Last 747 Flight

Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by 24left
I was walking by this gate yesterday as this one arrived, and there were quite a few people taking photos and selfies.

This plane take me from to hong kong today. Last 747 flight to Beijing.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
How many "last" flights on CX 747s are you taking? Seems at least two roundtrips to HND and now one to PEK as well!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by christep
How many "last" flights on CX 747s are you taking? Seems at least two roundtrips to HND and now one to PEK as well!
About 6 flights in Sep? Last week i do a TPE 747 roundtrip. Both flight had only me in F. Last night fly PEK-HKG, full cabin. But the ISM is the same lady that last week flew with to Tpe .
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:11 am

Just took off from HKG for the last time, B-HUJ ^
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:20 am

Thanks for so many wonderful flights!

Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Anyone from here on the last HKG-HND flight?

Any celebrations or special handling?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: MPC
Typical CX Cluster F**k boarding for last 747 flight Haneda-HK. Everyone pushing and shoving to get onboard. Calm down, folks. Everyone gets a prize.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: MPC
Boarding time

Everyone hurry... plane may leave without you.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
anyone have any more pictures or links? Was there any celebration upon arrival at HKIA?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
anyone have any more pictures or links? Was there any celebration upon arrival at HKIA?
Nothing at HKIA. Just loud greeting from 8-10 staff standing in a line at the gate saying "Welcome to Hong Kong!!!".

Sorry I'm not much of a photographer so other than some personal pics I didn't take anything worth sharing. There were plenty of other FlyerTalkers on the flight who spend a lot of time taking photos and I'm sure eventually those will make their way here.

Flight was good, upper deck J pax who were near the cockpit could also go inside in and take photos with the crew while the preflight checks were going on. Tours of crew quarters available during the flight. There was a special menu printed for today's flight (at least in J, don't know about F/W/Y) specifying that it was for today's flight only. Numbered certificates were given out while boarding.

Flight was basically a party atmosphere, on upper J, most of the time the seats were empty as people were milling around. Galleys and aisles full of people.

Some people in F/J actually booked this flight without realising it was a "last 747 flight" and were really annoyed with all the extra fanfare and "annoyances", just wanted to get from point A to B with minimal fuss. At one point they had to close off the F cabin as there was too much foot traffic of "tourists".

45 DM and 20 OWE on the flight.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:27 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by midlevels
Nothing at HKIA. Just loud greeting from 8-10 staff standing in a line at the gate saying "Welcome to Hong Kong!!!".

Some people in F/J actually booked this flight without realising it was a "last 747 flight" and were really annoyed with all the extra fanfare and "annoyances", just wanted to get from point A to B with minimal fuss. At one point they had to close off the F cabin as there was too much foot traffic of "tourists".

45 DM and 20 OWE on the flight.
No water salute on HKIA arrival? Thats a little disappointing!

I would also be annoyed if I had booked F and people were going in the cabin. If people really wanted to take a look at the F cabin they could have done so after landing, right?

Impressive amount of OWE! I wonder how many GO/OWS were on board.
I also wonder if the flight was overbooked? Do you think anyone got bumped off the flight with so many DM's probably taking advantage of last minute guaranteed bookings???
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by mxr
No water salute on HKIA arrival? Thats a little disappointing!
Yeah, I thought they might do that but nothing on arrival. At first we were a bit confused and thought there was a salute but couldn't find the fire engines. Then we realised it was just really heavy rain.

Pilot commented that even the skies were crying.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Sounds like the last flight could have been better managed, rather than being a bit of a mix between a normal flight and a special celebration. When Air France retired their last passenger 747 there were some special flights put on just for people who wanted to take photos, wander around etc.

I still think it's inexcusable that there was no water canon salute or a special welcome at the gate in HKIA though.

I feel really sad reading the last few posts, I loved the CX 747s so much, it's like part of my life has disappeared.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Angry

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
Sounds like the last flight could have been better managed, rather than being a bit of a mix between a normal flight and a special celebration. When Air France retired their last passenger 747 there were some special flights put on just for people who wanted to take photos, wander around etc.

I still think it's inexcusable that there was no water canon salute or a special welcome at the gate in HKIA though.

I feel really sad reading the last few posts, I loved the CX 747s so much, it's like part of my life has disappeared.
Are you serious?
The way Air France organized their final two B747 flights was total FAIL.

There was only one phone line available, the old fashioned "call this number and wait for them to answer".

So many of us tried calling spending our whole day from line opening time to closing time two days in a row, never getting any answer, just a constant busy signal. It was so terribly frustrating.

And then they had so many guests on board that only halff the seats went to those who paid for their tickets. They offered a party in the hangar and a full tour of France at low flying altitude.

They should have had 10 of these flights they would have filled the planes. Also they could have had a website the same KLM did for their first B787 flights first come first served, online not one stupid phone number with an operator taking the calls.

Air France MEGA FAIL it was. A realistic image of what Air France has become after they ended Concorde service.

Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by DernierVirage

Yea, I would've thought a water salute....Austrian got the cannon a few weeks ago for....restarting service. Sure it was a long break, but a resumption flight from Vienna gets it whereas the last CX commercial 747 landing at its home port doesn't? Nostalgic I guess and disappointed this is it...so many flights on that bird. The nose with the new F was simply unbeatable. I'd take that over EK F any day, even with the downgrades to the soft product.

The whole experience still sounds nice...but a bit mismanaged. That pretty much sums up CX these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.