Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

KA pilot forgot flight map, returned flight mid-way to retrieve it

Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant

I wonder if the pilots came clean to the passengers during onboard announcements on the reason of return. Or some bogus "technical issues".
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
It was posted on Aviation Herald on June 2

Surprised it took the media and bloggers 3 days to pick it up.

Incident: Cathay Dragon A320 near Hong Kong on Jun 1st 2017, unmapped flight

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jun 2nd 2017 21:05Z, last updated Friday, Jun 2nd 2017 21:05Z

A Cathay Dragon Airbus A320-200, registration B-HSD performing flight KA-8348 from Hong Kong (China) to Komatsu (Japan), was already enroute at FL330 over Taiwan about 370nm northeast of Hong Kong when the crew decided to return to Hong Kong after discovering that no charts for Komatsu were on board. The aircraft burned off fuel and landed safely back in Hong Kong about 2:45 hours after departure.

The aircraft remained on the ground for about 90 minutes while being refueled and receiving the needed maps for Komatsu, then departed again with a new crew and reached Komatsu with a delay of about 4 hours.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a9ced39&opt=0

------

Cathay Dragon KA8348 Turned Around Mid-Flight Because Pilot Forgot His Map

by Gary Leff on June 5, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ot-forgot-map/
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No electronic flight bag??
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Interesting that you need a map of your destination airport to land. Can't they just rely on visual flight rules once they get to their destination?

And even more interesting is that this cannot be "electronically" sent mid way during the flight.

(reading AVHerald now...)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ermen
Interesting that you need a map of your destination airport to land. Can't they just rely on visual flight rules once they get to their destination?

And even more interesting is that this cannot be "electronically" sent mid way during the flight.

(reading AVHerald now...)

I guess safety always come first...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I guess safety always come first...
Agree. It's too late when they found that they need the map during landing but they don't

But I'm actually interested... Assume they have the scheduled route maps on board why not just land on KHH / TPE to grab the map? (Don't know if that's allowed or not as this is not like refuel...)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Agree. It's too late when they found that they need the map during landing but they don't

But I'm actually interested... Assume they have the scheduled route maps on board why not just land on KHH / TPE to grab the map? (Don't know if that's allowed or not as this is not like refuel...)
I think they can land without the missing map. Obviously when emergency landing happens to any un-planned airports, they wouldn't have the required map with them.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong

International rules dictate to request an unscheduled landing at an airport you have to declare "Emergency". I guess forgetting a map does not qualify as such.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Do they have iPads? What's in them?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
International rules dictate to request an unscheduled landing at an airport you have to declare "Emergency". I guess forgetting a map does not qualify as such.
But this flight was scheduled. It's just that they don't have the map.

Or perhaps it is the case that the pilots bring maps of all diversion airports along their route.

It's actually pretty silly that this can happen though where a plane needs to turn back to take the map lol...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
You can always see what the PPRuNe guys of the Fragrant Harbour have to say (lol)

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbo...t-his-map.html

Attached Images  
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I wonder if the pilots came clean to the passengers during onboard announcements on the reason of return. Or some bogus "technical issues".
Would you rather the pilot announced that and have 160+ clueless passengers around you go panic?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:27 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Really? If they had an ingenuity they would have turned on a smartphone and downloaded the maps. The maps are downloadable with a subscription. Most airlines uses tablets for these maps. But some airlines have learned that the tablets are far from foolproof and load the the paper Jeppesen manuals on every aircraft. Hard to turn around an aircraft that flew TPAC for a missing manual.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by not2017
Really? If they had an ingenuity they would have turned on a smartphone and downloaded the maps. The maps are downloadable with a subscription. Most airlines uses tablets for these maps. But some airlines have learned that the tablets are far from foolproof and load the the paper Jeppesen manuals on every aircraft. Hard to turn around an aircraft that flew TPAC for a missing manual.
Refer to above pprune screenshot.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a chartered flight and KMQ is not a regularly scheduled destination. I guess the dispatchers also missed it, right?

I would at least demand qualifying miles for the distance flown

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.