Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Moving to Terminal 8 at JFK in January

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

Just checked-in and was told by the agent that CX will be moving to T8 at JFK in January.

While the AA Flagship Lounge in T8 may not be world class, it is far better than the BA "first class" lounge that BA allows CX to use in T7.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Also no need to re-clear TSA if transfer from AA. Yeah!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
How is the champagne in AA Flagship? Don't want to get the party started pre-flight with some champagne that's only good as a drain cleaner.

It will be great if CX arranges for Flagship Dining.

Does Flagship Check-for F passenger still dumps you into the PreCheck lane?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does Flagship Check-for F passenger still dumps you into the PreCheck lane?
Flagship check-in is only available for F passengers on AA flights. I doubt AA will make an arrangement with CX to allow CX F passengers to use the facility.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dkc192
Flagship check-in is only available for F passengers on AA flights. I doubt AA will make an arrangement with CX to allow CX F passengers to use the facility.
Flagship check-in is available for oneworld F passengers.

*Eligible oneworld airlines include, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Japan Airlines and Qantas. These airlines offer international First Class service, which is defined as First Class service onboard a three-class (i.e., First, Business and Main Cabin) or four-class (i.e., First, Business, Premium Economy and Main Cabin) aircraft.
But like you said, I suppose there would be special arrangements for itinerary beginning in JFK

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 26, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'll have some nostalgia from time to time......

....but this is great!!!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've never been to T8 before. Is this good because the terminal is nicer, or because of better connections to AA, or because immigration arrival is better? Or....?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sxc
I've never been to T8 before. Is this good because the terminal is nicer, or because of better connections to AA, or because immigration arrival is better? Or....?
Better food options.

Being AA partner means people who don't start off from JFK would likely be flying into JFK on AA to connect to CX. Currently they have to exit to landslide and take AirTrain to T7 and clear security (again). Now they don't have to do any of that. That can easily take 30 minutes or more. Probably also mean a shorter MCT.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Basically everything seawolf says and then some. I have to connect by landing T7 and taking air train and then redoing security. I wonder if this means we don't have to recheck security.

Food is also better.

AA "Flagship" F lounge is also superior to BA F lounge in T7. While it's not incredible or anything, it's a perfectly fine place to do work for an hour or two. They have small bites which aren't horrible for a US standard, and decent nonalcoholic drink selection. They have booze too but I've never tried it. Dont expect the Pier but it's a perfectly fine lounge. Better yet it is almost always quiet. CX DMs, OWE and F pax will increase this somewhat, by 10-20 per CX flight. I hope that doesn't take away....this lounge's strength is it's quiet.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OTOH, T7 is super compact and quick to navigate, whereas T8 can be a total zoo with some very long walks. But no question if you're connecting to / from AA this will be much more convenient.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
OTOH, T7 is super compact and quick to navigate, whereas T8 can be a total zoo with some very long walks. But no question if you're connecting to / from AA this will be much more convenient.
Great points. I think it may be fair to elaborate:

As F/DM/OWE, or connecting pax, I think T8 is definitely superior.

J, hard to say.

Y pax with no status and no connection, it's hard for me to know but I could see this going either way. It kinda comes down to how many counters CX has and what security lines are like. It could be a total flippin zoo or it could be civilized. The dining options inside T8 unrelated to the lounge are certainly more abundant. Although I don't know if they'll stil be open for CX845, my guess is no.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Is there space in T8 for CX perhaps to think of opening their own lounge?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Last time I past thru T8, they were doing renovation/ expansion of the Flagship lounge. I believe they're adding flagship dining like what they have in the international lounge in DFW.

Does it mean CX will be handled by AA and not by BA anymore? I found the JFK AA agents less willing to help when it comes to delays and cancellations.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfosuw
Last time I past thru T8, they were doing renovation/ expansion of the Flagship lounge. I believe they're adding flagship dining like what they have in the international lounge in DFW.

Does it mean CX will be handled by AA and not by BA anymore? I found the JFK AA agents less willing to help when it comes to delays and cancellations.
BA has not handled CX for almost a year now. They're now handled by Worldwide Flight Services (WFS).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Does this mean that passengers flying CX F / J solely from JFK to YVR will be denied lounge access by AA? Or will CX have a special arrangement with AA and issue the passenger with a lounge invite as they normally would?

I know that when TAM flew JFK to YYZ, AA would deny TAM J pax access to the Admirals Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.