Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same day flight changes allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Same day flight changes allowed?

Hi there. I'm wondering if CX allows for same day flight changes. The GF and I are flying back from the US on AA (LAX-HKG) but have different CX flights HKG-BKK. Her layover is like over 12 hours, mine 3.5 hr. I couldn't ticket her using the same flight I had, well except at double the price. Any experience, words of wisdom, etc would be appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I should just get her an award seat on my flight.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Hi there. I'm wondering if CX allows for same day flight changes. The GF and I are flying back from the US on AA (LAX-HKG) but have different CX flights HKG-BKK. Her layover is like over 12 hours, mine 3.5 hr. I couldn't ticket her using the same flight I had, well except at double the price. Any experience, words of wisdom, etc would be appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I should just get her an award seat on my flight.
Will that be on Economy or Business? I was able to change business class flights on the same day with no issue before...just not sure about Economy specially on restricted tickets.

If you have miles to burn and award seats open, I would suggest you upgrade her on the flight, but I'm not sure how that works because she has to be on the same flight first before you could upgrade...I think.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: CX DM
How about Singapore

Does anyone have any experience with getting on earlier SIN - HKG flights? I am ticketed for 6:10 pm, but a schedule change means that I can now get a mid-day flight. Travelling in economy in sub-class S.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Singapore a few times I've been asked to pay the change fee if applicable to the ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by sxc
Singapore a few times I've been asked to pay the change fee if applicable to the ticket.
I had a V fare ticket and the flight I was on was overbooked, I was still told that if I wished to move to the earlier flight then I had to pay the change fee.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Does anyone have any experience with getting on earlier SIN - HKG flights? I am ticketed for 6:10 pm, but a schedule change means that I can now get a mid-day flight. Travelling in economy in sub-class S.
PVG seems to be the only airport that happily move pax up all the time. PEK would do it most of the time, I guess mostly because of the delays out of China. SIN doesn't seems to be the one doing it, so unless that particular day they have flight cancellation etc, need to move a lot of pax around, otherwise not likely to happen if you just want to change your flight...

However, if CX changed your flight schedule, why not give them a call and change to an earlier flight.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KACommuter
99.9% they wont allow as per my experience within the last year n a bit
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by kaka
99.9% they wont allow as per my experience within the last year n a bit
Thank you all. Much as I suspected. Ah well...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Anyone have any experience having the change fee waived on an business I fare? It's 150 USD, and I was hoping to get an earlier flight to avoid a 1 hour connection in Hong Kong.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Anyone have any experience having the change fee waived on an business I fare? It's 150 USD, and I was hoping to get an earlier flight to avoid a 1 hour connection in Hong Kong.
From which airport?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I find that CX used to be much more relaxed about allowing to get on an earlier flight. These days they always tell me I have to pay the fee.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by moondog
From which airport?
MNL, there's like 7 flights between MNL-HKG that day and my agent (read my brother who booked my flight since it was his treat so I would visit him) thought I would appreciate the short connection time... instead of stress about it given the notorious delays ex-MNL in the late afternoon to evening hours. Given that I'm connecting on the last flight ex-HKG, I do not want to actually stay an extra 9 hours overnight waiting for the next flight out.

Edit: Flights are CX934 to CX524

P.P.S: Strangely CX934 is not showing up anymore even when I look at MNL-HKG for April 6... that is kinda weird, is it possible they scrapped the flight?

Last edited by TravelwhileyouEat; Feb 22, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
MNL, there's like 7 flights between MNL-HKG that day and my agent (read my brother who booked my flight since it was his treat so I would visit him) thought I would appreciate the short connection time... instead of stress about it given the notorious delays ex-MNL in the late afternoon to evening hours. Given that I'm connecting on the last flight ex-HKG, I do not want to actually stay an extra 9 hours overnight waiting for the next flight out.

Edit: Flights are CX934 to CX524

P.P.S: Strangely CX934 is not showing up anymore even when I look at MNL-HKG for April 6... that is kinda weird, is it possible they scrapped the flight?
I arrived in TPE early about 3-4 years ago and tried to get on an earlier flight. The check-in agent said there would be a USD100 charge, but she immediately asked her supervisor and waived the fee as my original flight was delayed for 30 min (although I didn't have a connection in HKG). So if you arrive in the airport early and if there is a delay for your CX934 flight, they may put you on an earlier flight. (They may actually be willing to do that without any delay anyway to avoid rebooking you just in case.)

I checked on EF. CX934 was there but was zeroed out for all cabins starting 26 March. If they indeed cancel that flight, you should be able to get on an earlier one anyway. Perhaps it is worthwhile checking it out.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 22, 2017 at 4:15 pm Reason: Add paragraph on CX934 situation.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960

I checked on EF. CX934 was there but was zeroed out for all cabins starting 26 March. If they indeed cancel that flight, you should be able to get on an earlier one anyway. Perhaps it is worthwhile checking it out.
I called CX and they said that the flight was 'not operating' on the date I was booked or even the days before and after according to the agent I spoke with.

The agent advised me to wait for the update on the status of my flight and that CX will contact me if it is cancelled to re-book me to an earlier flight free of charge. Is she correct that I should wait or should I call back and ask them to re-book me on an earlier flight now?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I called CX and they said that the flight was 'not operating' on the date I was booked or even the days before and after according to the agent I spoke with.

The agent advised me to wait for the update on the status of my flight and that CX will contact me if it is cancelled to re-book me to an earlier flight free of charge. Is she correct that I should wait or should I call back and ask them to re-book me on an earlier flight now?
I would probably wait for a few days and then call back. They can only put you on an earlier flight if the flight is indeed canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.