Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Damaged, substandard Zodiac seats hit Cathay Pacific image"

"Damaged, substandard Zodiac seats hit Cathay Pacific image"

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by kaka
move on, it doesnt affect cx's ability to fly you between ur OD. I dont think its in the coc that cx needs to provide you with functional seats as long as they are safe
Thanks for the advice, kaka. My post was informative, and I wasn't asking you (or CX for that matter) for compensation. Please remember to "move on" yourself the next time the inclination to write uninformative unhelpful posts on forums strikes you.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was just on A350 flights in J to and from HKG, the new route from TLV. I was astonished at the broken seats, and the other maintenance issues in the cabin.

This thread discussed the problems with the Zodiac seats http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...fic-image.html

These problems and others don't seem to affect dispatch on CX - on both my flights there were broken seats with paying customers in them so that the seat could not be moved electrically, only manually with the assistance of a flight attendant. On one full flight leaving HKG there was an unserviceable toilet, with an "out of service" sign stuck over the toilet near R1 door. so a full cabin with 38 pax + cabin crew + flight crew using 2 toilets - leading to queues.

the working bathrooms had slowly draining basins, so they filled when people washed their hands, and didn't drain in time for subsequent pax.

Honestly, having just moved from *A airlines, I had expected better from CX.

I highlighted this very problem on my AKL-HKG flight last month, also, the door wouldn't lock properly and the light did not function (this was Left Front toilet), cabin crew just shrugged as though this was normal.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
The bathrooms were a major problem Zodiac problem too. Actually, IIRC the bathrooms were what Airbus first went public with regarding A350 supplier issues. Although they said even worse in private.

Their problems extended beyond just the seats.
thats why the fares dropped
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....Honestly, having just moved from *A airlines, I had expected better from CX.
I would as well considering how CX is/was one of a number of airlines promoting their new 350s.

Originally Posted by cx4ever
Do you honestly think these problems would affect dispatch?....
I'm sure none of us think that. On the AC forum, we've posted photos of broken cabin components held together with duck tape, lavs with no water but instead, sanitizing wipe packages sitting in the sinks. (I've been on 3 of these myself, all 5 hour transcons - in J.

Originally Posted by kaka
move on, it doesnt affect cx's ability to fly you between ur OD. I dont think its in the coc that cx needs to provide you with functional seats as long as they are safe
No need to be harsh.

Whether a seat "works" may not affect the aircraft's ability to fly, but with some airlines, will definitely affect the ability for it to be sold/used.

I've been on Air Canada flights where the new J pods/seats were blocked and not sold. I had a seat on a new 788 which opened to the bed position and would not close. Even with the cabin crew attempting a manual reset, it would not close. Crew advised captain as open bed is a safety issue. Seat must be in upright position for landing. I played around with the buttons for a while, managed to get it back to the seat position just in time for landing. I assume it was either blocked to fixed for the next flight.

Thanks for the advice, kaka. My post was informative, and I wasn't asking you (or CX for that matter) for compensation. Please remember to "move on" yourself the next time the inclination to write uninformative unhelpful posts on forums strikes you.
Agree. My interpretation of your post was that you had made an observation based on your experience and did not ask for compensation.

Originally Posted by Lussac
I highlighted this very problem on my AKL-HKG flight last month, also, the door wouldn't lock properly and the light did not function (this was Left Front toilet), cabin crew just shrugged as though this was normal.
If these problems grow in quantity (pax experiences) and are not dealt with, eventually some people will start avoiding certain flights if they can. Others may run to the media and complain.

Speaking of broken seats, a fun post from another forum. LOL the OP and photo.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-seatmate.html

Oh, and if you think that only CX had seat issues with the 350....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...lass-seat.html
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just returned from KIX... Deliberately avoided CX595 which used 359 and took CX569 using 33E which has a 20 minutes earlier STD

Honestly I saw some wear and tear with my seat on 33E, the seat position lever and buttons as well as the remote controls were not quite sensitive, and there was a faulty seat that the pair of passengers have to change seat (yes, J was not full). But overall everything's fine... Feels better than the last time I flew the 359 J....

p.s. But I really can't understand why CX keeps the 359 in KIX for such a long hour... Flew 594 to KIX with a STA of 1250... What a long stop.....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sscywong
p.s. But I really can't understand why CX keeps the 359 in KIX for such a long hour... Flew 594 to KIX with a STA of 1250... What a long stop.....
I was curious also why 548/549 to HND and back has a long stop. 548 arrives around 1 in the afternoon and 549 doesnt depart until 4pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I was curious also why 548/549 to HND and back has a long stop. 548 arrives around 1 in the afternoon and 549 doesnt depart until 4pm
It's not always about aircraft utilization.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...ss-class-seats

Three aircraft to get a full new set of seats. The rest will be "remediated". Not sure if that means the remediated seats will be of a lower quality.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sxc

Three aircraft to get a full new set of seats. The rest will be "remediated". Not sure if that means the remediated seats will be of a lower quality.
Is that airline-speak for "reupholster"?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat - Oman Gold - Alaska MVP - Alitalia Ulisse | Accor Gold - Hilton Silver | Hertz PC
"New seats" = Cirrus or something else (Super Diamond is the first that comes in mind)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Flypremium
"New seats" = Cirrus or something else (Super Diamond is the first that comes in mind)
They will be the same model they are "ripping" out, just made better.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 24left
maybe i should put a secret marking and see if its still there after....hahaha
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc

Fantastic! Yea, as somewhat expected, this isn't going to be the end of the world. I count my beefs with CX in other areas, but long-haul hard product isn't one of them. Usually when something falls flat, they fix it (shell Y, coffin J, upholstering issue in coffin J all come to mind, and all were remedied). It seems that will be the case with the A350/Cirrus J seats as well.

Originally Posted by Flypremium
The seats are already an evolution of Cirrus...just a newer customization...I think you might be confused.

CX most definitely is not swapping to Super Diamond.

Originally Posted by sxc
They will be the same model they are "ripping" out, just made better.
Correct. This A350 issue reminds me a lot of the fabric issue during the first batch of Coffin J. And I will add, we all lost our minds about that for a year or so
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: All the programs!
Lol, just paint over it!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
No need to be harsh.

Whether a seat "works" may not affect the aircraft's ability to fly, but with some airlines, will definitely affect the ability for it to be sold/used.

I've been on Air Canada [snip].

Agree. My interpretation of your post was that you had made an observation based on your experience and did not ask for compensation.
certainly it is not a concern of CX, not sure why the general hostility (not towards you, 24left), i've never been harsh and am simply aligning expectations with what CX gives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.