Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Betsy Beer, the world’s first beer brewed specially for 35,000ft.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

Not sure if you guys have seen the videos of the new beer to be served on board CX flights.

Heard they are loading 10 in J and 4 in F....EY wont get any I guess.

Anyway I seriously don't understand why CX can't focus on the basics and make their meals taste like actual food at 35,000 feet. It's ridiculous that they spend money on such frivolity and cut back on things that actually matter to many if not all passengers.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:28 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Looks like it's brewed by the Hong Kong Beer Co. I remember I tried a beer from them a few years ago and wasn't particularly impressed.

And looks like others aren't particularly impressed either:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hong-k...ay-ipa/254184/
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: MP, BR
I have a feeling that CX might get paid to try this out, publicity for HK beer in this case probably worth a lot more.

I've never tried their beers (never had any incentives to).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Chromie25
I have a feeling that CX might get paid to try this out, publicity for HK beer in this case probably worth a lot more.

I've never tried their beers (never had any incentives to).
ding ding ding
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
SAS has exclusive beer brewed just for their flights. Perhaps CX doesn't think it's specially brewed for 35,000ft if it thinks Betsy Beer is the world's first

https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/...-sas-travelers
http://apex.aero/2015/12/01/craft-be...ing-revolution
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:38 pm

Hong Kong Beer Co changed hands if I recall. Their offering in the past several years is significantly better to what it was five years ago.

I agree that Cathay should fix the basics but I do appreciate this attempt at differentiation and playing into its roots. It's a shame they're not offering it more widely.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Yea, to be fair this is way better than the current beer CX serves. It'd be nice to have an option that isn't just some ubiquitous, boring macro brew. Any improvement in the beverages I'm all for it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:51 pm

Visitied their Chai Wan brewery a while back, IHMO it's one of the better local breweries. While i firmly believe beer should contain nothing other than hops, malt, yeast and water, I am very much looking forward to trying it. It may not be as original as they claim it to be, for once I am truly enjoying a CX marketing plot ^
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
But given how few they are loading, you can't enjoy it much for a long haul flight!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:45 am

My main problem is that I don't fly to LHR How about a brewery Do, get hammered with our new friend Betsy at 10 ft altitude
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yea, to be fair this is way better than the current beer CX serves. It'd be nice to have an option that isn't just some ubiquitous, boring macro brew. Any improvement in the beverages I'm all for it.
Indeed... I'm tired of their beer choices...

San Miguel / Carlsberg (both pretty bad I must say)...
Heineken (drinkable and quite delicious)

They don't even have Tsingtao now...

Once you drink craft... it's hard to drink normal mass market beers (save for a few when in the mood for it...)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Ah - having now watched the video I understand gpia's comment - it's pretty rare that I feel in the mood for alcoholic fruit drinks made with longan and honey...

What a shame that they couldn't just replace one of their 3 generic lagers with a decent ale!

Nice subtle plugs for The Globe in the video thought! I wonder if they will also be serving it? Will check with Toby (the guy with the clipboard in the video) next time I'm there.

Last edited by christep; Feb 22, 2017 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen
Indeed... I'm tired of their beer choices...

San Miguel / Carlsberg (both pretty bad I must say)...
Heineken (drinkable and quite delicious)

They don't even have Tsingtao now...

Once you drink craft... it's hard to drink normal mass market beers (save for a few when in the mood for it...)
having lived in NL for a bit i'd say Heineken is worse than San Miguel. but anyways.... no longer crave for a beer on flights when there are more better stuff in lounges. (obviously i dont mean SIN before QF opens)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by christep
Ah - having now watched the video I understand gpia's comment - it's pretty rare that I feel in the mood for alcoholic fruit drinks made with longan and honey...

What a shame that they couldn't just replace one of their 3 generic lagers with a decent ale!
Right but if did add these flavors to balance the intensity of the hops, it might just work up in the air (and probably much less so down here). Time to play you've been iced betsy'd mid air
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by christep
But given how few they are loading, you can't enjoy it much for a long haul flight!
I believe the current numbers are just for the select flights it's going to be tested on. I'd imagine they will load more if they do decide to roll it out across more of the network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.