Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
That makes sense, but how many portions will be loaded? The last thing that should happen is not enough catering like some red eyes
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Will be interested to see how the F menu then shapes up on this flight as to whether there is any replication in dishes.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by hl176
How will CX deal with quantities loaded if pax essentially try to sample everything?
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I imagine common sense will prevail. we'll have to see but i think it's fair to say you can't "sample everything".

folks on airplanes lose sight of the fact it's still food....in a metal tube. By no absolute standard is most of the food I eat on planes, particularly in J but usually in F too, "fine cuisine" and anything I'd go out of my way of on the ground.

i've been on a flight to YYZ before where a (disgruntled) passenger was told no, he couldn't order 4 hamburgers. We were in J class. He was some body builder type, only wanted the protein I think. He was a little miffed but if you think about it, this makes perfect sense.
I think OMAAT reported some years ago that their EY flight had run out of food in J. It was claimed that some passengers received op-ups and, after having the DoD concept explained to them, went wild and ordered multiple entrees. They don't allow that any more. I am sure CX won't either.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Although it is dine on demand, I would assume the prior to take off, the flight attendant will go around asking each passenger for their choices and the approximate time they want to dine. The choices will then be "reserved" for the passenger and only heated up when the he/she is ready to eat.

On QR, I was told that I should choose something even if I don't know when I want to eat so that I can be guaranteed my choice when I actually want to eat.
Yes, that happens on both QR and EY, but you don't have to specify a time. I say "whenever I wake up" and they say "It will take 20-30 min to prepare it, is that all right?" Of course, it is all right. But knowing CX, I suspect they will not be so flexible, they will look unhappy and insist on knowing exactly when I will eat.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:56 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Also, for anyone that will be on the trial flights, the crew performance/service will be very different from when it becomes rolled out at a full scale. This is because from what I know these are crew that voluntarily signed up for these trials (much to the despise of their peers), so they won't feel 'stung' unlike what happened on the 846 trial two years ago.

In other words, the actual impact on crew and service will remain to be seen.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I sure hope your cabin crew friend won't get into trouble for leaking it...
Nah! I dun have any cabin crew friend! I received it from other source.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:00 am

Hope these menus haven't gone to print yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing a pain au raison. A bit more proofreading might be helpful...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone noticed that they are now offering Lobster and Abalone on JCL? I don't even see those in F anymore.

Oh and shaved truffles too....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:17 pm

Has anyone noticed that they are now offering Lobster and Abalone on JCL? I don't even see those in F anymore.

Haha I'm getting excited. The Eton mess sounds really good too... hopefully it's presented well.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
But out of all things, they cut the tea set!

It's the only edible thing on the current menu (okay maybe the burger too)...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:16 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

Does this mean that we'll see more variance and improvements in F?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Another update for you guys

http://imgur.com/a/1L5ZN
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by HKGEDI

http://imgur.com/a/1L5ZN
\

I know they are PR shots but looks impressive. Massive improvement from previous appearance.

Let's see if it resembles this in the air.....
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:59 am

In reality, I doubt it will look that good. God bless you guys and I hope you don't have to wait too long for your meals.

Looking forward to reading the comments!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
unlike what happened on the 846 trial two years ago.
Not getting this reference. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction if there's a thread, or elaborate?

Originally Posted by HKGEDI

http://imgur./a/1L5ZN
Nah...not buying it. There WILL be casseroles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.