Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Aaron Claxton explains the lack of blankets in regional Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat

The letter in the latest issue CX World is worth a read. Our favourite Aaron Claxton, Head of Catering, explains why the food offering in Y on TPE flights is so far behind its competitors and why there are not enough blankets...

The Economy Class snack bag service was introduced for Manila and Taipei back in 2014. We serve this along with a cold drink and cookies which, after much research, was deemed appropriate for these shorthaul sectors. Hot beverages are also available to passengers upon request.

With a very short flying time, we believe the snack bag service enables our cabin crew to deliver a more professional service so that our passengers can enjoy the inflight entertainment and get more personal time during their short time on board.

As for blankets, finding the right balance for the blanket uplift is always a challenge.

Due to various constraints, we are limited to the quantity we load on some routings and so can only provide blankets upon request in Economy on regional flights, with the uplift ratio based on historical data.
Note that in the Chinese version, 'various constraints' are translated to budget and space limitations.

The need of a hot meal and blankets in a short Y sector as a passenger is up for discussion, but after reading this I just feel that CX is so hopeless. When the lack of blankets has received so much bad press in local media, they still do not bother and brand this as a 'challenge for the right balance' and something which needs to be dealt with 'based on historical data'.

No wonder it takes rounds after rounds of reviews before they realize that there are not enough snacks in longhaul J.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: CX Gold SPG Platinum IHG Platinum Accor Platinum
Cathay had been cutting costs at all fronts even to premium passengers paying very expensive fares out of HKG. My last CX flight was HKG Manchester in J and they didnt even have sandwiches nor fresh fruits!
Have been Cathay Pathetic free for over a year now and I am very happy with my KL, QR, MH, SQ flights. Thank you Ivan Chu! Beyond Cathay Pathetic! Boycotting KA is more challenging though.....
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
That is such a pathetic explanation. Has he ever come across the SQ adverts which was mocking CX the most brilliant way possible!? On the ads it says something like 'it's nice to have an extra blanket, or two' - I couldn't stop laughing when I came across it when reading Business Traveller magazines the other month whilst sitting on a SQ plane flying down to Singapore!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
On the ads it says something like 'it's nice to have an extra blanket, or two' - I couldn't stop laughing when I came across it when reading Business Traveller magazines the other month whilst sitting on a SQ plane flying down to Singapore!
Love to see it, don't have a trip for a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Love to see it, don't have a trip for a couple of weeks.
No idea why the image rotated but there you go...
Attached Images  
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Hkgglobaltrotter: haha thanks! CX thoroughly deserved it
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:33 am

Hkgglobaltrotter: haha thanks! CX thoroughly deserved it
A total embarrassment!
This also points out the difference between a premium airline ^ and a premium budget airline lol
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by hadsst
The letter in the latest issue CX World is worth a read. Our favourite Aaron Claxton, Head of Catering, explains why the food offering in Y on TPE flights is so far behind its competitors and why there are not enough blankets...

Note that in the Chinese version, 'various constraints' are translated to budget and space limitations.

The need of a hot meal and blankets in a short Y sector as a passenger is up for discussion, but after reading this I just feel that CX is so hopeless. When the lack of blankets has received so much bad press in local media, they still do not bother and brand this as a 'challenge for the right balance' and something which needs to be dealt with 'based on historical data'.

No wonder it takes rounds after rounds of reviews before they realize that there are not enough snacks in longhaul J.
Food:
Rubbish. Why not just say "To allow passengers to have more time to sleep on board so they can start enjoying Taiwan with 100% energy level we decided to cut everything from catering to IFE system so passengers can sleep from the time they board till the deplane"...

Blanket:
Same. What's not constrainted up in the sky? I rather them be honest as in the Chinese version... But I don't understand how much extra space is needed... So much that can't even load 500 blankets?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by CX201
Cathay had been cutting costs at all fronts even to premium passengers paying very expensive fares out of HKG. My last CX flight was HKG Manchester in J and they didnt even have sandwiches nor fresh fruits!
Have been Cathay Pathetic free for over a year now and I am very happy with my KL, QR, MH, SQ flights. Thank you Ivan Chu! Beyond Cathay Pathetic! Boycotting KA is more challenging though.....
As much as i do think CX is still a top airline I must admit looking at my next 14 bookings on CX routes for what must be the first time the majority are not with CX. They are just too expensive from HKG for what they're trying to offer.

The only routes where I've still got CX booked is TYO for the frequency and LON, because BA is the alternative.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:15 am

The word "enhancement" was only used twice in this issue. And not even by Chef Aaron. I am disappointed.

By the way, what term does CX use for "enhancement" in Chinese?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:14 pm

Eerie relationship between this thread and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...take-next.html (BA)

Originally Posted by sscywong
Food:
Rubbish. Why not just say "To allow passengers to have more time to sleep on board so they can start enjoying Taiwan with 100% energy level we decided to cut everything from catering to IFE system so passengers can sleep from the time they board till the deplane"...
I did discuss privately the possibility of distributing Xanax on flights and a cup of water along with landing cards.

Then stacking pax in morgue-like front-to-back storage five or six high (flat beds!) and eliminate the second aisle.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Ivan Chu explains change to 10-abreast is caused by lack of HKG slots

"“Slots are very scarce,” Chu said. “We want to generate more seats per slot, that’s the key thing. That’s why we are doing it. It’s very important we do it.”"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post27290273
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo
Definitely the blankets shortage is about their cost-cutting in reducing weight per flight.
Believe it or not, the blankets suggestion was brought up by a cabin crew years ago when the company was asking staff to look at ways to cut costs!
KA has no more blankets on their short-hauls (up to 2 hours)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Sometimes I really wonder....
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by phol
The only routes where I've still got CX booked is TYO for the frequency and LON, because BA is the alternative.
Plenty of other choices on that route - VS if you want non-stop, and loads if options if you don't mind stopping. Even if you want to stay with oneworld, MH are offering very reasonable prices. I have had several business class returns to them with London which cost HK$24xxx to HK$26xxx, refundable, changeable etc - and just yesterday nabbed a promo fare for business class return to London for less than HK$16,000!

"“Slots are very scarce,” Chu said. “We want to generate more seats per slot, that’s the key thing. That’s why we are doing it. It’s very important we do it.”"
Then buy a bigger plane. A380s are available at excellent prices now, I gather!

Originally Posted by SteveMark
Definitely the blankets shortage is about their cost-cutting in reducing weight per flight.
I find that a bit hard to believe since on a long-haul flight more than 80% of the weight is fuel, fluids, airframe etc and less than 20% is passengers, luggage, blankets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.