Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JL flight denied CX lounge entry YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
JL flight denied CX lounge entry YVR

Flew on JL17 YVR to NRT yesterday on J and the CX lounge agent denied entry. JL usually uses the Plaza Premium Lounge.

I thought if flying on an OW flight, I'm allowed to enter partner lounges; in HK, I had no issues entering the QF lounge.

The lady just outright said no with no explanation and when I tried to show her the OW website, she still said no so I just left and went to the PP Lounge. Lounge didn't seem full.

Is CX limiting the YVR lounge use for partners during the 837 flight time?

(the lady at the lounge desk in the evening is so much nicer and more polite)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX DM
What was her name? You really should report her for re-education.

Before the YVR lounge renovations, CX had two really very nice and knowledgeable lounge dragons - Alexandra and Elizabeth. But I suppose with the newer bigger lounge, they had to expand the staff. Probably the newer staff are not well trained (either in entry rules, or simply to be polite).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by hl176
Flew on JL17 YVR to NRT yesterday on J and the CX lounge agent denied entry. JL usually uses the Plaza Premium Lounge.

I thought if flying on an OW flight, I'm allowed to enter partner lounges; in HK, I had no issues entering the QF lounge.

The lady just outright said no with no explanation and when I tried to show her the OW website, she still said no so I just left and went to the PP Lounge. Lounge didn't seem full.

Is CX limiting the YVR lounge use for partners during the 837 flight time?

(the lady at the lounge desk in the evening is so much nicer and more polite)
Your profile indicates you're SL (Ruby).
Correct me if I'm wrong but Ruby doesn't have access to partner OW airlines' lounges.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/ruby-privileges
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by marcuslai
What was her name? You really should report her for re-education.

Before the YVR lounge renovations, CX had two really very nice and knowledgeable lounge dragons - Alexandra and Elizabeth. But I suppose with the newer bigger lounge, they had to expand the staff. Probably the newer staff are not well trained (either in entry rules, or simply to be polite).
Never met Elizabeth, but love Alexandra. Just a lovely lady. The other staff at YVR are great too such as the Indian manager and the Filipina agent. But in accordance with the rules here, names shouldn't be posted.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by CRJ700
Your profile indicates you're SL (Ruby).
Correct me if I'm wrong but Ruby doesn't have access to partner OW airlines' lounges.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/ruby-privileges
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
AFAIK, the OP was flying J so he automatically gets oneworld J lounge privileges. But correct me if I am wrong here.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
OT, but just want to support the comment that the YVR lounge staff was extremely nice - this was on the "night shift" prior to 888 to JFK. From the front desk to the waitstaff.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't recall her name, but I just remember that she was asian and light skinned.

The Caucasian lady who works the front desk from 8pm onwards for both the 888 to JFK and 889 to HKG is probably the best. I was relieved to see her still working there when the new lounge opened

Last edited by hl176; Jul 28, 2016 at 8:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
AFAIK, the OP was flying J so he automatically gets oneworld J lounge privileges. But correct me if I am wrong here.
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

The following exceptions apply:
First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:47 pm

Here is another recent story of CX denying lounge access for a JL J ticket. Not stated if it is the same port, but a similar scenario nonetheless
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

So does this mean that CX should've let me in since I was on a J ticket on an OW airline?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by hl176
So does this mean that CX should've let me in since I was on a J ticket on an OW airline?
That was the concensus in the other thread. And I agree with it, 100%.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:53 pm

Hi -

For the record, no lounge access for OW Ruby.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

For the record, no lounge access for OW Ruby.
The issue isn't whether or not I was denied lounge access because I'm a Ruby; it's the fact that I was denied entry on a revenue J ticket with a OW airline.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: Marco Polo
I believe that was a mistake on her part. The rules afaik are that OW Ruby status does not qualify for partner OW lounges, HOWEVER status shouldn't be considered as he was flying J. Write CX about it.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Is this now part of CX's cost cutting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.