Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay A350 vs AirNZ 777 AKL-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Cathay A350 vs AirNZ 777 AKL-HKG

Hello.

Was just about to book PE flight from AKL-TPE via HKG on Air NZ when I noticed Cathay are now using the A350 on the route.

I am OW Emerald with Qantas and AirNZ Gold.

The A350 PE product looks great with bigger screens and more modern interior then the Air NZ 777. I also favor Cathay's daytime flight so I can get some work done and arrive in Taiwan at night rather then AirNZs late night departure to HKG meaning meal service would be at like 2am. But I havent flown Cathay in probably 10 years so no idea what they are like these days.

Has anyone compared both products yet?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Haven't flown either product yet, so can't offer anything in depth however NZ operate the 772 on the AKL-HKG route versus a brand new A350. You said it yourself in that you prefer the CX departure time as well. Perhaps there's some others who can provide better insight.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
CX A350s have wi-fi. NZ doesn't, IIRC.

Fyi, you will want to check precisely when you're flying. CX also is currently (and short-lived) flying one of its 77W variants 77G to AKL, from now until March 1 on one of two dailies. CX does not have wi-fi on any of its aircraft except for the A350. On March 1, both flights go to A350 daily.

You can check the link below to see details of what is flying to AKL when for CX
CX Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the replies. Good to know WIFI is an option.

Just discovered China Airlines fly from AKL and can do return J fares for less then either Cathay or NZ's PE fares! So i'm going to try them out.

Only thing is I wont gather points or status to either of my programs but arriving direct into TPE via BNE will be nice.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Go with CX. With Emerald the CX lounges are the best to visit in HKG. The A350s are brand new and feature a superior seat imo plus wifi.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Go with CX. With Emerald the CX lounges are the best to visit in HKG. The A350s are brand new and feature a superior seat imo plus wifi.
CX Y+ won't be superior to china airlines J.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Nz pe is miles ahead of cx's.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
NZ got the best Pe product out there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.