Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Bookable upgrades - any experiences yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Curious to know if anyone has used or tried to use this new benefit and how easy it was?

Although they book into revenue fares, I wonder if in practice it is really as simple as there being revenue space available and securing the upgrade instantly, or if theres another quota for this.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Curious to know if anyone has used or tried to use this new benefit and how easy it was?

Although they book into revenue fares, I wonder if in practice it is really as simple as there being revenue space available and securing the upgrade instantly, or if theres another quota for this.
I thought I read somewhere they pretty specifically laid it out as "A fare" availability. I haven't done it yet though.

I find it interesting it says in my account you must redeem these incremental benefits through the CX website only? You have those links you can click on, does that mean lounge passes / award upgrades / etc. is not bookable via the phone?

Given how bad CX's IT can be, what happens if it doesn't work? Does that mean MPC or reservations can't help us?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Also, if you utilise a bookable upgrade, and then cancel the booking, it returns to your inventory? I would hope so.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
I actually read all the small prints and call the MPO to enquire the other day. They said all bookable upgrade must be requested via the website. Exact same thought - if only it's another airline (website) then I am not too worry but since it's CX... The agent said of course if any tech issues then they could do the upgrade request via the phone.

Anyways, for bookable upgrade - the request must be made 15 days prior to departure. The agent told me usually within 24 hours the upgrade would be granted/tickets converted to A class providing that there's still A fare selling on that flight. I also read the small print saying that because it is an upgraded ticket, online check in will not be available and can only be done at the airport counter. I am not too fuss about this however I just find it so odd that you can't check in online because of that (then again it's CX IT we're talking about!). I will be using one of the bookable upgrades very soon once I have finalised my JFK itinerary so I shall report back in a week or two.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You would figure since AA has been offering SWUs for ages, CX would have figured out the kinks and nuances of these upgrades from the get-go.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
Originally Posted by sxc
Also, if you utilise a bookable upgrade, and then cancel the booking, it returns to your inventory? I would hope so.
I think you have to cancel at least 15 days in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
Originally Posted by uktraveller212

I did it few days ago on a long haul flight. It worked like a charm, registered the demand on CX web site and about 30 minutes later I had a confirmation by email.^^^^^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Grichka
I did it few days ago on a long haul flight. It worked like a charm, registered the demand on CX web site and about 30 minutes later I had a confirmation by email.^^^^^
awesome to hear. Thanks!
Old May 8, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Had my bookable upgrades arranged this weekend. Requested on the website and within 15 mins I had the upgrades confirmed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.