QR over CX?

Old May 26, 2016, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
QR over CX?

Looking at SGN to USA flights for myself and the wife next month. CX business class is about US$5k per pax whereas QR is approx half that (and I would earn more club points on QR than on CX. ). Long layover in DOH on the return.

I have some reservations re QR given the DOH to US flights are on a 777; flat seats, but in a 2-2-2 configuration. To those CX flyers that fly both, how do the 777 seats on QR compare comfort wise to the CX J seat?

Any other points of comparison gratefully received. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
777 is way inferior compared to CX's Cirrus J. Different story if it was 787/350 tho...

You are DM, right? I can't imagine how QR can beat CX in terms of service if that was the case...
Old May 26, 2016, 11:01 pm

The 777 seats on QR are good but not as good as CX J seats. However, if you are flying with your wife maybe 2-2-2 is a better configuration?

Also consider the flight times. Personally I would prefer a short SGN-HKG connection followed by an ultra long haul to the US, and QR do like to schedule weird and wonderful stopovers in the middle of the night.

All things considered though, both are still amongst the best airlines out there. For half the price i'd be going on QR.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You may want to read this review:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ess-class-777/

Given that the seats are fully flat and not sloping, I think the 50% discount more than makes up for that shortfall.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I'd fly QR over CX for the price difference alone. Plus the (much) better food on QR.

777 not as good as CX cirrus seat

If 788 or A350, definitely chose QR!
Old May 26, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I bought exMNL I-Class tickets to Europe for November...they were under $2000 last January. I'm excited but I'm lowering my expectations specially with the soft product.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I'd fly QR over CX for the price difference alone. Plus the (much) better food on QR.

777 not as good as CX cirrus seat

If 788 or A350, definitely chose QR!

Yep, for half fare I'd choose QR. Hard product is just fine. If CX was a 'dream trip' then take CX, but from a utility standpoint - getting from A to B in comfort - then QR is more than fine.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:32 am

I've flown both, the seat difference is minor. Feels more spacious than the CX seats, the one downside was less privacy from the person sitting next to you. For couples these seats are great.

I prefer the front cabin (rows 1-4) over the back one (5-7)
Old May 27, 2016, 12:34 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

You do mention a long layover. QR does have some long connections and so you do have to factor this in.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
You do mention a long layover. QR does have some long connections and so you do have to factor this in.

8 hours. Can grab a hotel room. Not ideal but tolerable for 5k in savings.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herostratus
I've flown both, the seat difference is minor. Feels more spacious than the CX seats, the one downside was less privacy from the person sitting next to you. For couples these seats are great.

I prefer the front cabin (rows 1-4) over the back one (5-7)

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2016, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Yep, for half fare I'd choose QR. Hard product is just fine. If CX was a 'dream trip' then take CX, but from a utility standpoint - getting from A to B in comfort - then QR is more than fine.

CX def not a dream trip; in fact I actually dread CX catering at this point.
I am actually excited to try something new.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:58 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I fought like hell for my QR DOH-GRU flight http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...practices.html . Settled by taking DOH-EZE.

Wife and I were taking our annual work-mandated long holiday, we had time to enjoy our journey. And we thoroughly enjoyed the experience - the missus asking is it possible to fly to more places via Doha.

(Sadly we don't have that many permitted long holidays, flying down under via Doha on our typical other 4-5 day vacations isn't really feasible).
Old May 27, 2016, 2:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
CX def not a dream trip; in fact I actually dread CX catering at this point.
I am actually excited to try something new.
With the MPC changes, I've been trying new airlines and makes me excited again to travel
Old May 27, 2016, 2:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
With the MPC changes, I've been trying new airlines and makes me excited again to travel
I've never seriously pursued status programs (this question is very pertinent to me http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...pc-status.html - I'm forced to redeem J for public holidays anyway).

But last year was fulfilling in the number of non-CX flights we did http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25676582 . Shame I don't get to do any non-CX long hauls this year (or one at most).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.