Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cartman7110
Why not offer an interline fee instead of dropping this feature altogether?
oneworld isn't here to serve cheapos. Frankly this measure its a collective FU from all member airlines to those of us who try to mix and match cheap revenue tix/redemption and revenue.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I don't think there can be a reasonable compensation structure. It's not just a cost issue - it's a revenue issue as well. On a single PNR two airlines share the revenue. When you have two separate PNRs, each airline gets to keep the revenue to themselves. So when you check-through two separate PNRs, is it reasonable to expect airlines to share expenses (when things go wrong) but not share the revenue (when things go right)?

Even if airlines were willing to share the revenue (as if it is a single PNR) then there's another problem: revenue forecasting. On a single PNR each airline knows its share of revenue. On two separate PNRs, each get to keep their own revenue. If airlines were to do the above, that means on a separate PNR, an airline won't know whether it has to split the revenue until a passenger checks-in. That's a nightmare for revenue forecasting purposes.
Btw, I read various forums and the focus is on lost/delayed baggage but I find the timing interesting that OW updates the policy just before EC clarifies that under EC 261, a compensation is due if a passenger miss the second flight because of late arrival of the first flight. Personally i think that is a bigger issue. I raised this issue in the AY forum. People over there say two separate PNRs are two separate PNRs for EC 261 purposes even if an airlines checks you through but i wonder if EC agrees with that. I mean airlines check you through previously and I cannot believe cost associated with lost/delayed baggage alone is enough to scrap this benefit (when one has two PNRs on two different airlines). There has to be more to it ...
In other posts it has been quite clear that a PNR record may contain MORE than one ticket. While I understand the position of revenue/expense on separate PNRs, the airlines really needed to say separate TICKETs - even if contained within a single PNR. This, I don't think they can politically wear.

I still suspect that BA is behind the "push" to implement, in part because they have been hit the most by EC261 (and incoming baggage issues). I think they will continue to take a lot of "heat" from their elite members since it is almost impossible to combine award segments with revenue segments. PERHAPS they should consider permitting BA to BA flight through checks.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I still suspect that BA is behind the "push" to implement, in part because they have been hit the most by EC261 (and incoming baggage issues). I think they will continue to take a lot of "heat" from their elite members since it is almost impossible to combine award segments with revenue segments. PERHAPS they should consider permitting BA to BA flight through checks.
If liability dodging is what BA wants to achieve, BA-BA check thru is the last thing they want to reinstate.

Unbundling is also another probable BA factor given HBO and Europe meals - I just take this move as another unbundling initiative even for non-EU OW members like CX and QF.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In other posts it has been quite clear that a PNR record may contain MORE than one ticket. While I understand the position of revenue/expense on separate PNRs, the airlines really needed to say separate TICKETs - even if contained within a single PNR. This, I don't think they can politically wear.

Happy wandering

Fred
I think it is simply beyond the technical capabilities of most airlines to figure out unconnected ticket splits inside a single PNR.

The baggage system is designed with the (incorrect) assumption that one PNR = one ticket (or one ticket booklet).
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Happy wandering

Fred
I don't see what EU261 says about baggage.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:42 am
E55

Dragon on one PNR, to Cathay on another count as interlining? Or do they operate as one?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:57 am

Interline but CX/KA will still accept each other's separate tix (see advisory in wiki)
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:42 am
E55

Ah ha..... got it. It was a little cryptic but the D scenario seems to cover it.

d. For connections between:

CX and CX,
CX and KA,
KA and CX,
KA and KA in two tickets for the journey in two different PNRs,

e.g.:

FOC-HKG - KA tkt nbr xxxxx123
HKG-JFK - CX tkt nbr xxxxx124
Two separate PNRs : AB12CD and EF34GH

Coverd as part of through check in obligation

Originally Posted by percysmith
Interline but CX/KA will still accept each other's separate tix (see advisory in wiki)
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't see what EU261 says about baggage.
It doesn't but they are both issues which (likely) cost BA a lot of money when multiple PNRs are considered a single journey.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
The way round this refusal to interline seemed to be to use a TA to buy two tickets (even if on different Oneworld airlines) and include them in one PNR. Even the good value Vantage Pass business class fares combined with a cheap BA Eurotraveller ticket should work and allow baggage interlining if it's on one PNR.
"Should work" but it doesn't because I can buy my economy class BA Eurotraveller connecting ticket for half the price my TA can buy it for. So I have to pay my TA a fee to charge me twice the price of the ticket I can buy myself. But if I don't do that I can't interline baggage from HKG-AMS-LHR because the TA can't add my BA ticket into the CX itinerary if I buy it myself.
Could be a BA system glitch or maybe they really do sell tickets 50% cheaper to the public than to TAs.
Good news though: it's $25,000 return to London on CX (but you need to buy two return tickets and one of them can't go to London if you've already done that on the first flight on the Vantage pass) and also $25,000 return to London on Virgin. No need to interline, just go direct. Extra (and superflous) MPC points aren't worth the extra cost and hassle (at least for me). Less revenue for CX and BA but that's their concern rather than mine because they've made life difficult for we frugal business class passengers (aka cheapskates!).
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:47 am

So... is this actually being enforced by CX at this point? Does anyone have experience yet?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
The way round this refusal to interline seemed to be to use a TA to buy two tickets (even if on different Oneworld airlines) and include them in one PNR. Even the good value Vantage Pass business class fares combined with a cheap BA Eurotraveller ticket should work and allow baggage interlining if it's on one PNR.
A couple of questions on this:
1) since this is flyertalk, presumably the main reason people in this forum have two PNRs because we're mixing redemption and paid ticket. Can/will TA merge your PNRs if u redeem online/through MPC and buy the paid ticket from TA?
2) For 2 paid tickets, if you buy one now and one much later (say due to change of plan) from the same TA, can they still merge it? I guess I'm wondering if a TA can add a second ticket to the PNR months after it is issued.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rivarix
A couple of questions on this:
1) since this is flyertalk, presumably the main reason people in this forum have two PNRs because we're mixing redemption and paid ticket. Can/will TA merge your PNRs if u redeem online/through MPC and buy the paid ticket from TA?
2) For 2 paid tickets, if you buy one now and one much later (say due to change of plan) from the same TA, can they still merge it? I guess I'm wondering if a TA can add a second ticket to the PNR months after it is issued.
1. No.

2. Possible, but you need a TA who knows what they are doing/ is incentivised to do so.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX MPC, EY Guest
Originally Posted by stargold
So... is this actually being enforced by CX at this point? Does anyone have experience yet?
16JUN - Flew from HKG to TPE on CX (Y class) and from TPE to KUL (J class) on two separate PNRs. Checked-in at Hong Kong station and the agent said that Cathay will not through check-in bags not on the same reservation
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by limeca
16JUN - Flew from HKG to TPE on CX (Y class) and from TPE to KUL (J class) on two separate PNRs. Checked-in at Hong Kong station and the agent said that Cathay will not through check-in bags not on the same reservation
Was this CX to CX or CX to MH?

If it is CX to CX, they should have checked through according to their rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.