Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Paying extra taxes on redemption upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I confirmed a redemption upgrade yesterday from PEY to J and I was asked to pay HKD30 for some sort of tax. The phone line was bad so I didn't bother to ask for an explanation.

No big deal, but I'm curious as to what this charge is for. I have never paid extra taxes on a redemption or operational upgrade before, after all I've paid the taxes on my original ticket.

Does anyone know if this is a new thing and what the extra taxes/charges are for?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:12 pm

What is the route? If it is from HKG i'm guessing it's the difference of Airport Construction Fee but it should be HKD20 for long hual (HKD160 for Y including PEY and HKD180 for J/F)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: CX
FX rate probably changed .
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by nolounge
FX rate probably changed .
Nothing to do with FX rate. They collect in HKD, and should be HKD20 (started late last year and was like that two days ago).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Right - it was HKD20.

That explains it. It was HKG-MEL leg of my trip. Must be the difference in the airport construction fee for J class. Presumably only payable for legs originating in HKG?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Right - it was HKD20.

That explains it. It was HKG-MEL leg of my trip. Must be the difference in the airport construction fee for J class. Presumably only payable for legs originating in HKG?
If you transit in HKG, the fee also applies (but at a different scale).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.