Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific vs Cathay Dragon - safety, reliability, experience, etc?

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club

I'm in the process of booking my first trip ever to Asia, and also my first really long flight, which will include a leg between Hong Kong and Taipei.

Most flights on my original day of choice require a transfer to (or codeshare/operation share with) Cathay Dragon, which I gather is originally Dragonair.

- Is this actually a good airline, with the same quality, safety, reliability and experience as Cathay Pacific, or is the "Cathay" just a branding ploy?
- How does their service compare?
- How do their pilots, aircraft and maintenance compare? Which one has the oldest planes?

Summary: what are the pros and cons of taking the "Dragon" VS choosing a different day so I can guarantee myself a "Pacific"?

Note: I have mild-moderate fear of flying, which is why I'm a bit fussy whenever I have to buy a plane ticket... please forgive me for that.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Cathay Dragon is an affiliate of Cathay Pacific, pretty much like relationship between American Airlines and American Eagle.

-Yes, it is a good airline. The food on KA is somewhat superior to CX but they are getting close. KA offers the same seating as CX regional on all aircrafts except the A320. Reliability wise because KA flies to mainland China it is somewhat more prone to delays.
-Service is similar. Maybe CX crews are more experienced but I usually find KA crews more cheerful.
-KA has older planes, but they are thoroughly refurbished so you can't really tell their age. CX is maintained by CX while KA is maintained by HAS, a subsidiary of CX, which is similar IMO.

Summary: Go with KA if it fits your schedule better. You can't go wrong too much with a regional flight...
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by shd9
Cathay Dragon is an affiliate of Cathay Pacific, pretty much like relationship between American Airlines and American Eagle.

-Yes, it is a good airline. The food on KA is somewhat superior to CX but they are getting close. KA offers the same seating as CX regional on all aircrafts except the A320. Reliability wise because KA flies to mainland China it is somewhat more prone to delays.
-Service is similar. Maybe CX crews are more experienced but I usually find KA crews more cheerful.
-KA has older planes, but they are thoroughly refurbished so you can't really tell their age. CX is maintained by CX while KA is maintained by HAS, a subsidiary of CX, which is similar IMO.

Summary: Go with KA if it fits your schedule better. You can't go wrong too much with a regional flight...
Thank you SHD9.

I ended up getting a CX somehow... seems like the Cathay Pacific website shows flight choices randomly. I wonder if it's a bug on their site..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.