Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles AA earning devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Aeroplan 75K
Asia Miles AA earning devaluation?

G, S, N, Q fare buckets used to earn 100% but now only 25%. Changes in club points too, now earning a maximum of 10 points on any deep discounted AA flight.

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn...000ad21c39RCRD
Old May 3, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
The big surprise is this took so long to happen.

AA gives zero miles/EQDs for virtually all economy fares on CX.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
AA gives zero miles/EQDs for virtually all economy fares on CX.
AA does not give AA miles for CX flights
CX pays $$ to AA to buy AA miles so to reward (bribe) you when you buy a CX flight.

Frequent flyer programs sell miles/points for cash $$$ to airlines, rental car, credit card companies and others.
A better business than trying to make a dollar flying aircraft with pesky (self loading) cargo.
Old May 3, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
If you are an AAdvantage member (like me) you will not be earning miles/EQDs to your AA account when flying on CX in economy except for Y (100% EQMs & 20% EQDs), B, H (50% EQMs & 15% EQDs).

Happy?
Old May 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA, CX
I agreed they were too generous. But I feel annoyed that they change the chart with very minimal time notice.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Chan Joe
I agreed they were too generous. But I feel annoyed that they change the chart with very minimal time notice.
Was notice even given?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
It is surely a very urgent change for Asiamiles... They even say "Frist Class".

I am also somewhat puzzled by the references below like "^Fare Class C is upgrade to Business Class but accrue as Economy Class at 75% of actual miles flown.
* Fare Class H, K, L, M & V is accrued at 75% of actual miles flown."
So it says only class Y accrues at 100%, HKMLV all accrue at 75%. Then why don't they just list them as a separate category (as what they do in MPO earning chart)?

And if class C accrues at 75%, that means if I book into O class and then apply a SWU, I would earn 75% of the flight miles? What if I upgrade from Premium Economy P to Business C?

AAdvantage earning for Cathay flights is another story... CX PEY is one of the best ways to get AA EQDs, but CX EY almost always earns nothing when credited to AA.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Wow...I can't believe it...an overnight devaluation

Confused about C too as it should credit with the underlying fare...so O --> C should accrue nothing but now they specify an earning rate for C on its own...strange
Old May 3, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, CX
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Wow...I can't believe it...an overnight devaluation

Confused about C too as it should credit with the underlying fare...so O --> C should accrue nothing but now they specify an earning rate for C on its own...strange
peak seasons ex HKG they sell Upgraded economy class at AA website "C fare"

they keep devaluing the partner Airline mileage accrual, and never award more miles for cx flights + higher tier MPC members
Old May 3, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
If you are an AAdvantage member (like me) you will not be earning miles/EQDs to your AA account when flying on CX in economy except for Y (100% EQMs & 20% EQDs), B, H (50% EQMs & 15% EQDs).

Happy?
Not happy with this EQD POS stuff. Not happy at'all. Look for management changes at AA when the first year EQD results come in, though.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Did anyone receive any email/notification from AM/MPC about this change? I put my MPC membership on holiday - I wonder if that's the reason why I didn't get any notification from CX?

It seems to me that AM/MPC (and therefore CX) lacks a coherent strategy and isn't really sure what it wants to do in the US (in terms of FFP).
1) CX recently launched credit card here in the US. I presume the intention it to make money by retaining/growing AM membership in the US.
2) CX now cuts the earning rates for AA flights which naturally affects AM/MPC US-based members since a big chunk of US-based members' flights are bound to be on AA.

So what's CX plan? Grow or not grow AM/MPC FFP in the US?

The only reason i can think of is the change in leadership as of 1 May. Old CEO - grow FFP in US. New CEO - shrink FFP in US?
Old May 3, 2017, 3:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
No, it's just a move from AA's side, but a whole year late.

Prior to August 2016 AAdv members used to earn 100+% miles on all sorts of AA economy fares. That vanished in August 2016 matching UA/DL by switching to $-based miles earning.

Other partners since they cannot know the fare, they adapted by cutting earnings for flying AA from 100% down to like 25% (basically most in OW did, like BA, and even non-OW ones like AS MP.) Asia miles remained to offer 100% miles for all economy buckets save for O, until yesterday.

TLDR: AA 'raised the price'/'asked' CX not to give 100% AM to AA flights anymore, that simple, so an AAdv member wouldn't be able to 'arbitrage' away their low-mile-earning AA flights by accruing them onto their CX/AM FFP.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Rivarix
1) CX recently launched credit card here in the US. I presume the intention it to make money by retaining/growing AM membership in the US.
Making a presence more likely.

Many AM membership in the U.S. only associated with redemption rather than earning. The increase in membership recently has a nexus with all the juicy bonus that AMEX and Citi have been providing.

2) CX now cuts the earning rates for AA flights which naturally affects AM/MPC US-based members since a big chunk of US-based members' flights are bound to be on AA.
The number of US-based AM/MPC members are limited, given that before having the credit card, it was more difficult to earn AM than AA miles in the U.S.

So what's CX plan? Grow or not grow AM/MPC FFP in the US?
IMHO - CX never has a plan expanding AM/MPC in the U.S.

The U.S. market was one of the major market that AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardmembers did not get complementary MPC GO.

If CX is to grow AM/MPC, there are many things CX can do. None has been done so far.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just noticed that MPO Club points also dramatically lowered for AA. No more 100-point roundtrips for HKG-DFW-(LGA etc) in discount Y. That's kind of awful because even in AAdv, elite qualifying miles (aka MPO CPs) were not affected but just redeemable miles (aka Asia miles equivalent) by the mega devaluation implemented last year.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:43 am

Does anyone know what will happen in my case? I am right in the middle of a trip all booked in Q class.

April 28 - HKG-LAX-MIAMI (already flown)
May 6 - MIAMI-SLC
May 7 - SLC-Dallas-HKG

Will they only give me 25% miles now? I purchased the tickets a long time ago and purposely paid more to upfare to Q Class (while it was still 100% miles)☹️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.