HKG 85min CX to CX transit.

Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

HKG 85min CX to CX transit.

Hey all,

I'm just wondering how 'doable' a 1hr20min transit is at HKG?

I'm booking a multi-city economy ticket NRT-HKG/PVG-TYO. Annoyingly, the only options it brings up ex PVG is for flights departing from 12:20 onwards despite there being several earlier flights from PVG. I'd much prefer to take an earlier flight from PVG and have a longer transit to be safe and although cathaypacific.com offers these departures for a straight out return economy flight it does not for multi city bookings, instead giving departures from 12:20 onwards.

I guess my biggest concern is that although i'm an infrequent china - asia traveller (I usually fly BA direct back to the UK) i've heard that delays on PVG-asia flights can be horrendous so i'm somewhat concerned with such a short HKG transit.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
To clarify, are you trying to book NRT-HKG / PVG-HKG-TYO?

Can you perhaps try multi-city segment by segment?

If it is on one ticket you'll be protected.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BA6501
To clarify, are you trying to book NRT-HKG / PVG-HKG-TYO?

Can you perhaps try multi-city segment by segment?

If it is on one ticket you'll be protected.

It is very confusing but I think your guess should be correct. If it's one ticket, no need to worry to much, any delays from PVG and they will put you on the next HKG-TYO flight. If you have to be at TYO at certain time, then you will need a longer layover. 80 minutes is very comfortable at HKG if that was your question
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes its a single ticket but it is essential I get to HND that same evening as I have a departing flight from HND at 00:01.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:41 pm

So you're talking about PVG-HKG CX367 followed by CX542.

You do not want to take any later flight from HKG to HND, which leaves you only one hour at HND and being separate ticket will be a problem.

Good news is that at PVG, you can always ask at check in to move you to an earlier flight, providing seats available, free of charge. So be there early and get onto any earlier flight to HKG is the safest bet.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is an extremely risky itin that I would never tempt myself.
If you stick with CX367, you get a good chance to miss your transfer in HKG and be put on CX(KA)5396 with ETA in HND at 22:55. A one-hour min connection in HND on a separate ticket is is iffy, especially if CX is delayed.

Sure you can try to fight your way at PVG and manage to get on an earlier flight. But so much stress and uncertainty.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bananahead
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes its a single ticket but it is essential I get to HND that same evening as I have a departing flight from HND at 00:01.
Then why not fly SHA-HND nonstop on JL, MU, or NH? Inserting HK into the mix is playing with fire.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Then why not fly SHA-HND nonstop on JL, MU, or NH? Inserting HK into the mix is playing with fire.

I think OP needs to visit HK before going to Shanghai.

I guess another option would be buying a ticket to HKG with MU, stopover in PVG on the way back. OP might even save the hassle and cost of getting a Chinese visa
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I think OP needs to visit HK before going to Shanghai.
Yes. He made that pretty clear in the OP, but also clear is that the second stop in HK is only to connect there. This is something that regular Shanghai travelers avoid like the plague, let alone when hard deadlines are involved.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

I'm booking a multi-city economy ticket NRT-HKG/PVG-TYO.
This is a textbook example of Too Much Information (TMI).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Looks like a super risky plan to me. Unless of course those extra miles are essential to maintain status then you would be better off going NH/JL TYO-HKG/PVG-HND. They have a fare for about Ł400-Ł500 a.i
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Not only risky, but a loooong way from PVG to HND. Book nonstop on a separate ticket!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:41 am

I suggested that in post 7.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies folks. My itinerary is TYO-HKG. Then PVG - TYO. I've taken the advice and booked a one way TYO-HKG on CX and a redemption flight on JL PVG-TYO. It's a bit of a shame the one way flight on CX is essentially the same price as the open jaw return was but at least i'll get where I need to be.

Thanks again. :-) BH
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Thanks for all the replies folks. My itinerary is TYO-HKG. Then PVG - TYO. I've taken the advice and booked a one way TYO-HKG on CX and a redemption flight on JL PVG-TYO. It's a bit of a shame the one way flight on CX is essentially the same price as the open jaw return was but at least i'll get where I need to be.

Thanks again. :-) BH
PVG-HND/NRT is certainly a big improvement over your original plan, but SHA-HND is even better, and the cost is the same if you're redeeming points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.