Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by feh
My bet is on Rimowa noted that, complained, then CX tried to negotiate a good bulk discount for repair work, news finally broke out, and forced Rimowa to settle with CX...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:07 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Wonder if this still counts as Rimowa, and whether it'd still be subject to special handling

Haven't had any issues with it since purchasing it ~2 years ago.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The article has been updated with a quote from CX:

“Cathay Pacific has a long-standing relationship with Rimowa ... We have given some guidance to our frontline teams on the handling of bags made of lighter weight materials and will continue to review handling procedures and policies to ensure our customers and their baggage are well taken care of,” a spokeswoman said, adding that customers could in future ask for “fragile” tags for suitcases “on request”.
In the past, if you tried to check in a fragile item, you would be asked to sign a disclaimer stating that you were checking in something that could potentially get damaged and you wouldn't be able to claim damages from the airline. The last time I've seen this was more than ten years ago - I wonder if they still do it.

Maybe CX should make Rimowa owners sign that so that it makes people think twice about buying a bag that might not be fit for purpose.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
In the past, if you tried to check in a fragile item, you would be asked to sign a disclaimer stating that you were checking in something that could potentially get damaged and you wouldn't be able to claim damages from the airline. The last time I've seen this was more than ten years ago - I wonder if they still do it.

Maybe CX should make Rimowa owners sign that so that it makes people think twice about buying a bag that might not be fit for purpose.
I signed that last year when I was checking in my Samso**** with 6 bottles of wines in it at MEL...

Last week when I was returning from KIX I completely forgot that I had a bottle of whiskey in it and just checked it without any tag.... So didn't sign the fragile declaration...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Well they certainly didn't request any permission to use the photo I took at SYD and I guess they don't even know this was a photo at an Australian airport, not HKIA.
Have you posted the photo on other blogs/social media?

It's not just SCMP. a quick search on google shows a few travel mags have used your photo too.

http://www.weekendhk.com/travel-hot-...1%8c%e6%9d%8e/

https://lihkg.com/thread/195286/page/1

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant

http://www.gotrip.hk/travel-news/hot...1%8C%E6%9D%8E/

on top of the SCMP usage. At least Apple Daily did quote SCMP.

Perhaps we can give http://www.scmp.com/contactus shout, either to the editor's letter or the editor in chief, regarding the disregards of online properties.
But, dont hold your hopes too high, SCMP isnt the old SCMP and is owned under a communist umbrella.

Re Danny Lee HK Reporter, to us readers your name is on the same page as the stolen photo. If you cannot stand up for what your company do to a report (or part of a report) of yours, there's a few other English-based press out there.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
I signed that last year when I was checking in my Samso**** with 6 bottles of wines in it at MEL...

Last week when I was returning from KIX I completely forgot that I had a bottle of whiskey in it and just checked it without any tag.... So didn't sign the fragile declaration...
ex japan they always get us to sign - that never ceased, be it CX or JL or ANA. ex HK it was a random occurrence. I had it signed in 2014.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
The article has been updated with a quote from CX:

They still do. Family had to sign the disclaimer at LAX back in Jan. So probably it wouldn't be wise to ask for the fragile tag for rimowa if you have to do the same.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I asked for a fragile tag on my last week's flight ex HKG on CX, the agent said "okay, sure",but apparently forgot about it, because the bag arrived without a tag. That said,she did not ask me to sign anything. With other airlines I have also never been asked to sign anything when asking for a fragile tag.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
Have you posted the photo on other blogs/social media?

It's not just SCMP. a quick search on google shows a few travel mags have used your photo too.

http://www.weekendhk.com/travel-hot-...1%8c%e6%9d%8e/

https://lihkg.com/thread/195286/page/1

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant

http://www.gotrip.hk/travel-news/hot...1%8C%E6%9D%8E/

on top of the SCMP usage. At least Apple Daily did quote SCMP.

Perhaps we can give http://www.scmp.com/contactus shout, either to the editor's letter or the editor in chief, regarding the disregards of online properties.
But, dont hold your hopes too high, SCMP isnt the old SCMP and is owned under a communist umbrella.

Re Danny Lee HK Reporter, to us readers your name is on the same page as the stolen photo. If you cannot stand up for what your company do to a report (or part of a report) of yours, there's a few other English-based press out there.
I think they used the photo from here.
I did post it on my facebook however with only very limited views from friends.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
If anyone ever had a HND flight they would probably notice that 2/3 of the bags coming out of the carousel is a Rimowa.
And in CTS, it is probably almost 3/3 of the bags!

I have been using Tumis and Rimowas (aluminum & polycarbonate) for many years. Between the two brands, Tumis hold up much better than Rimowas (yes Rimowas do look better though). My Rimowas always have issues need fixing: missing wheel upon arrival, damaged handle, hinges, broken parts. They provide excellent services to be fair.

Ex-LAX this week the agent affixed fragile tags to all of our bags.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I basically conclude that Rimowas are very poorly made nowadays. I bought two. One in 2010, and one in 2012. The first to go are usually the wheels. They just get broken off. I found out the reason why ... One would think that the whole suitcase is made of one solid piece of metal and the wheels screwed on? No, the suitcase actually has 4 holes in the metal shell - that's where the wheels are. Once the wheels come off, it weakens the entire structure.

The next weakest link is the lock. It just jams up. Resets itself when its banged. I am not too bothered with scratches and nicks although there was a time after a flight that there was a deep gash on the shell that it looks as if it is penetrated through.

At least the service centre is at TST in HK and in Toa Payoh in Singapore.. Its not that convenient in Malaysia where the only place is in KUL. But the problem is when one is somewhere enroute and the locks cannot open, or the wheel has fallen off...

Since my bags are no longer on warranty, I have put them aside to be used as storage.. maybe as a coffee table. Its not worth my while or expense to repair them.

Its back to Samsonite for me. In my opinion, they are still the best bags ever made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.