Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Moving to Terminal 8 at JFK in January

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Moving to Terminal 8 at JFK in January

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by hmsflyer
All: I am arriving in JFK on AA in F and leaving JFK on CX in F to HKG on January 11, 2017. Will the move to T8 be complete by then? The only reference I have seen on this thread is for the move to occur in January.

Thank you.
I am certain that, no matter what class you're flying, it won't have an impact on the opening date. .

I asked a contact at AA in NY yesterday. She said "January", but doesn't have a precise date yet. I don't think it's set.

Even if it's still T7 for CX, the transfer is very easy. Just know where you're going. Find the Air Train and go one stop.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yoyo
CX845 leaves at 12:45am and T8 FL closes at 11:00pm. Wonder where can folks go after the lounge closes?
After recent experience I'm in talks to move my company business to AA/ONEWORLD. One of the things we discussed today was the AA FL lounges. All of AA FL lounges are being renovated, and from what I was told will have extended hours in the future. According to AA they've held off making some flight time changes/extending hours so that they can better get renovations done. LAX/JFK/ORD/MIA/and new DFW FL lounges will have better operating times.

Now I just need to get the contract to review pricing and hopefully can get to experience CX F a few more times soon.

I could live in the HKG CX F lounges! lol
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flyerCO
After recent experience I'm in talks to move my company business to AA/ONEWORLD. One of the things we discussed today was the AA FL lounges. All of AA FL lounges are being renovated, and from what I was told will have extended hours in the future. According to AA they've held off making some flight time changes/extending hours so that they can better get renovations done. LAX/JFK/ORD/MIA/and new DFW FL lounges will have better operating times.

Now I just need to get the contract to review pricing and hopefully can get to experience CX F a few more times soon.

I could live in the HKG CX F lounges! lol
Not that I'm doubting your source, but is it possible they were giving you a salesman's pitch to get you to sign up? Or that the renovations won't be finished until 2019+ ?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sxc
Not that I'm doubting your source, but is it possible they were giving you a salesman's pitch to get you to sign up? Or that the renovations won't be finished until 2019+ ?
All FL lounges are indeed being updated, and from what I've read online, they're supposed to be done by 2017. From a few other AA flyertalkers I know, this work is in progress. No exact timeline in 2017 for the updates to FL to finish. I know I was in LAX and they're coming along very quickly in the upgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
The A300s weren't composite though, were they?
In the early part of production, only the leading and trailing edges of the vertical stabilizers were. Over time, more composite was used; though I'm fairly certain that the fuselage was never made from composite material. There was very little composite in the A340, for example, which was much later.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:30 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Does anyone have the exact date the move?

I'm flying into JFK on 888 sometime between the 10th-15th, will the move have already happened?

Also, how does early morning traffic in terminal 8 are 888 arrival time compare to that of terminal 7? What will the situation at immigration be like?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by hl176
Does anyone have the exact date the move?

I'm flying into JFK on 888 sometime between the 10th-15th, will the move have already happened?

Also, how does early morning traffic in terminal 8 are 888 arrival time compare to that of terminal 7? What will the situation at immigration be like?
No date has been announced yet. I can't say I'm a JFK all terminal pro, but I don't think anyone can easily predict how immigration will be.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hl176
It looks to be worse in T8 than in T7, where CX888 is/was pretty much the only international arrival of the day during that hour. In T8, for AA alone, you have daily flights from GRU, GIG, and EZE arriving during the 6-7 am timeframe, potentially in addition to other carriers whose schedules I'm not as familiar with.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Ive read thru the thread but haven't seen a direct answer to CX J pax.

Ill be flying in March CX J - JFK-HKG. Which lounge will I be able to enter as J?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elg26
Ive read thru the thread but haven't seen a direct answer to CX J pax.

Ill be flying in March CX J - JFK-HKG. Which lounge will I be able to enter as J?
If CX is in T8, then it will be AAdmiralsClub unless CX is building a lounge we don't know about.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seawolf
If CX is in T8, then it will be AAdmiralsClub unless CX is building a lounge we don't know about.
Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: CX DM
Not sure how accurate this is...but one of the lounge attendants told me CX would be moving over to T8 January 15 (I was in the JFK AA flagship lounge yesterday). Parts of the new renovated flagship lounge will also be open for use sometime late December as they continue to finish it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by dkc192
It looks to be worse in T8 than in T7, where CX888 is/was pretty much the only international arrival of the day during that hour. In T8, for AA alone, you have daily flights from GRU, GIG, and EZE arriving during the 6-7 am timeframe, potentially in addition to other carriers whose schedules I'm not as familiar with.
IME, this is quite a deceptive observation. T7 can be horrible. You know CX has 4 flights a day to JFK right? CX888 early morning arrival might be fine, but the same cannot be said for CX830 (early afternoon), CX840 (evening) and CX846 (later in evening).

Let me just give you a few T7 datapoints from the last 6 months (for non-US passport holders) to give anyone holding the wrong impression how lovely T7 can be:
CX830: 2.5 hours
CX830: 1 hour
CX840: 2 hours
CX840: 1.5 hours

This is a very bad string of luck I've had, but I have done many flights to JFK on CX with non-US passport holders for nearly a decade. (my Global Entry is totally useless if I'm flying with a non-American!). T7 can be complete crap and this has held true as long as I'm flying there. True, sometimes there are zero people (including non-US lines). I'm not familiar with intl arrivals at T8, but anyone holding the impression that T7 is always a breeze is...not flying there very often.

I guess you get what you wish for...perhaps T8 is even worse....but I'm crossing my fingers immigration is somewhat better there.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 17, 2016 at 3:10 am Reason: originally said 4 months, actually 6
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
(my Global Entry is totally useless if I'm flying with a non-American!).
You don't need to fly on US carrier to enjoy Global Entry access. You're mistaken that with TSA Pre-check perhaps?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
You don't need to fly on US carrier to enjoy Global Entry access. You're mistaken that with TSA Pre-check perhaps?
I think QRC3288 means having to wait for a non-GE companion, which is basically what happens to me every time too.

PS I am not american but I still have GE, fwiw, but I get what the point is

I'm also very paranoid about bags being stolen whenever theres an hour-long wait at immigration, one extra reason to avoid JFK T7...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.