Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I Invite a J Passenger to Dine With Me in F?

Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold

Hey guys,

I managed to secure an F award from LAX-HKG and my wife and daughter (8 years old) are in J.

Any idea if one or both can join me in F for dinner?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

I managed to secure an F award from LAX-HKG and my wife and daughter (8 years old) are in J.

I believe unless you are Marco Polo Diamond (MPC DM), you can only bring in 1 guest to the F side of the lounge.

There is a thread about lounge access with a Wiki

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I believe unless you are Marco Polo Diamond (MPC DM), you can only bring in 1 guest to the F side of the lounge.

There is a thread about lounge access with a Wiki

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs
Sorry, I mean on the plane
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
I would hope not.

F is for F pax and not friends and family from J.
The crew is not likely to permit it and some F pax will complain if the crew doesn't kick them out on their own.
Here's an idea... why not visit them in J instead?

As an aside... 1 F seat and you took it for yourself and not your wife? LOL. Apparently, you've yet to learn the old adage "happy wife, happy life".

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 22, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
I would hope not.

The crew is not likely to permit it and some F pax will complain if the crew doesn't kick them out on their own.

As an aside... 1 F seat and you took it for yourself and not your wife? LOL. Apparently, you've yet to learn the old adage "happy wife, happy life".
Super pumped that you understand my family so well. Thanks for your keen insight.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No you can't.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by SFO777
I would hope not.

Not just "hope not", but almost definitely no. If OP is the only passenger in F, there may be a very, very slim chance (still almost 0). CX does not allow J passengers visiting F, let alone dining in F.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Not just "hope not", but almost definitely no. If OP is the only passenger in F, there may be a very, very slim chance (still almost 0). CX does not allow J passengers visiting F, let alone dining in F.
Thankfully.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Hey guys,

No. Definitely not.

Companion dining is only permitted if both hold F tickets. Folks from J, PEY and Y aren't allowed into F otherwise. There are a few exceptions (last 30 minutes before landing & family has connecting flight is the most common, and I've still only seen this when seats are available and ISM asks the other F passengers beforehand) but they're rare. I have never seen companions from the back allowed to come hang out in F for meals...ever. I don't know exactly but I'm probably in the neighborhood of 50+ or so flights in CX F.

Last edited by QRC3288; Mar 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, you're asking the equivalent of "at the restaurant buffet, can I bring in Tupperware and take all the food home for me"?

Or "So I bought this wristband that lets me get all you can drink at the bar, can I bring in my friend and give them some of my drinks?"

Needless to say this doesn't go over all that well for people who regularly fly in the cabin. F is reserved for the folks who paid or used miles for it.

Odds are decent that if you used AA/AS/CX miles for an award that there might be some availability that opens up close in if you use ExpertFlyer. (BA... not so much, they restrict close in redemptions.) So you might be able to put your wife and kid in F, which would make dining with them totally legitimate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, you're asking the equivalent of "at the restaurant buffet, can I bring in Tupperware and take all the food home for me"?

Or "So I bought this wristband that lets me get all you can drink at the bar, can I bring in my friend and give them some of my drinks?"

Needless to say this doesn't go over all that well for people who regularly fly in the cabin. F is reserved for the folks who paid or used miles for it.

Odds are decent that if you used AA/AS/CX miles for an award that there might be some availability that opens up close in if you use ExpertFlyer. (BA... not so much, they restrict close in redemptions.) So you might be able to put your wife and kid in F, which would make dining with them totally legitimate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

Hope this helps!
I can understand the logic here.

My redemption was with AS and I guess I just got lucky being able to find it so far out (flight in December). EF shows F4 and A4 for those dates so I'm hopeful that something opens up though the seat map only shows 3 available but that could be a blocked seat or something.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I can understand the logic here.

My redemption was with AS and I guess I just got lucky being able to find it so far out (flight in December). EF shows F4 and A4 for those dates so I'm hopeful that something opens up though the seat map only shows 3 available but that could be a blocked seat or something.
If it's F4 A4 so far out, your chances aren't great. It'll have to stay at that level until T-14 days.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I just flew with a family where the parents and 2 babies were in 2A/K. They had two young daughters and a phillipina maid in the small J cabin right behind. The maid was responsible for caring for all children so had a party in the cabin. I ended up having to ask the purser for an empty J seat to sleep in so I could get some rest as the young daughters were very noisy and the maid would pace the aisle next to me with screaming babies. It was a nightmare.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by fauxreals
I just flew with a family where the parents and 2 babies were in 2A/K. They had two young daughters and a phillipina maid in the small J cabin right behind. The maid was responsible for caring for all children so had a party in the cabin. I ended up having to ask the purser for an empty J seat to sleep in so I could get some rest as the young daughters were very noisy and the maid would pace the aisle next to me with screaming babies. It was a nightmare.
Ouch. This sounds like some kind of first-world karma/retribution/died and gone to hell (pick your religion here) situation. I can imagine Dante's circles of hell, updated and refreshed for the modern age. In circle 5, the penitent will end up in your situation, but for the rest of eternity, and in a completely full plane...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fauxreals
I ended up having to ask the purser for an empty J seat to sleep in so I could get some rest as the young daughters were very noisy and the maid would pace the aisle next to me with screaming babies.
That would not have been the nature of the "request" I would have made to the in-flight manager.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.