FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1830519-special-handling-all-rimowa-brand-check-baggage.html)

Ausriver Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage

CX/KA are now giving special handling to all Rimowa brand check-in baggages, including mandatory fragile tags and special loading.

Been asked to put my rimowa into this special blue cage normally for oversized luggage or baby strollers at SYD this morning.

http://jiau2.com/ft/cxrimowa.jpg

24left Mar 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 28058301)
CX/KA are now giving special handling to all Rimowa brand check-in baggages, including mandatory fragile tags and special loading.

Been asked to put my rimowa into this special blue case normally for oversized luggage or baby strollers at SYD this morning.

I guess I have to ask the reasons? :D

sxc Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Probably a lot of entitled rimowa owners claiming damage from the airline for scratches and dings.

Personally I accept that baggage is not handled with kid gloves and they are going to be subject to wear and tear. I don't know how people can expect airlines to keep their baggage in pristine condition.

HKGglobaltrotter Mar 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28058533)
Probably a lot of entitled rimowa owners claiming damage from the airline for scratches and dings.

Personally I accept that baggage is not handled with kid gloves and they are going to be subject to wear and tear. I don't know how people can expect airlines to keep their baggage in pristine condition.

If anyone ever had a HND flight they would probably notice that 2/3 of the bags coming out of the carousel is a Rimowa. I wonder what they do there? How many cages do they need?

I do use Rimowa for travel though I don't expect my bags to be in factory-fresh condition after using it. There must be so much complaints/claims for baggage damage in order for CX to do this sort of special handling... interesting!

sxc Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes I've noticed that Rimowa has become much more popular these days, looking at the HKG carousels. So I really wonder if CX is doing this network-wide.

Maybe it's a Menzies initiative as CX charges them for damaged luggage. So they are saying "Well on the Australia side we do everything we can to prevent damage, so don't blame us"?

I can't imagine any other carrier really caring about this, and even contemplating compensation for normal wear and tear.

sxc Mar 19, 2017 8:10 pm

The next complaint will be "They stuck fragile stickers on my baggage and I can't remove them without damaging the surface.".

gpia Mar 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Any chance this is somehow related to theft from inside the bags? Such as Rimowa bags suggesting higher value contents?

boybi Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 28058808)
Any chance this is somehow related to theft from inside the bags? Such as Rimowa bags suggesting higher value contents?

I have read somewhere that thefts occur more on expensive bags.

oaken Mar 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 28058808)

Very possible.

fast03 Mar 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I was told they were being "hand-loaded" into the baggage containers instead of going through the conveyor system at MNL when I flew from there last week due to damage feedback. So the reason might be towards baggage damage than theft. I have fully accepted that my Topas will bend and ding given the material but seems they are having to compensate entitled Rimowa owners who couldn't accept this?

Chromie25 Mar 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Here's an idea to make up for some of CX's corporate losses: extra handling fees for Rimowa baggages!

fairhsa Mar 19, 2017 11:02 pm

I thought the point of purchasing Rimowa was because they are supposed to be tough! Bizarre.

kaka Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa (Post 28059138)
I thought the point of purchasing Rimowa was because they are supposed to be tough! Bizarre.

I guess the strong ones are the metallic ones but are susceptable to dings and scratches cuz its metal outside.

the plastic ones are too weak.

gpia Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

The wheels are what made me buy my first Rimowa ever last week in Europe. Smooth sailing at ~30kg. Didn't realize what kind of club I was joining though :o

Was happy to see a couple of dings and scratches when I pulled them off the carousel in HKG. Don't need them looking all new and attracting attention. Although now I will obviously be expecting boutique treatment :p

bibikang Mar 20, 2017 12:08 am

Few years ago the handle of my Rimowa suitcase was broken after a flight. I reported to them and they took my suitcase to get repair. After a while they called me said it can't be fixed and they sent me a new one.