Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to request seat upgrade during flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

During my recent HKG-NRT flight (CX500), I noticed that PEY is completely empty. I'm travelling in Y and wondered (but never bothered to ask) if I can request to be transferred to PE. Is this possible?
Old May 18, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: CX
Who are you?
Old May 18, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nolounge
Who are you?
Sorry?
Old May 18, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: CX
You paid for an economy fare. Under what biased, do you think CX should move you up to PEY that they purposely left empty?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by boybi
During my recent HKG-NRT flight (CX500), I noticed that PEY is completely empty. I'm travelling in Y and wondered (but never bothered to ask) if I can request to be transferred to PE. Is this possible?

Unlikely. For one, they have no way to obtain compesation ($ or miles from you in-flight); second, if no passengers they may not have on-boarded the PEY-specific equipment/meals (if any); third, and most importantly, the ISM won't want to be bothered with this while they're trying to serve other passengers and risk getting other inquires from others..

If you were a DM or VIP they would have op-up'd you at the gate.

PEY was likely open because of an equipment change. Subbed in a plane with PEY when originally wasn't offered, thus no passengers.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nolounge
You paid for an economy fare. Under what biased, do you think CX should move you up to PEY that they purposely left empty?
I just joined MPC and this is my first trip being an MPC member. So I'm still wondering about the unwritten perks. That's why I was shy to ask the FAs onboard if it's possible.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
I just joined MPC and this is my first trip being an MPC member. So I'm still wondering about the unwritten perks. That's why I was shy to ask the FAs onboard if it's possible.
Don't bother, Seat change to a higher cabin is not a perk. If you don't get it you don't get it
Old May 18, 2017, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you may pay the difference in full fare and pay by credit card(only). This is widely documented outside of cx.com by press, fa and here.

however, it might not have been an operable cabin for your specific flight.

you dont get the upgraded miles either.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
If you wanted to sit in a better seat, you should have paid for it.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I believe the last chance of upgrade will be to pay immediately after boarding for the higher cabin. The only other occasions passengers may move to upper cabins during flight are:
* Before landing if disembarking with unusual circumstances (I was moved to the F cabin to disembark with my mother-in-law as she needed special attention);
* Medical emergencies or related;
* Seat malfunction with no available seat in same cabin (in which case they may still ask a DM to move to a higher cabin to leave you a seat in the same cabin).
Old May 18, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is this possible?
Catering can make it difficult.

However - possible or not, you can always ask. The worst is the FA says no.

I just joined MPC and this is my first trip being an MPC member.
Did you match your status?
Old May 18, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522
If you wanted to sit in a better seat, you should have paid for it.
We were all upgraded to a business class seat upon check in on our first leg. (But this flight did not sell J fares, though the equipment have J seats)
Old May 18, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Upgrades on board is not normally done, although ground staff may be able to do this if you are willing to pay for the fare difference...if you are asking for a FREE upgrade...the answer would be no.

I think you will discover that most of the people here in this forum believe that you sit on the class you paid for. That said, CX does not reseat you even if it is empty. I am not sure any airline would do that, even PR leaves Choice Seats empty if passengers did not pay for them. (though you may pay for them on board)

It seems you are based in CRK which is why maybe OPUPs are impossible as KA normally uses Mono-class 320s, perhaps you should fly out of MNL more as an SL there is a higher probability of an upgrade specially on peak seasons.

We were all upgraded to a business class seat upon check in on our first leg. (But this flight did not sell J fares, though the equipment have J seats)
Just because it happened once...please don't expect it to happen all the time.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Did you match your status?
I was given SL based on my travel history with CX.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Just because it happened once...please don't expect it to happen all the time.
I wasn't expecting opups to happen all the time. That particular post was in reply to kb9522.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.