Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage

Special Handling for all Rimowa brand check-in baggage

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
I did notice my last 2 flights my rimowa got a fragile tag without me requesting ex HKG and ICN. Wondered if something new was in place. It's a dangling tag not a sticker.

Around 6 months ago I received a new rimowa care of CX because mine was dinged at the corner beyond repair. The thing for me about rimowa is the free lifetime repairs for the little wear and tear things that happen to every bag of a busy traveler, just by dropping it off to the repair centre in TST. And the wheels are amazing.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I thought the point of purchasing Rimowa was because they are supposed to be tough! Bizarre.
The company which repairs luggage for SQ told me never to buy Rimowa as they are the major brand that is most susceptible to damage.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:49 am

I guess there must be too many people bleating about scratches on their status symbols. I'm surprised CX would go to the length of arranging special handling, maybe they just chuck them on the normal baggage conveyor once out of sight
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Look at what CX did to my 3 months old Salsa Air.

I only noticed it after I got home and luckily Rimowa was happy to replace it as it was within one year. I paid difference and upgrade to a Topas.

Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
All of this confirms my assertion that Rimowa is all brand name and marketing fluff (as well as being heavy and a waste of baggage allowance). The guarantee specifically excludes cracks and dents.

Samsonite, on the the other hand, have some models which they guarantee as unbreakable.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
All of this confirms my assertion that Rimowa is all brand name and marketing fluff (as well as being heavy and a waste of baggage allowance). The guarantee specifically excludes cracks and dents.

Samsonite, on the the other hand, have some models which they guarantee as unbreakable.
I've been using those unbreakable Samsonites for more than 5yrs already. A little scratches here and there, but no damages yet.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I have experienced the same at CPH while flying SK. In fact they tagged the suitcase and asked me to walk over to the oversized luggage counter and drop it off there.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:00 am

Firstly, how stupid and if people really spend that amount on luggage and then complain when it gets broken, then I have no sympathy.

That said, I bought a new large Rimowa a few years ago (the aluminium one), far too expensive but I like the look. On its first flight, LHR-HKG, it got a big dent in it from CXs handling. Very annoying but such is the reality when you buy something in a material that is prone to bending. That said, I'd have taken advantage of this service...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:18 am

I thought the point of an aluminium Rimowa was to get it scratched, battered and worn-looking? Develops over time and use. AFAIK Rimowa can knock out a real dent for you.

I have no faith in the plastic versions BTW, unless they're carried as hand baggage

IMO it's riduculous to separate these from other baggage

And yes - I have one - in aluminium!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I don't have any Rimowa check-in luggage, only a small cabin one; but I agree with some sentiments here that a lot of people just buy it for the status symbol. I didn't even buy the one I have as it was a raffle prize. I use my old (as in 15 year old) hard shell for check-in luggage and it hasn't cracked one bit. They don't make them like they use to that's for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
ok... When I read this in CX Secret I was thinking "How far can the stupidity of CX go?"... And I honestly never have think about how fragile Rimowa can be...

Why not ask the passenger to sign the fragile disclaimer instead? And wish their e bag tag system works... Hopfully the tag display won't be as fragile....

I never think about getting a Rimowa given its weight... With the increasing tightening hand carry rule (not within Asia maybe...) I don't know if any of the Rimowa aluminum model can be officially carry onboard with reasonable stuff put in it....

BTW I use Samsonite-s with 10 years warranty... After so many years of throwing around only some screws fell off twice... Took it over and they were fixed within a week... With my no-longer-smooth wheels replaced as well
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It's actually the other way round, the polycarbonate (not plastic!) ones are more durable (function over form) and the aluminum ones are more susceptible to damage (form over function - it's also a lot heavier.)

It also helps that the HKG shops have good service and are very accessible (Elements, Central, TST East, etc)

I switched to Rimowa from Samsonite last year and never looked back. The wheels make all the difference, on top of the aesthetics. I'll admit tho I reli run after clearing HND immigration now because my bags have almost been mistakenly taken away by other pax twice
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I don't have any Rimowa check-in luggage, only a small cabin one; but I agree with some sentiments here that a lot of people just buy it for the status symbol. I didn't even buy the one I have as it was a raffle prize. I use my old (as in 15 year old) hard shell for check-in luggage and it hasn't cracked one bit. They don't make them like they use to that's for sure.
And that's true for the Samsonite carry on cases too. My first one lasted 7 years of weekly travel. The second only did 3 years at the same frequency before its wheels needed replacing, then another 2 years. I've now been on Victorinox for the last 5 years and that's holding up.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
No complaints from me on CX handling of my Rimowa..

I have a rimowa case which is beat to crap but in all honesty 95% of the "damage" shown is from US domestic flights. I rarely notice so much as a scratch from CX flights, even where there's been handling by US handling agents.

These cases are meant to show dents and scratches...that's the point. If someone expects their case to look new after a flight or two, they need their head examined. Broken wheels, etc are another story. I'm just talking small dents and scratches.

Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by KACommuter
The company which repairs luggage for SQ told me never to buy Rimowa as they are the major brand that is most susceptible to damage.
and theft. Another brand prime for theft is Tumi.

I've been using only Samsonite since.
Fingers crossed... No major damage so far

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.