Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Transit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
LHR Transit

Any suggestion for MCT of CX transfer to BA at LHR (T3 -> T5) after stop of interlining?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:28 am

I would say 2 hours in order to be safe as you will need to get on Heathrow Express or the Tube to get to T5
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

planning to transit at LHR for CX251 (First) -> BA712 (Club Europe), is that time between enough to transit + use the LHR Galleries First lounge at T5?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
MCT is 90 minutes. This is realistic, you will likely take about 60 minutes (less if you move fast and the buses are with you) to arrive airside at T5. Bear in mind there is a security check at T5 with the usual liquid restrictions.

You will likely have a short time in the T5 lounge. Note that the aircraft door for a BA flight will close at T-20 minutes, do not be late. If you are in the GF lounge, gates in the 14-18 sort of range are within 5 minutes walk of the lounge, 1-10 are more like 10 minutes. Ask the lounge entrance staff for the expected gate of your lounge.

Originally Posted by LchChester
I would say 2 hours in order to be safe as you will need to get on Heathrow Express or the Tube to get to T5
Not necessarily. If your bags are checked through, DO NOT go landside for this, instead follow signs at T3 for "Flight connections" and take the airside bus to T5. CX251 may well arrive early, so you'll have a couple of hours at least in the T5 GF this way.

If you have to get your bags because of the unhelpful new OW policy causing your bags not to be checked through, then you do have to use the HEX (or Tube with contactless or Oyster card), and you will likely take about 75 minutes to arrive airside at T5.

Keep your CX boarding pass to show the lounge staff to assure entry to GF rather than GC. If you want a shower, ask at the desk to the right as you arrive on the GF entrance level before you go in the lounge, you may have to wait a little while.

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 22, 2016 at 3:58 pm Reason: If bags
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by derek2010
planning to transit at LHR for CX251 (First) -> BA712 (Club Europe), is that time between enough to transit + use the LHR Galleries First lounge at T5?
Some 4 hours for transit? More than enough.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by LchChester
Why in the world would you want to queue to get through immigration, and then take the very long way round via the Heathrow Express?! It's so much quicker taking the airside connections bus straight into T5.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Why in the world would you want to queue to get through immigration, and then take the very long way round via the Heathrow Express?! It's so much quicker taking the airside connections bus straight into T5.
Because the OP needs to collect their baggage in the case it doesn't get through checked - highly likely given new oneworld/CX policy.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by derek2010
That should be more than enough time. Including the long walks and waiting for the bus, it should be about 30 minutes max from your gate to T5. Assuming you hit early morning security rush hour at T5, it'll be another 15 minutes or so.

However, that means by the time you get to the lounge it may be as late as 6:30am, after the first wave of early morning arrivals, which may mean you need to wait for a shower (bear in mind they are pretty basic showers, but better than nothing if you need to freshen up ahead of your connecting flight).
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
That should be more than enough time. Including the long walks and waiting for the bus, it should be about 30 minutes max from your gate to T5. Assuming you hit early morning security rush hour at T5, it'll be another 15 minutes or so.

However, that means by the time you get to the lounge it may be as late as 6:30am, after the first wave of early morning arrivals, which may mean you need to wait for a shower (bear in mind they are pretty basic showers, but better than nothing if you need to freshen up ahead of your connecting flight).
But my luggage will not be checked through under new Oneworld policy, is there still enough time to do transfer of terminal and use the LHR T5 Galleries First lounge (for around 2 hours)?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:55 am

If your luggage is not checked thru you would need to go thru immigration (quick if you have an EU passport, otherwise could be much longer), then wait for your luggage, take it to the Heathroiw Express station (quite a walk), wait for the train, quick train ride, walk to T5 check in and check in there, then go trhu security and immigration again.
With access to the premium lines, priority bags etc you should be in the lounge in around 90 min after deplaning if things go reasonably well. With long lines it easily could be far over 2 hours.
Could you connect somewhere else?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: CX Gold
Do I need to have a UK visa in order to transit in LHR for an international to international transfer?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by boybi
Do I need to have a UK visa in order to transit in LHR for an international to international transfer?
Yes if you have a passport that requires you to get a visa if you intend to visit the country, you will.also need a transit visa if you intend to just transit. Some passports however may be allowed transit without visa as long as you have vaild visa or meet entry requirements for the final destination. And holding vaild visas from some countries also can be considered as a transit visa for UK.

Really depends on which passport you're holding and transiting to where.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If Philippines passport you're exempt for transit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...ingdom#Transit
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:40 pm

If you don't have checked luggage pr your luggage is checked thru (usually when both flights are on the same ticket) you can do the international - international transfer.
With luggage on separate tickets you might need to go thru immigration, pick up the luggage, schlep yourself and the luggage to check in, go thru security and immigration again. I believe you will need a regular visa (depends on your passport country) in that case.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If you don't have checked luggage or your luggage is checked thru (usually when both flights are on the same ticket) you can do the international - international transfer.
With luggage on separate tickets you might need to go thru immigration, pick up the luggage, schlep yourself and the luggage to check in, go thru security and immigration again. I believe you will need a regular visa (depends on your passport country) in that case.
What passport do you hold?
All flights on 1 ticket? From where to LHR to where? (Noting this is CX forum)
Wanting to do airside transit, without formally entering UK?
Airlines use TIMATIC to determine requirements
Many sources, including UA's ---> https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.