Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

cathay fare 'calendar' view not available for business class fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

For the last few weeks, every time I try to search for a business itinerary on the Cathay site and select the 'Flexible with travel dates" option, I get the message "Fare search by "Flexible with travel dates" is not available for your chosen itinerary." and have to check every day and flight combo manually for a price. Anyone else experiencing this?

e.g. OSL-HKG RT FEB 1st - 30th
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
either fares have not been loaded, or OSL is a minor outport that doesn't have the calendar table

I'm guessing its the former. But it's pretty late for fares not to be loaded yet. Or maybe a POS issue?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

thanks for suggestion. I fly OSL - HKG on CX at least twice per year and have only started hitting this issue.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:52 pm

It will be the former I reckon (volume of OSL-HKG J class passengers/ searches doesn't justify having calendar table)

Blame the meta-search engines (Kayak, Google flights etc) They go in and refresh their caches on all available routes very frequently. OK for the airline for (say) MAN-HKG, but for a situation like this (OSL-HKG in business) the costs to the airline probably aren't worth it, so they move some routes to flight/ day search to reduce the load on their system
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
I think that Peasant is correct, this is almost certainly due to so called 'robotic' search behaviour. I work for an aviation tech co and this is a common problem. Removing rarely used ODs from calendar search reduces the impact of robotics.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by vand_hk
For the last few weeks, every time I try to search for a business itinerary on the Cathay site and select the 'Flexible with travel dates" option, I get the message "Fare search by "Flexible with travel dates" is not available for your chosen itinerary." and have to check every day and flight combo manually for a price. Anyone else experiencing this?

e.g. OSL-HKG RT FEB 1st - 30th
I expect all airlines have a problem with this itinerary. We have to define a calendar with 30 days in February.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I expect all airlines have a problem with this itinerary. We have to define a calendar with 30 days in February.
haha - thanks! yes, I meant to say 1-28 as per the search I tried.

Sounds like they have removed this itinerary from calendar view for tech reasons .. understandable but frustrating for finding a good fare now
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by vand_hk
haha - thanks! yes, I meant to say 1-28 as per the search I tried.

Sounds like they have removed this itinerary from calendar view for tech reasons .. understandable but frustrating for finding a good fare now
Have you tried ITA matrix or google flights, they show the same J fares as CX.com would show, although this may not be true for Y or Y+
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by :D!
Have you tried ITA matrix or google flights, they show the same J fares as CX.com would show, although this may not be true for Y or Y+
Are the prices on ITA matrix accurate? I was looking at some ex-ARN I class tickets but neither London nor HK ticketing is able to price the tickets in I class.

How do people book ex-ARN/OSL tickets given there are no ticketing offices in those countries? London ticketing office was able to price C-class fare for ARN-LHR-HKG outbound and I-class inbound, where ARN-LHR is with British Airways. When I asked for ARN-DOS-HKG, where ARN-DOS is with Air Berlin, they somehow outright refused to price saying since Air Berlin is the first carrier I should contact Air Berlin to price/issue the ticket instead. If that is the case how come they were able to price (and issue) ARN-LHR-HKG tickets? CX doesn't seem to do codeshare on both occassions.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by chfshifter
Are the prices on ITA matrix accurate? I was looking at some ex-ARN I class tickets but neither London nor HK ticketing is able to price the tickets in I class.

How do people book ex-ARN/OSL tickets given there are no ticketing offices in those countries? London ticketing office was able to price C-class fare for ARN-LHR-HKG outbound and I-class inbound, where ARN-LHR is with British Airways. When I asked for ARN-DOS-HKG, where ARN-DOS is with Air Berlin, they somehow outright refused to price saying since Air Berlin is the first carrier I should contact Air Berlin to price/issue the ticket instead. If that is the case how come they were able to price (and issue) ARN-LHR-HKG tickets? CX doesn't seem to do codeshare on both occassions.
In the past I've found using multi-city solves this for the ex-Osl fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.