Cabin Crew service decline?

Old May 17, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by CX HK
This may be bordering on OT, but has anyone noticed service decline can be generalized across the board in HK, especially in restaurants?
Nope. 5-star restaurants that I frequent continue to provide excellent services and quality. Which I was assuming a 5-star airline like Cathay would be the same.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
This may be bordering on OT, but has anyone noticed service decline can be generalized across the board in HK, especially in restaurants?
A good portion of Hole in the wall type restaurants also has pretty good service.
the ones you have issue with is the middle sector semi chain type that floods the market.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:57 pm

Totally agree with G-IVC and jckl; said it very well indeed
Old May 17, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel
I find exactly the opposite: the local crew, particularly the younger generation, are generally less service-oriented, surlier, and lacking in the ability to interact as a human being.
The younger generation has this stubbornness about them; they think everything is handed on a plate for them. They boss around senior crew (BCs and even heard of FPs too), lazy, and lack of respect to their seniors.
People should be respecting them instead. Some are just really bad (e.g. don't know how to make cup noodles, don't know how to do their service delivery, don't know how to open a bottle of wine, nor know what "lukewarm" water is)

Of course, these are a minority, but service has really declined over the years.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Precisely. This has happened in the Western world for what seems like forever. Pensions disappearing, jobs being outsourced/robotized etc.

Flight attendants are not surgeons where the talent is hard to come by.
No offense but this is the kind of mentalty that leads to "jobs being outsourced/robotized". This is also the kind of thinking that has lead managers to decided to cut back on wages, on shorter layover and reduced manpower on board. Cabin crew may not have the same skills sa surgeons but they do have the same rights when in comes to proper rest, compensation and work environment.

You know the saying, "If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." Please think about that next time.

[Sorry Admins if this comes off as a bit personal]
Old May 17, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gear down
The younger generation has this stubbornness about them; they think everything is handed on a plate for them. They boss around senior crew (BCs and even heard of FPs too), lazy, and lack of respect to their seniors.
People should be respecting them instead. Some are just really bad (e.g. don't know how to make cup noodles, don't know how to do their service delivery, don't know how to open a bottle of wine, nor know what "lukewarm" water is)

Of course, these are a minority, but service has really declined over the years.
In my years with CX I haven't really had bad service on board, it may be bland, simple, straight forward, but I haven't encountered anyone rude (maybe once...but we sorted it out). I always remind myself that they are human, they are actual human beings. Ever had a bad day? You say take it out on the company and not passengers? How many times have you yelled or screamed at the customer service agent on the phone? How many times have you been curt to the check-in agent because they wouldn't let your excess baggage "slide"? Lounge staff when the run out of cranberry juice?

You know what? These things happen, maybe they were called on standby? or they weren't really feeling well but had to report to work because they need the money.

Yes they are a minority. Some of you may fly more in a month that I do in a year, but you know what I have learned in all my flights? Treat them as people and they will treat you well, even the younger crew. Trying talking to them, say thank you rather than waving them off..snapping your fingers isn't proper at restaurants and neither are they proper on board.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: asia miles
Yes you are right, this is not only about CX, it is nearly all across the board in HK
Old May 18, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Hongkongers in general have a FU attitude towards customers. They think they are doing us a favor by serving us. Its been getting worse since the influx of tourists from the mainland.

Cathay staff especially check in (Counter) staff and the CS have always had a bad mentality and I compare their service to the service one would get at the tourist trap electronic stores on Nathan Road in the early 90's.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Hottub Cowboy
Hongkongers in general have a FU attitude towards customers. They think they are doing us a favor by serving us. Its been getting worse since the influx of tourists from the mainland.

Cathay staff especially check in (Counter) staff and the CS have always had a bad mentality and I compare their service to the service one would get at the tourist trap electronic stores on Nathan Road in the early 90's.
A good portion of the really local "locals", younger generation staff, tend to be more well-mannered when facing English-speaking customers. A sad disrespect of themselves and their own people. Anyone noticed this?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: CX AY DL
A good portion of the really local "locals", younger generation staff, tend to be more well-mannered when facing English-speaking customers. A sad disrespect of themselves and their own people. Anyone noticed this?
from what I've heard from a pilot friend the same applies to FAs serving English-speaking pilots as well...
Old May 18, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: asia miles
I never had that feeling. I personally thing that younger tend to be even worse because on top the the rudness they have this arrogance older people don't have.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fishball
from what I've heard from a pilot friend the same applies to FAs serving English-speaking pilots as well...
reminds me of an earlier incident where an fa was serving a cockpit crew...
Old May 19, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Originally Posted by kaka
reminds me of an earlier incident where an fa was serving a cockpit crew...
now now
Old May 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

Yes, I have noticed the same in transpacific J class.
And the food has become miserable - very similar to economy class a decade ago.
We have been trying to fly JAL instead, to get to Taipei. Much better service and food is miles ahead with their a la carte service after the main service.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

But with cx you dont get a hot cabin!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.