Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will the miles needed for upgrade depend on the ticket class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

If I was able to purchase a heavily discounted fare, will the required miles for upgrade to the next seat class still be based on their upgrade chart? Will there be restrictions on the ticket prohibiting upgrade? Or will I be required to use more miles for the upgrade?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The miles for upgrade are always the same. HOWEVER - you need to have purchased a fare class that allows upgrade. These are:

Economy: Y B H K M
Premium: W R
Business: J C D I (all)

Heavily discounted fares are usually not in these fare classes (unless you're looking at Business class).

Award charts and T&C are here: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts#2
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
So if I bought a ticket not in the allowed fare class, there's absolutely no way to do an upgrade with miles?

We are going to book a dozen tickets through a travel agent with huge discounts, and I was thinking to upgrade using my miles.

By the way, can I upgrade only the longer flights in a multi-flight itinerary?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by boybi
So if I bought a ticket not in the allowed fare class, there's absolutely no way to do an upgrade with miles?

We are going to book a dozen tickets through a travel agent with huge discounts, and I was thinking to upgrade using my miles.

By the way, can I upgrade only the longer flights in a multi-flight itinerary?
a travel agent can book you into the appropriate fare class eligible for a one class upgrade. typically the savings you get from an agent are for fare classes where you won't earn any miles or club points. you can attempt to upgrade as many legs as you wish.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.