Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Slowly discovering DM's unpublished benefits

Slowly discovering DM's unpublished benefits

Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
After a number of flights recently suddenly want to take this sinking post up again...

Anyone knows the criteria / condition for actively (not asking) giving out evian / other water these days?

While giving out no water is slowly becoming norm for me (whether on CX or KA, mostly to PEK / PVG / TPE), most disappointing incident recently was while crew gave out evian to the should-also-be-DMs in front of me and on the other side of the aisle BUT NOT ME...... Last month also saw crew giving water to another passenger on the other side but not me again.......

Every time if I'm so in need of water that I need to ask for one, I'd already in very bad mood and would never ask in a good manner (i.e. would become one of the DYKWIA DM.....) and understand that the crew are so busy I just tend to wait till meal time.......... Don't know how long I can tolerate their service decline.....
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by sscywong
After a number of flights recently suddenly want to take this sinking post up again...

Anyone knows the criteria / condition for actively (not asking) giving out evian / other water these days?

While giving out no water is slowly becoming norm for me (whether on CX or KA, mostly to PEK / PVG / TPE), most disappointing incident recently was while crew gave out evian to the should-also-be-DMs in front of me and on the other side of the aisle BUT NOT ME...... Last month also saw crew giving water to another passenger on the other side but not me again.......

Every time if I'm so in need of water that I need to ask for one, I'd already in very bad mood and would never ask in a good manner (i.e. would become one of the DYKWIA DM.....) and understand that the crew are so busy I just tend to wait till meal time.......... Don't know how long I can tolerate their service decline.....
I've always been given a bottle when in Y without fail, even on short routes under 2 hours which I have done a lot of recently.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Would you anger you more if I tell you as GO I keep getting Evian water bottles, and I usually ask for two and they gave it to me?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Would you anger you more if I tell you as GO I keep getting Evian water bottles, and I usually ask for two and they gave it to me?
CX must really dislike me. I've been GO for the past year, and have never received anything before, even when flying on my birthday.

I also very rarely get a greeting on board, probably under 10 times in both J and Y.

Just the last weekend when I was on HKGTPE, the ISM came over to say hi to the DM next to me in the window seat. (I had the aisle).

She said the usual hello Mr DM spew, looked at me, looked at her iPad, and just moved on. This is not about GO or SL or GR or AM, but I thought it would be only polite to say hello to the pax you were stretching over? Or maybe I just have overly high expectations!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by carmy
Or maybe I just have overly high expectations!
On my recent trip to TPE in Y, there was no greeting at all on the outbound, neither from the FP, SP or ISM. On the inbound, the FP or SP greet everyone as DM/GO/EM, and the ISM greet the DMs again. It really getting inconsistent nowadays...
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
She said the usual hello Mr DM spew, looked at me, looked at her iPad, and just moved on. This is not about GO or SL or GR or AM, but I thought it would be only polite to say hello to the pax you were stretching over? Or maybe I just have overly high expectations!
I think this board *may* have the effect of creating over-expectations
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I think this board *may* have the effect of creating over-expectations
I think I'm looking for *consistency* only...

Or maybe nowadays greeting and passing out water are based on CIV as well.... So it'll be completely fine for me if I'm just a low CIV DM and they decided to treat higher CIV GO better...

Originally Posted by KACommuter
I've always been given a bottle when in Y without fail, even on short routes under 2 hours which I have done a lot of recently.
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I'll give CX / KA a least two more sectors (to SIN, so time should not be as tight as to TPE / PVG) to see what's the standard of services nowadays.... ...before calling the final straw has been put on my tolerance....

Last edited by sscywong; Nov 21, 2016 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I think I'm looking for *consistency* only...

Or maybe nowadays greeting and passing out water are based on CIV as well.... So it'll be completely fine for me if I'm just a low CIV DM and they decided to treat higher CIV GO better...

I'll give CX / KA a least two more sectors (to SIN, so time should not be as tight as to TPE / PVG) to see what's the standard of services nowadays.... ...before calling the final straw has been put on my tolerance....
SIN is a bad example,because it's DM heavy.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
SIN is a bad example,because it's DM heavy.
So does TPE, PVG and PEK where I fly most...

Things wasn't so inconsistent before... So extreme that even different aisle or section can have different treatment... i.e. I and another seems to be DM in different section and got treated differently... Was about to file a complaint for that difference in treatment but then didn't as the crew in that section took care of me well...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:23 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
CX must really dislike me. I've been GO for the past year, and have never received anything before, even when flying on my birthday.

I also very rarely get a greeting on board, probably under 10 times in both J and Y.

Just the last weekend when I was on HKGTPE, the ISM came over to say hi to the DM next to me in the window seat. (I had the aisle).

I think I got greeted on nearly every flight except for maybe 1 or 2 since I became GO. Then again, I'm on a fast-track to DM so hopefully that plays a role

Other than that, I do agree with you that the polite way would have been to at least say hello to you too since they stretch over people like as if they weren't even there.

On my most recent TPEHKG the FP greeted me at the window and then also said hi to the pax next to me who I dont believe was DM/GO. I did think that was nice of her, since she was invading her space...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum

Things wasn't so inconsistent before... So extreme that even different aisle or section can have different treatment... i.e. I and another seems to be DM in different section and got treated differently... Was about to file a complaint for that difference in treatment but then didn't as the crew in that section took care of me well...
For 100% consistency,you need to fly HX. Their elite card (can't remember if it was platinum,gold or both)benefits table used to actually state:bottle of water and pillow in Y. I looked at it now and it does not mention those benefits anymore,but it certainly did and you could pull out a DYKWIA and expect those perks to be delivered to you!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

Just curious - what differences in treatment that you didn't receive would make you want to file a complaint?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB

Prepare to be disappointed. I was on a flight to Sin on the A350 travelling Y. Was asked if wanteded an upgrade to PEY, agreed, but never happened. Lost my priority seat. Then, No water bottle, requested headphones 3 times and no greeting. Crew generally were not friendly, especially the one serving my aisle. Haven't experienced this type of non service in quite a while. Oversll scheme of things, Doesn't matter too much but they aren't distinguishing themselves from others, especially for elites.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Just curious - what differences in treatment that you didn't receive would make you want to file a complaint?
First time... Say you're in 16H of a 773. ISM went to greet a passenger in 12D and passed him a water... Didn't come to the right aisle.... OK maybe that's DMP and maybe he requested water.... I can sort of tolerate this...

Second time... Say you're in 40C on a 343. (Should be) FP came and greeted (in order of) 39A, 40D, 40C and 41A first, walked away, returned and greeted 40A which you saw BP indicating he is GO. He then return with a bag of water, passed one to 39A, one more on 39A's request, one to 40D, one to 41A.... and walked back to W with a bottle or two still in the bag......... If it's a 35G I think I've already logged in the WiFi and filed a complaint right away...

Originally Posted by Mafai
Prepare to be disappointed. I was on a flight to Sin on the A350 travelling Y. Was asked if wanteded an upgrade to PEY, agreed, but never happened. Lost my priority seat. Then, No water bottle, requested headphones 3 times and no greeting. Crew generally were not friendly, especially the one serving my aisle. Haven't experienced this type of non service in quite a while. Oversll scheme of things, Doesn't matter too much but they aren't distinguishing themselves from others, especially for elites.
Except that if I'm asked if I want another seat I'll have it confirmed and printed on my BP before I left the counter, and usually one of the crew would come and say a word or two in quite a rush, this is quite common to me nowadays...

Mine is currently scheduled to be a 33G and a 773... Let's see...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
While I have not personally experience the service of Junior crews (always in C), but my colleagues have been complaining the level of service with Cathay has been going downhill. They are Y+ and I was told it's the same crew for Y+ and Y. This is not a big surprise for me as Cathay seems to me to be an airline that has a hard time keeping their junior crew long-term. When an airline has a very high turnover rate for their junior crew, it's hard to expect consistent services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.