Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Increased luggage allowance with max no. of pieces..Starting from Sep 15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased luggage allowance with max no. of pieces..Starting from Sep 15

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:34 am

Boy was I ever wrong in another thread assuming we would be hit with zero luggage fare classes sooner than later. This is a pretty valuable enhancement (without "..." for once)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by dddc

It will make it annoying for check in staff too, having to see when the ticket issue date was etc.
No,it won't because the baggage allowance is "built in" the ticket,so they will not need to look at the issue date.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Does this enhancement mean that they will be stricter with the rules though?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Cathay to go fully piece system?

I was checking in 5 bags in TPE and the check in agent told me in September they will replace weight system to piece system, meaning i would need to pay extra to check in big but light items, such as noodles.

Is this true? Can anyone comfirm this? It would be of great sadness if this is the case.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
a bit of both:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ge-policy.html
To improve check-in efficiency and reduce queuing time at airports across the airlines' networks, the revised baggage policy will follow a weight system with piece count. Passengers in Business Class, Premium Economy Class and Economy Class will be entitled to check-in two baggage items free of charge. First Class passengers will be entitled to check-in three baggage items free of charge. Marco Polo Club Gold and Diamond members will be entitled to check-in one additional item on top of their travel class allowance.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...c-flights.html

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-20160915.html

OMG. So it is a real Enhancement after all...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by kaka
It's actually the worst of both.

In the examples
You get charged for overweight
Or you get charged for over-piece

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 23, 2016 at 2:38 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
It's actually the worst of both.

In the examples
You get charged for overweight
You get charged for over-piece
You get charged for overweight and over-piece.
You won't get charged for both.
In the example, you only get charged by overweight for Example 3.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:46 am

"To improve check-in efficiency and reduce queuing time at airports across the airlines' networks"

Well the only way that's possible is if passengers are put off carrying their crap by the new piece fee
But then again for every pax that packs more efficiently I postulate there'll be another pax who'll resort to cling film...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
"To improve check-in efficiency and reduce queuing time at airports across the airlines' networks"

Well the only way that's possible is if passengers are put off carrying their crap by the new piece fee
But then again for every pax that packs more efficiently I postulate there'll be another pax who'll resort to cling film...
or duct tape

done that before. staff wanted to claim separate pieces (on a piecewise airline) and i pushed it - the whole thing moved. so that's one piece
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
or duct tape

done that before. staff wanted to claim separate pieces (on a piecewise airline) and i pushed it - the whole thing moved. so that's one piece
Thats the solution when I need to take boxes of cuo noodles!

I hope CX will be a bit generous for FFs but looking at the interline situation I won't keep my hopes up...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:09 pm

Has anyone noticed whether they're enforcing the pre-Sept 15 ticket lower luggage allowance? I'm doing a six-week trip in November and would appreciate the extra. I don't qualify date-wise for the higher allowance, but if they're letting everyone through on the new allowance that would be good to know.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by urbanfox
Has anyone noticed whether they're enforcing the pre-Sept 15 ticket lower luggage allowance? I'm doing a six-week trip in November and would appreciate the extra. I don't qualify date-wise for the higher allowance, but if they're letting everyone through on the new allowance that would be good to know.
On my last trip, my pre-15 Sep ticket still show the old allowance on e-ticket, however, the check in desk at KA used the new updated allowance. I was few kg over and I asked after check in agent said nothing, she read out the new luggage allowance. I then asked about when the piece system will be in place, she replies it will be enforce after 15th OCT.

So it seems that they are giving everyone the extra 10kg already and not enforcing the piece system at the moment.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
On my last trip, my pre-15 Sep ticket still show the old allowance on e-ticket, however, the check in desk at KA used the new updated allowance. I was few kg over and I asked after check in agent said nothing, she read out the new luggage allowance. I then asked about when the piece system will be in place, she replies it will be enforce after 15th OCT.

So it seems that they are giving everyone the extra 10kg already and not enforcing the piece system at the moment.

Many thanks for the response! That's excellent news.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:37 pm

I had a flight to Singapore in Y with ticket bought on 13 September. Baggage was 8k over old allowance but within new baggage allowance.

Check-in staff tried to charge me for excess baggage because ticket was bought pre 15th September

Ended up taking other bag as super heavy carry on.

This was in town check in, perhaps they are more flexible at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.