Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What will it take to 'make MPC great again'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will it take to 'make MPC great again'?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
And yes, I think CX should favour its own elites more, we spend our money on the airline and it's tougher than most airlines to get status on so respect that loyalty and perhaps give us a bit more than they do for the AA frequent credit card user.
Haha! That did not end well for us previously loyal PEY/Y DMs who paid a premium on fares to maintain status.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I forgot one thing in my post above, reminded to me by other posters:

*another "easy" thing to give DMs and GOs would be preferential seating, like the mini-cabin on 77H and perhaps 2A or 1A in F.

I find other airlines I irregularly fly do something like this (BA and JL I think? I'm certain some seats in F (BA/JL) and J (JL) aren't available to me unless I pay full fare or am some type of their elite?), and to be honest I don't mind at all. It feels "fair" to me. If I'm paying full freight, great. If I'm on an award ticket, I get it they're favoring their cash customers or own elites.

I wish CX would do this, or any of the other ideas I listed above, as did others. Doesn't have to be all and some are more extreme. But how else can MPC enhance itself while it's pretty inferior to most other OW programs?
indeed
its quite annoying and fuel inefficient that all ppl is stuck at the front

they should put all the statusless people at the back

the first row (39) is open for dm
2-4 is open for owe and CXGO
5-10 is open for OWS and above with travel buddies
11 and beyond for SL and OWR and up
Other paying premium seat options at the back stays as they are.

so in case they can forcast Y not to be full they can organize seatblock here easier.

also, at checkin they should start filling up the cabin from where pax are allowed and not cross "zones" forward unless the cabin is full.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Before the MPC "devaluation" I valued it more than attempting to re-install AA annual status. Travel this year would likely allow for OWE "somewhere". What was the biggest item on my list? Published soft landing, as it was unlikely I would re-earn OWE and pehaps not even OWS in the next year. But I will earn MPC SL while earning OWE on QF.

What would entive me more toward CX? Better status earn on PEY fares. More % on RDM for KA/CX metal. Reduced status points for renewal (would not have to be large (275/550/1150)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
What would entive me more toward CX? Better status earn on PEY fares.
Fred
I'd second that. CX is undervaluing the PEY passengers like me. I used to reach Silver with 2 long distance PEY flights at >4X Y fares. If I end up with the lower status under the new program, I will either go to another airline or just buy the cheapest Y tickets.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Wudang
I'd second that. CX is undervaluing the PEY passengers like me. I used to reach Silver with 2 long distance PEY flights at >4X Y fares. If I end up with the lower status under the new program, I will either go to another airline or just buy the cheapest Y tickets.

Cheers.
Since they've removed the guaranteed V seats, most of my CX flights are in PEY (cash or M + points upgrade). However, I'm only flying about 20% of the time with CX compare with before the change. Overall spending with CX reduced by more than 50%.

I still able to maintain DM last year and will be this year thanks to quite a few MH D/Z flights. It is actually funny as if MH increases their J class fare, I will be switching out of MPC.

Life time SL/GO might be a starting point, I hardly see this costing CX much. For QF you need to be a SL for 23 years to gain life time SL. Even CX wanted say 10,000cp for lifetime SL, 20,000 for lifetime GO to start with, it will surely give more incentive for us to credit to MPC.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:41 am

Definitely "aye" to lifetime SL or GO.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: gate lice
1) Change redemption waitlist and op-up priority.

I'd like to see CX take care of MPC members before other OW members.

The current order, posted here, prioritizes OW Sapphire over CX Silver, OW Ruby over CX Green.

Instead, CX Silver should take priority over OW Sapphire, CX Green over OW Ruby.

2) Preferred seat priority, such as mini-cabin of J class of 77H. Reserving those should be available for CX DM and CX GO only, and then open for CX Silver and OW Emerald a week before departure if still available. Similar reasoning: take care of MPC members over other OW elites.

3) Reserving cabana/massage/shower time in advance on the app/website for CX lounges. Only for MPC members. Three days in advance for CX DM, two days in advance for CX GO, a day for CX Silver. Multiple no-shows will revoke this benefit, of course.

4) A small Asia miles bonus. Say, 10% for CX Silver, 20% for CX GO/DM.

5) More MPC points for paid Y+ and paid F. If you fly HKG-LHR round-trip in paid F, even just twice a year, you should be CX GO. Not that it would really matter if you had that sort of money, but it would be a nice courtesy.

Paid W ticket doesn't earn enough club points for something that costs twice as much as Y ticket.

6) Mid-tier benefits.

Lower each of the CX DM mid-tier benefit requirements by 200 points. For CX GO, the mid-tier benefit lounge passes (800 points) -- you should be able to access F lounge with those passes, not just J. For CX Silver, lower the mid-tier benefit lounge passes to 350 points from 450 required.

7) Lifetime loyalty program, something that tracks butt-in-seat miles on CX flights, as well as years of being in MPC. Lifetime CX Silver for 1MM or 15 years, CX GO for 3MM or 25 years, CX DM for 6MM or 35 years.

8) Allow people to buy MPC points. Prices below in US dollars.

$25 per point for the first 450 points purchased for a membership year, and $35 per point for the last 450 points purchased during said membership year. Cap the number of points sold per membership year at 900.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Revert back to the previous MPC prior to the changes last year with a few minor changes that rewards the loyalty of its long time members.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LapuLapu
Revert back to the previous MPC prior to the changes last year with a few minor changes that rewards the loyalty of its long time members.
Even if they revert back to the old program, many people have already had their eyes open to alternatives and realised how much CX had been fleecing them for years. I would be unlikely to go back to saving with CX.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:11 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Problem is for those of us usually flying quite a lot of times in PEY/Y, it's probably too late now to offer "perks" unless they revert to old-style threshold calculations.

However, if this really was a LOYALTY programme, then why not have perks (e.g. extra elite miles/ points) based on tier AND # of years of membership. But like I say, can't help feeling it's too late for that now.

Can't so easily justify extra spend to clients for CX/KA given that the seat guarantee is as good as gone. And given status slippage courtesy of the new points regime, I've already started switching away from CX/KA anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
To all those who remember my prior experience re CX tried very hard to refuse me to use my guaranteed J class seat "benefit":

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html
Terms and Conditions related to earning club points

8. Guaranteed Economy Class Seat
9. Guaranteed Premium Economy Class Seat
10. Guaranteed Business Class Seat

e. CPA and Cathay Dragon reserve the right to suspend this benefit without prior notice for operational reasons but will endeavour to offer an alternative solution.
So technically this "benefit" is gone for good. Don't even dream that CX will restore guaranteed seating for anything below Y / W / J when they don't even want to honor this "benefit" for full fare ticket

Last edited by sscywong; Jun 5, 2017 at 8:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Mileage earning is a major problem. Premium people fly more with their airlines if they can see major ROI on their high-paying loyalty. Only 25% extra miles for C class, 50% extra for F class, and no additional miles earned for GO/DM, is a basic slap in the face to FFP with CX. In the past with the sector/miles tier system this is barely acceptable. But now with the much harsher revenue-point system this is not.

Consistent boarding priority for F/DM and then C/GO. It's ridiculous in some cities F/DM gets first entry, and then in other cities (like TPE) F/DM had to wait behind 50 GRs before it's their turn.

Guaranteed "down to" A fare, I fare, and M fare. This is the perfect goodwill to say thank you to thousands of businessmen directing business travel their way.

Special F/DM lounge in HKG. Again to say thank you to the few that tried their hardest to stay loyal with Cathay and remain their priced DM.

DM gets C lounge access even flying other airlines. Look, you just don't fly everywhere. This is another great gesture saying we will reward you and take care of you as a priced DM even if we don't get you to your intended destination, you can still enjoy our hospitality at the airport.

Family pool miles like BA. This is so brilliant I don't even know why all the airlines in the world wouldn't adapt this. When families travel they tend to be very price-conscious and a study has shown LCC basically have a major share of the pie on family-travels. Major airlines need to give families a reason to spend with you - pool miles.

F/DM - free internet onboard

Someone at Cathay must be realizing they are not only losing "Econ DMs" but I suspect they are losing many "Business-Class DMs" such as myself too. I can't be the only one, that travels predominantly C class, that is bailing on them.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
To all those who remember my prior experience re CX tried very hard to refuse me to use my guaranteed J class seat "benefit":

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html

So technically this "benefit" is gone for good. Don't even dream that CX will restore guaranteed seating for anything below Y / W / J when they don't even want to honor this "benefit" for full fare ticket
You too? This happened to me awhile back, I just didn't bother to post here. Before my retirement and needed to get somewhere fast. I've noticed expertflyer it's all 0 out and sure enough the person I talked to keep trying to tell me I can't get the seat guaranteed at J fare because the plane is so full, and Cathay has the right to refuse it as they see fit. Finally I say let me talk to the supervisor directly to file a complain, and she said "hold on", 2 minutes later return to guarantee my seat.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Revert to the old program & remove expiration on AM.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by infinitium
Definitely "aye" to lifetime SL or GO.
I have 4 million miles and counting. Nothing to show for it once I reduce myself to 600 points this year, and then I'm moving myself to 3U top status and China Eastern top status for good (I even get to double dip into my SPG account).

Cathay is a dying corporation that still acts like it is the passenger's honor to fly them, not the other way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.