Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New London Heathrow (LHR) lounge - experience and reviews

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Reviews:

First Class [by Genius1]

Business Class [by Genius1]

Business and First Lounges [by Corporate-Wage-Slave]

Business Class [by Jermyn]

First Class [by Jermyn]
First Class [by Rami Tamimi]

For menus in the lounge see here:

CX F Class Lounge menus
Print Wikipost

New London Heathrow (LHR) lounge - experience and reviews

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GLABA
I'm flying with BA to Prague next week and was surprised when I made the booking it was from T3 rather than T5.

As OWS I'd like to check out the noodle bar... but I'm a T3 newbie. How much of a walk is it to the lounge? The T3 map says 10mins, but I'm wondering if thats accurate. Just so I have a guess how much wondering about I'll need to do!

Also while I'm asking, approx how long does it take from landing to getting to the underground when coming back into T3? (I know there is a lot of margin in there)

Thanks,
It can take anywhere from 20mins to 2h+.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
To get to the CX lounge from the BA lounge is literally 5 minutes max.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by stimpy
Allow me to have a contrary opinion. Although the hard product here in the CX First class area is excellent, aside from the noodles, the F&B is no better than BA's GF. In fact the alcohol and wine selection is a good step below BA's GF. And while this all looks sharp and new now, we all know the furniture will get beat up over time and look generally like what we see in the BA lounge. So if you arrive a year from now and it is a busy hour in the CX lounge, I would say the BA GF is better, and again better drinks if that matter to you.

But at this moment the lounge is rather empty and I am very comfortable. The Dan Dan noodle dish was excellent. ^

Also a mention for the "dragon" who very warmly welcomed me in to the First area with my BA Gold CE BP. And unlike BA agents, she stepped from behind the counter to properly greet me and show me around. However I wonder how good and personable this service, and equally the great service from the wait staff, will be on a busy day in July.
I think your glass of inferior champagne is half empty

For the daytime natural light alone I would pick CX over the BA F dungeon.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
BA has one lounge for F pax only, QR has one each lounge for F and J pax only. I have been to the BA one and QR J one, CX's lounges at HKG are way better than those stupid none elite lounges.
I agree. CX lounges at HKG are better than the BA and QR J lounges overall. However I feel the BA CCR and QR J do have a better selection of alcohol.

In terms of food, service, ambiance, showers etc CX lounges (particularly the Pier F & J lounges) are hard to beat.

The CX London lounges are also surperb.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:48 pm

Checked this out in December, and LOVED it! Really nice space and it was rather empty. Lots of options at the Noodle Bar, although the Dan Dan noodles were too peanut-butter-y for my liking.

I also love a lounge where you can catch a spectacular sunset.

Didn't visit any other lounges so I can't comment, but if I ever fly through Terminal 3 again, Cathay lounge will be my choice!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: MPC DM
I visited the F lounge at LHR shortly before Christmas and really loved it. In terms of hard product, I preferred the old CX lounge to competitor lounges, but this takes things to a whole new level. I did quite like the breakfast buffet in BA F during the CX absence (black pudding and hash browns), but enjoyed more having great a la carte eggs benedict in the new restaurant.

I like that the look and feel mirrors Pier F in Hong Kong (which I really enjoy visiting) although of course, due to size alone, LHR cannot compare. I even noticed that it had the same "scent" upon entry - before that, I was not even aware that CX lounges have a signature scent.

The lounge was quite empty for the morning flight, so it seems that most passengers of other airlines will simply go to the lounge they are directed to on the invitation, unless they frquent this forum or are firmly oneworld travellers and keen to explore other lounges (-off topic, but why would someone with a choice go to the CX lounge in NRT if entitled to use JAL lounge?).

After breakfast, I got tied up on work calls and emails, so I didn't have the chance to visit the business lounge, but I will try next time, particularly as I enjoy sitting at a tended bar in favour of self serve drinks to take back to your seat.

Truly a remarkable lounge, even more so given that it's an outport.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have deleted a few posts related to the discussion of lounges which are exclusively for First Class passengers. These were off topic, so let's keep this thread on the discussion of the London CX lounges.

Thanks

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Had my first stint a week ago on a DUS - LHR - HKG etc journey.

What a pain in the neck transiting on the crowded bus from T5 to T3, not to mention the masses of people queueing for T5 - T5 transit security. Should probably have gone through T5 immigration and then taken Heathrow Express to T3 landside security check instead.

The lounge itself was pleasant, special mention to the cleverly partitioned shower cabin. Everything else very adequate, a calm oasis in the midst of T3. Service at the front desk really friendly and service minded. Clearly the staff is proud of their new premises.

The trek to the CX gates (CX238 this time) was about the same as before but preferred the more open gate area.

Last edited by mosburger; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mosburger
What a pain in the neck transiting on the crowded bus from T5 to T3, not to mention the masses of people queueing for T5 - T5 transit security. Should probably have gone through T5 immigration and then taken Heathrow Express to T3 landslide security check instead.

The lounge itself was pleasant, special mention to the cleverly partitioned shower cabin. Everything else very adequate, a calm oasis in the midst of T3. Service at the front desk really friendly and service minded. Clearly the staff is proud of their new premises.
Tried out this new lounge too on Christmas eve (sadly not taking a CX but AA flight after that).

Indeed, the T5-T3 transit was terrible - had never seen lines so long waiting for the transfer bus and @ T3 security, lines were crazy long even @ the Premium line.

Love how they have done the lounge. Even though smaller dining area as compared to HKG, still food was good although I would have liked the servers to be a bit more welcoming in the dining area. The asian breakfast set was a good combination and tasted good.

Other than that, this place seems like heaven compared to the dump what BA calls a lounge. My 2nd option would be the AA lounge which I consider much better now compared to the BA lounge.

Cheers!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Except LHR has Dan-Dan. Notably missing from TPE lounge the other day.
But the noodles taate good in TPE, at LHR they are disgusting. I did not try dan-dan but did try fried rice, wonton, and udon. All bad
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by s0ssos
But the noodles taate good in TPE, at LHR they are disgusting. I did not try dan-dan but did try fried rice, wonton, and udon. All bad
The Dan Dan tasted great to me, however I should qualify that to say great considering we are in the UK. Hong Kong noodle shops are a rather different thing.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I finally managed to visit the lounge this week. To say that I am impressed is an understatement. I have uploaded a few pics,they are not high quality and will not show anything new,but I thought the review would be better with them.

I thought there is that familiar scent when I entered the elevators area, but I thought it was just me being excited to be in CX territory ,but then I saw another poster mentioning this too.

I congratulated the lounge receptionists and the first Plaza Premium staff inside for finally opening the new lounge and they really appreciated the comments. The PP staff invited me to have lunch (I was planning to take a few pics first), he was genuinely so welcoming, so I felt I just had to go. There were only 3 people dining during that time (1PM,so just before pax for the 2xHKG flights start to come in).

I ordered the Tuna Salad (which was perfect), Salmon (alright, could be better) and the cheese board (I thought it was better than the HKG version), the service was very very fast and friendly.

I went to explore the rest of the lounge and again,it was impressive too.I did think that the pictures on the internet make the lounge look much large than it actually is and I do think it can fill up during the departure of those 2xHKG evening flights.

The seating with footrest along the windows is perfect and has those Pier style power sockets in the table. This is probably my favorite spot in the lounge. The view of the tarmac is also much better than from The Pier.

I visited the showers and they had this HKG style shower receptionists instead of leaving your BP in exchange for a key. The amenities they had in the shower were exactly the same as you would find in the HKG lounges too. The space and ventilation were both good (in some lounges,the showers are not ventilated well, so you feel like you need another shower by the time you put your clothes on).

I was particularly impressed with the staff,we recognised each other from the old lounge,but I never really talked to them. I asked if they had the CX Rooster 2017 toy (I have a habbit of collecting them) for sale and they said no and suggested I try asking onboard when I fly CX,they also asked to leave an my email, so they can possibly arrange to have one delivered for my next lounge visit. They saw me slightly upset and then another staff came in and asked what is the problem, so her colleague told her. The said staff then went to the backroom and got me the Rooster, which turned out to be her personal one. I felt bad for taking her own toy and tried to decline, but she was having none of it.

I asked for a comment card to praise the staff and the design team for the good work they have done renovating the lounge and they had a Samsung tablet, which apparently sends feedback directly to HKG.

In total,very impressed with the new lounge and I glad that RJ will never have to pay BA again for me,since I will never set my foot again in that dump again.
Attached Images      
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

some more:
Attached Images      
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:03 pm

and some more:
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:07 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
On Friday I had a sea bass for a change (F-cl lounge). Was OK. Next time it will be back to Dan Dan

PS. Lounge was very busy before CX238/250 left (maybe not UA Club Zoo busy, but with most seats occupied).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.