here.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting information here, but I think something is afoot.

What I'd really like to know:

Will the average number of security staff hours DECREASE (or stay constant) per departure passenger with this "enhancement"? This is my bet.

And by definition if my bet is correct, this will mean regular security will most likely get materially worse for most people. Aka this is something bad wrapped up in nonsense PR.

Since HKG security is already about as good as anywhere, length will stay the same for us elites and premium passengers. But regular passengers will indeed be worse off. If so this is unfortunate....HKGs design is so great as it stands, and it really is quite egalitarian. A nice airport experience for everyone regardless if you are an elite or flying premium. Which makes sense considering just how damn profitable the place is.

I simply cannot see at all how this article as pitched is an enhancement (or even a partial improvement) when security is already damn good. A real improvement would be departure immigration for non-residents. I don't benefit but let's face it that's the real issue, if there even is one.

When something that's already as good as it gets is getting "enhanced," usually the truth is the opposite.
The article is certainly not slanted as an enhancement. Its both an enhancement and a warning. Really have to state the obvious about fast security getting faster because almost no one experience a long queue - therefore you have to place some doubt in minds about the need for the service, which is what the lead of the story suggests.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
As others have pointed out, security wait times and efficiency is excellent. The issue is clearing immigration on departure, those queues can be lengthy at peak times.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Am I just insanely lucky? IME security is never a hassle at HKG. Ever.
You are not alone. Same here.

Personally, my biggest hassle with the departure security is those inexperience travelers, who practically know nothing about security. This stalls the process the most.

Is it possible they're talking about TRANSIT security? If so, then I understand....transit security can sometimes be 10-20 minutes if bad, and a bunch of flights arrive near each other at a transit checkpoint.
Not according to SCMP.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Wikipedia states there are 200 immigration counters at HKIA
The problem is that many of them are not staffed adequately
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:32 pm

I suspect this is for the foreign passengers who always complain there is no priority security lane at HKG, without knowing there is no need for it.

Priority immigration would be the useful one.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
HKG is the only place I've ever seen anyone get held up at departure immigration. Last time I was stuck in line behind an entire family arguing with the immigration agent.

What am I missing? What is it that holds up the process so much at HKG?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Seriously, departure immigration is the bottleneck. Security is rarely the problem. I've been fortunate to enjoy E-Channel since they started offering it to frequent flyers. But they definitely need something akin to LHR Fast Track for premium class flyers.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
HKG is the only place I've ever seen anyone get held up at departure immigration. Last time I was stuck in line behind an entire family arguing with the immigration agent.

What am I missing? What is it that holds up the process so much at HKG?
You cannot be serious.
There can be long departure immigration lines at many Asian airports. And the situation in Europe can be extremely bad. The AF forum report immigration departure waits of 1.5 hours, and believe me, it's true. In comparison, HK lines for infrequent foreign pax are usually long but very fast.

Also note that immigration and security waits are additive, not a substitute for each other. if a premium pax saves 10 min at security, that is a net save even if immigration takes 15 minutes.

Finally, most frequent travelers have access to the e-gates, and it is a good service to premium pax to reduce the security wait, even if it is not huge. Flying several times a month out of HK, I really appreciate not to have to take a ten minutes risk premium for security. But I understand that non-premium pax do not wish for it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Let me not get started about LAX and that one time when I spent 3hrs+ in queue there...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I really feel for all of those who must enter the U.S. without GE. I've seen lines at MIA and LAX that would scare most people into never flying. The waits were far longer than 3 hours.

For those of us with GE, you have the kiosks and I was literally though there in 30 seconds in SFO. Maybe 2 minutes in MIA as there were people in line and some of the kiosk were not working (duh).

The U.S. also has a parallel APC kiosk system, for non-GE.

But then if one arrives on CX, for eg. into SIN T1, or worse from my experience, LH into T2, the immigrations lines were insane. If it were not for my APEC......
HKG has been great and NRT is the best so far.

Security screening at HKIA, IMO, is the clog in the system. Each time I've gone through, I'm stuck in a line behind large numbers of people "who do not know how to airport". No matter if I ask, there never seems to be a priority line open. IF there is one, I've never seen it.

No matter, while not as efficient as NRT, HKIA security still moves.

Having Fast Track lanes only works when it moves faster. And this has not been the case at all airports that have it. In the end, you can be sure it's a nice revenue source for airports - even if things don't improve much.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hong Kong Airport Is Adding A (Poorly Thought Out) Fast Track Security Channel

JULY 17, 2017

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rack-security/
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:36 am
Uli

The HKIA concierge service is very cheap and uses diplomatic channel since some time so no wait is already possible at a low price to pax no matter which class of travel or airline status
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by 1010101
I suspect this is for the foreign passengers who always complain there is no priority security lane at HKG, without knowing there is no need for it.

Priority immigration would be the useful one.
I think THIS is probably the best explanation, although it's probably not limited to foreign passengers.

I immediately thought of the people that complain in this forum about the type of water bottle they get, and whether they get a personal greeting from the ISM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.