Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Damaged, substandard Zodiac seats hit Cathay Pacific image"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Damaged, substandard Zodiac seats hit Cathay Pacific image"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Horizon360
Given all the difficulties that CX seems to have with its Zodiac business seats on its A350s, are business travellers likely to start avoiding this aircraft type?
Unlikely, despite the well publicized defects I heard it's been reported internally that customer satisfaction scores on the A350 are close to 20% above the fleet averages. People still greatly prefer the A350 to 777/333- and that's before the 777 goes 10-abreast...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Unlikely, despite the well publicized defects I heard it's been reported internally that customer satisfaction scores on the A350 are close to 20% above the fleet averages. People still greatly prefer the A350 to 777/333- and that's before the 777 goes 10-abreast...
Maybe because there are more Y and PE pax than J pax. And it's only the J seats that are problematic.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Maybe because there are more Y and PE pax than J pax. And it's only the J seats that are problematic.
I was specifically referring only to business class passengers in my original post.
Also, in terms of revenue generated, I was under the impression that per flight, more income was generated from J than Y or PE (especially for premium heavy configurations). Not sure if that's the case or not (happy to be proven wrong) but if so, surely CX would be very concerned about keeping its J class passengers happy.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
There is a difference between QR and CX. The former is subsidised by the state that has endless cash to support Al Baker with his demands and can afford to have the aircraft parked and forgo the new route start up.

On the other hand, CX is a commercial driven company that cannot afford to delay taking delivery beyond the committed dates provided by Airbus. There is so much you can go with managing resources against planning capacity that you are running within the airline.

CX are a tough negotiators too - its just that they don't do it in the style of Al Baker who acts like a spoil kid who lost his lollies and toys. Certainly not CX style. CX are well groomed executives with manners!

Originally Posted by Mach2.7
Agreed 100%. There is a lot of criticism in this industry about Qatar Airways' Mr Al Baker and his demanding standards of manufacturers and buyer furnished equipment vendors. CX is looking very amateurish on the A350 by comparison.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
There is a difference between QR and CX. The former is subsidised by the state that has endless cash to support Al Baker with his demands and can afford to have the aircraft parked and forgo the new route start up.

On the other hand, CX is a commercial driven company that cannot afford to delay taking delivery beyond the committed dates provided by Airbus. There is so much you can go with managing resources against planning capacity that you are running within the airline.

CX are a tough negotiators too - its just that they don't do it in the style of Al Baker who acts like a spoil kid who lost his lollies and toys. Certainly not CX style. CX are well groomed executives with manners!
Certainly agree about manners and how one should negotiate. But I would prefer for the J class cabin to be well groomed, rather than the CX executives If by circumstances CX are forced to take delivery of a defective product, at least have it rectified before putting it into service. Many of the reported defects are really basic stuff for an airline of CX's calibre.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I've always said this about Cathay's C class seats. It is not well-maintained and now it isn't even well-made. On almost every flight there's something wrong, damaged, etc. about my seat. This is not news for me, but I'm glad Cathay is finally owning up to it.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
deleted
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by jagmeets

Ohh and 11D/G are a disaster- total unmitigated disaster for a flight that you intend to sleep on. The forward loo doors are literally 2ft away from where your head would be...thankfully we planned to not sleep!
Totally agree.. i couldn't believe the layout of seat 11D/G and its proximity to the looks and was mentally making a note never to choose that seat...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
are overhead bins made by Airbus or Zodiac? Heard some people telling me that on some planes some have been taped shut because it was not locking properly.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Was on the CX473 last night sitting at first 16K the moved to 19K (sit on wrong seat!!!) The fabric fell apart between the seat and armrest and i can also see them falling apart on the bottom of the shell. Seat 16K's pocket under the mirror was broken too.

When the ISM greeted me I talked to her about the issue. She read articles before and totally agreed with my observation. She furthered explained these problems are getting commom and it's not good to the company.

She also said she's in the new business class seat design team and they have not chosen a particular seat product yet but rather working on the service as passengers want personal attention.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by cysyuen
She also said she's in the new business class seat design team and they have not chosen a particular seat product yet but rather working on the service as passengers want personal attention.
Nothing really wrong with the design of the current seat, it's just Zodiac having problems with the manufacturing / installation process. Having said that, some sliding doors (aka Delta One or Qatar QSuite) would be nice!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Dispatch from HKG with cabin MX issues

I was just on A350 flights in J to and from HKG, the new route from TLV. I was astonished at the broken seats, and the other maintenance issues in the cabin.

This thread discussed the problems with the Zodiac seats http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...fic-image.html

These problems and others don't seem to affect dispatch on CX - on both my flights there were broken seats with paying customers in them so that the seat could not be moved electrically, only manually with the assistance of a flight attendant. On one full flight leaving HKG there was an unserviceable toilet, with an "out of service" sign stuck over the toilet near R1 door. so a full cabin with 38 pax + cabin crew + flight crew using 2 toilets - leading to queues.

the working bathrooms had slowly draining basins, so they filled when people washed their hands, and didn't drain in time for subsequent pax.

Honestly, having just moved from *A airlines, I had expected better from CX.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Do you honestly think these problems would affect dispatch?

These problems are appearing on all CX A350 aircraft (if not already present) due to poor production quality from Zodiac (toilets as well). They'll have to cut the whole fleet if they cut one plane. Plus, would you rather have your flight cancelled and fly on El Al instead?

I'm not sure how 38 passengers can lead to long queues, the lowest pax per toilet number in economy is 38, so in this case you have half the number. I know you should expect more in J, but it's not like there's much they can do.

Plus... this probably should be on the same thread as the Zodiac seat issue thread.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was just on A350 flights in J to and from HKG, the new route from TLV. I was astonished at the broken seats, and the other maintenance issues in the cabin.

This thread discussed the problems with the Zodiac seats http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...fic-image.html

These problems and others don't seem to affect dispatch on CX - on both my flights there were broken seats with paying customers in them so that the seat could not be moved electrically, only manually with the assistance of a flight attendant. On one full flight leaving HKG there was an unserviceable toilet, with an "out of service" sign stuck over the toilet near R1 door. so a full cabin with 38 pax + cabin crew + flight crew using 2 toilets - leading to queues.

the working bathrooms had slowly draining basins, so they filled when people washed their hands, and didn't drain in time for subsequent pax.

Honestly, having just moved from *A airlines, I had expected better from CX.
move on, it doesnt affect cx's ability to fly you between ur OD. I dont think its in the coc that cx needs to provide you with functional seats as long as they are safe
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
The bathrooms were a major problem Zodiac problem too. Actually, IIRC the bathrooms were what Airbus first went public with regarding A350 supplier issues. Although they said even worse in private.

Their problems extended beyond just the seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.