Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Question: CX Reward Y Seat for HKG-YYZ in Jan 2018

Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:07 pm
alc
Original Poster

Mod: I did a few quick search and I can't seems to find the thread that address my question. If there is an existing thread, please merge it for me. Thanks.

I am not a CX guy hence this is really a newbie question I guess.

I had been checking every day (on BA.com) for a HKG-YYZ CX reward Y seat for Jan 2018. But it look like CX is not releasing them, only PE and J. I can get an AC flight with my AC*SE IKK, but the later departure time is better.

I found there is zero Y reward seat available from Dec 25,m 2017 to Jan 25, 2018. I had been monitoring daily since Mid-Dec as each day release. I did the same last year and actually monitor all the way until Sept 2016 and the same result, hence up just went with my AC option.

So my question - is it normal for CX not releasing any Y seat for this ~30 days period?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Which part of Jan are you considering?

The first two weeks of Jan are filled with lots of students travelling from HKG back to YYZ for school, along with lots of Hong Kong immigrants travelling from HKG back to YYZ after spending Christmas/New Year in Hong Kong. The flight is always heavily overbooked during the first two weeks of Jan. I have had lots of op-ups on this route in the past due to over booking, and I have also had a couple offers from check-in staff to fly the next day flight. So in short, the chance of CX releasing a reward Y seat is unfortunately quite low.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:58 pm

Plenty of Y availability throughout January using AM, except around 3-8 Jan.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: MP, BR
In addition, many people in HKG will look for award seats for HKG-YYZ. Personally I have a few friends who checks on CX website (they are MPC/AM members) more than daily.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:12 am
alc
Original Poster

I am looking for the week of Jan 15, date are flexible. So, if they are showing on Asia Miles, is that means CX is not releasing it for OneWorld partners only?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
I believe it is fairly common that CX will release reward seats opened only to its own program (AM) before opening them up for all OW programs.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by alc
I am looking for the week of Jan 15, date are flexible. So, if they are showing on Asia Miles, is that means CX is not releasing it for OneWorld partners only?
Don't know how the system works exactly but checked the dates and 15 Jan is available in Y using AM
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:13 pm
alc
Original Poster

I guess I either need to get my miles into an Asia Miles account or go with my AC option then. Thanks everyone for their quick respond
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:30 pm
alc
Original Poster

So, I finally login my Asia Miles account info and check the dates that I want and show the direct flight (CX 826) also are not available. All of them actually showing the same as what the BA screen showing me.

For those the respond stating they see Y being available, was that for CX826 (or CX828) for the week of Jan 15th, 2018?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by alc
So, I finally login my Asia Miles account info and check the dates that I want and show the direct flight (CX 826) also are not available. All of them actually showing the same as what the BA screen showing me.

For those the respond stating they see Y being available, was that for CX826 (or CX828) for the week of Jan 15th, 2018?

Thanks.
Checked and I probably see what you have seen: no direct Y availability 14-20/1/2018, all are HKG-LHR(or LGW/LHR)-YYZ. Some direct PEY availability though.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:06 pm
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by watery
Checked and I probably see what you have seen: no direct Y availability 14-20/1/2018, all are HKG-LHR(or LGW/LHR)-YYZ. Some direct PEY availability though.
Thanks, BA show PEY too. I had my points in BA and they only need 35K for Y, but 70K for PEY (and 105K for J).

So, I guess I will re-ask my original question, does CX normally not release these 2 direct flights (CX826 and CX 828) during these ~30 days (~Dec 25 to Jan 25) period? As mentioned on 1st post, I had been monitoring daily on BA as they release and they never have it available.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by alc

Thanks.
That was me, and apologies - I didn't catch you were looking for the direct flight.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:23 pm
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia
That was me, and apologies - I didn't catch you were looking for the direct flight.
no need to apologies, it was me not specific about CX metal and direct flight n my 1st post.

All I want to know is whether CX does do this every year. As mentioned where last year, I keep searching every single day until Sept-ish and those days never get release. Hence, I wonder if CX actually has black out certain flights, I build up my BA balance a few years ago just so I can get CX direct between YYZ and HKG. I can get YYZ-HKG, but never be able to get HKG-YYZ, unless I am willing to use double or triple the BA Avios points for PEY or J. If I knew it will be this bad, I would have transfer my credit card points else where instead.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
If you really have to fly this route on these dates, I would look into part-pay (formally 'Avios and Money') options for PEY, which despite the devalued rates now is still pretty cheap (if pricing from ba.com hong kong, it should only be around $0.01 USD per Avios or even less.)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:01 am
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If you really have to fly this route on these dates, I would look into part-pay (formally 'Avios and Money') options for PEY, which despite the devalued rates now is still pretty cheap (if pricing from ba.com hong kong, it should only be around $0.01 USD per Avios or even less.)
Thanks for your help.

I have enough Avios balance to do the 70K PEY or 105K J, but we are fine with Y. Also I only value my Avios at CAD $0.01.

My family is one of those that rather get quantity over quality in regarding to reward ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.