Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality - middle name only on one passport

Dual nationality - middle name only on one passport

Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by lamj
I have similar issue and book ticket without middle name while traveling on passport that has it (been doing it for my last 2-300 flights). CX, EU airlines and even the US airlines are OK with it. Only issue I ran into was with SQ, they were concerned about it and had to call a manager to "approve" it during check in. Think I show the check in agent a stack of used boarding pass all shown without my middle name and that encouraged her to let me thru.
Not surprised, and know a fair few who wouldn't be...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tya
Maybe not directly relevant to MPC, but I am really curious about HK Immigration Policy. I have Taiwan and US dual (two different first names), and most of my FFPs (including TK and AA) on Taiwanese name. If I book a ticket to HK using my Taiwan name, would I go into trouble if I use US passport to clear Hong Kong border? What about on the way out? Can I just show them both and explain why I have Taiwanese name on boarding pass but using American passport with a different name?
HK immigration doesn't care about your boarding pass or ticket. You can enter and exit using your US passport with no problem in that respect.

The problem is that you need to show the airline that you have the right documents to enter your destination country.

Since your tickets are in your Taiwan name, you always need to show the airline your Taiwan passport.

But you can't enter HK on your Taiwan passport unless you apply for an online approval and print it out, whereas you don't need any prior approval to enter with your US passport.

So if you are flying to HK, then you either need to register with your Taiwan passport (in which case you might as well just use it to enter HK), or you have to show the airline both passports and tell them you will use the US passport to enter.

If you are flying from HK to the US, then you won't have a US visa in your Taiwan passport, so you would have to show the airline both passports too. This also applies for anywhere which allows US citizens visa-free entry, but not Taiwan/ROC citizens.

Whether airlines will accept two passports with different names, I can't say.

When departing HK, there is a passport and boarding pass check run by the airport. This is not immigration. It is before you pass through security into the secure area. Exit immigration is after security.

At this boarding pass check, you need to show a passport which matches the name on the boarding pass, which is all they care about. So you would always show your Taiwan passport here and never your US passport. After security, the passport you use at the actual exit immigration is the same one you used to enter HK.

If you are going between HK and Taiwan, then you can still use the US passport to enter and exit, but you won't need to show it to anyone except HK immigration.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:50 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Talking

Originally Posted by :D!
HK immigration doesn't care about your boarding pass or ticket. You can enter and exit using your US passport with no problem in that respect.

The problem is that you need to show the airline that you have the right documents to enter your destination country.

Since your tickets are in your Taiwan name, you always need to show the airline your Taiwan passport.

But you can't enter HK on your Taiwan passport unless you apply for an online approval and print it out, whereas you don't need any prior approval to enter with your US passport.

So if you are flying to HK, then you either need to register with your Taiwan passport (in which case you might as well just use it to enter HK), or you have to show the airline both passports and tell them you will use the US passport to enter.

If you are flying from HK to the US, then you won't have a US visa in your Taiwan passport, so you would have to show the airline both passports too. This also applies for anywhere which allows US citizens visa-free entry, but not Taiwan/ROC citizens.

Whether airlines will accept two passports with different names, I can't say.

When departing HK, there is a passport and boarding pass check run by the airport. This is not immigration. It is before you pass through security into the secure area. Exit immigration is after security.

At this boarding pass check, you need to show a passport which matches the name on the boarding pass, which is all they care about. So you would always show your Taiwan passport here and never your US passport. After security, the passport you use at the actual exit immigration is the same one you used to enter HK.

If you are going between HK and Taiwan, then you can still use the US passport to enter and exit, but you won't need to show it to anyone except HK immigration.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!! Really informative. Many thanks again!

I could actually use my Taiwan Compatriot Pass (Taibaozheng), but I really want to have a stamp on my either passport, so US seems to be the only choice. Yet my FFPs are all registered under my Taiwan name, and that's why I still prefer to book it with Taiwan name to avoid arguing with ground agents.

It's good to know that HK immigration wouldn't check BP so I can just use my US when clearing border. Thank you so much again for the tip!! ^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tya
I could actually use my Taiwan Compatriot Pass (Taibaozheng), but I really want to have a stamp on my either passport, so US seems to be the only choice.
If you mean an immigration stamp: They don't do those in HKG...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by gpia
If you mean an immigration stamp: They don't do those in HKG...
Ditto to above. Has been the case since 2013. Same goes for Macau.

I am very lucky in that respect, or I would need a new passport every 6 months or so... Easily 50 entries a year to HKG/Macau!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:58 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Unhappy

Originally Posted by skba1
Ditto to above. Has been the case since 2013. Same goes for Macau.

I am very lucky in that respect, or I would need a new passport every 6 months or so... Easily 50 entries a year to HKG/Macau!
You mean they don't stamp on any passport in HK and Macau!? I thought only Taiwan passports are not stamped.
Aww that's sad. Collecting stamps has always been a fun part in travelling.

But if they won't stamp in my US, I might just use Taiwan passport + Taibaozheng for simplicity then...
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by tya
You mean they don't stamp on any passport in HK and Macau!? I thought only Taiwan passports are not stamped.
Aww that's sad. Collecting stamps has always been a fun part in travelling.

But if they won't stamp in my US, I might just use Taiwan passport + Taibaozheng for simplicity then...
They don't stamp it,but instead give you a landing slip with all the information.It used to be stapled in your passport,but not anymore.

Visitors' slip's size is about half of credit card size and the resident's slip size is 2X the visitor one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.