Wiki Posts
Search

Connection at LAX - B6 to CX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Connection at LAX - B6 to CX

BOS-LAX on JetBlue mint connecting to LAX-HKG. The B6 flight arrives 22:12 and CX883 departs 23:55... Scared... What could happen if I miss my connection at LAX...given they are booked under separate tickets and not directly from CX?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:22 pm

Yikes that's a tight connection. Do you have luggage or just carry-ons? They have another flight to LAX just after midnight but it's up to the CX agent if they're willing to rebook you or not. They technically don't have to because it's separate tickets. I know this doesn't help with this situation, and it may work out fine, but why book such a tight connection?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't have a connection. You are on separate tickets and are not protected in case you are late or your B6 flight is cancelled. I think this is madness. If you don't make your CX flight in time for check-in (delays, cancellation, etc) your entire itinerary is cancelled and you have no recourse or protection. I'd rebook the B6 flight with a lot more leeway (like arriving in the morning or the night before) to mitigate these possibilities.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Yikes that's a tight connection. Do you have luggage or just carry-ons? They have another flight to LAX just after midnight but it's up to the CX agent if they're willing to rebook you or not. They technically don't have to because it's separate tickets. I know this doesn't help with this situation, and it may work out fine, but why book such a tight connection?
It is about my schedule... Have to depart after 6 in Boston, plus that LAX flight is the only one with availability.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
How did you buy your ticket? Is it cash or miles? And if miles, which currency?

I think this is a bad idea no matter what. But if you've paid cash for a J or F seat then you'll be better off (not to mention, you can cancel your ticket for either free or a small penalty, and could even do it airborne via the B6 wifi if you're very late).

If you're on an award ticket this is madness, particularly if you're on a partner award currency. I do think no matter what they'd try to rebook you on CX881 IF IT ISNT FULL, but this seems like gambling to me.

I've done a lot of non OW "transfers" at LAX, but I almost always am on cash tickets, and I'm a CX Diamond. And even then I never book it as tight as you. The only thing that would make me comfortable is if you knew that B6 flight was virtually always on time or early.

If the B6 flight is spot on time and you don't have luggage you will be fine, just to add that. However am I correct this can't be predicted so accurately?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:56 pm

The check in deadline at LAX is 40 minutes for CX. If you have luggage you need to be there a few minutes before 23:15. Terminal 3 is right next to TBIT, around a 5 min walk. Doable if everything is on time.
If you are too late it depends on CX. Don't expect that they accommodate you for free on a later flight. Potentially a change fee and the fare difference if they still have seats on the later flight. Check if your ticket allows changes.

Good luck! You need it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

So...I decided to cancel the ticket and rebook the route LAX-HND-HKG to make the connection slightly better. (NH departs 01:20, making the connection approx. 3 hrs) hope that will work out!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by b.xiao
So...I decided to cancel the ticket and rebook the route LAX-HND-HKG to make the connection slightly better. (NH departs 01:20, making the connection approx. 3 hrs) hope that will work out!
3 hours is still too tight in my opinion, as if something goes wrong you do not have much buffer time. why you are not looking for BOS-HKG or JFK-HKG which is closer to BOS?

Last edited by lingua101; Apr 25, 2017 at 4:07 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:15 am

if you're on a flexible ticket, why don't you just fly BOS-HKG or JFK-HKG on CX? Farrrr easier!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
if you're on a flexible ticket, why don't you just fly BOS-HKG or JFK-HKG on CX? Farrrr easier!
Jetblue MINT!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Jetblue MINT!
If you're flying J or F on CX/NH then that reason is one of, with respect, the silliest reasons not to do as suggested and fly either BOS-HKG or go via JFK or EWR.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:54 pm

Jetblue MINT!
6 hours on MINT and then 15 hours on CX via LAX
16 hours on CX from BOS
1.5 hours to NYC and then 16 hours to HKG
Even BOS-NRT-HKG is quicker than the LAX connection. And NRT is a far better airport to connect.

Sounds like an easy decision if the price difference is not insane.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@b.xiao

Some really good advice posted by others here.
Yes, JetBlue MINT....very nice I'm sure.
Transiting LAX, plus on separate tickets....hmmm

I'll also add the following. I'm in and out of there regularly. There is a current GDP (Ground Delay Program) underway. Not based on weather like at SFO, but due to runway construction.

Often domestic flights (including those from Canada) are delayed at departure by LAX ATC. I'm always on the early morning from YYZ and we've had to sit on the aircraft for 1:40 prior to departure. Colleagues on flights from U.S. points had it even worse as some flights eventually get cancelled.

Also, not sure of your flight dates - but for the benefit of others here - DL and a bunch of other airlines are swapping terminals May 12-17. So, while I expect it might be well organized chaos, it will also have an impact on arrivals/departures.

P.S. I also fly to TPE and NRT from LAX and I purposely build in a very long layover or an overnight. My sanity is more important than a quick connection that may evaporate due to activities at LAX. The airside connector walkways help, but only if you actually get to LAX.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:53 pm

There's also CX881 leaving at 00:55.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:30 am

Jetblue MINT!
ha mate, I mean..to each their own. I've done Mint before it's a nice way to go across the US, definitely better than the crappy US big 3. Soft product is actually civilized. But I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it...I mean it's still a confined space in a plane!

My first choice would be obviously CX811 BOS-HKG or CX845 JFK-HKG. But if you are an aviation enthusiast by all means do it. I would, however highly recommend you choose CX881 and not CX883. CX881 leaves later and CX883 is just cutting it way too close.

I do think CX will protect you on CX881 if you're on a cash J or F ticket, but again you're kinda gambling with loading. And if you're on some other type of ticket like an award tickets, it's just a flat-out bad move to book CX883 because you could be spending the night at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.