Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel

As for F vs J vs. PEY vs. Y meals, it's all airline food. There are really big limits to how good it can be,
I am sorry, but I have to guess you've never sat in a real F cabin (no, domestic American airlines that calls itself "First Class" isn't a real F cabin) that serves real F cabin food, long-haul. Many airlines long-haul F dining is restaurant quality, and some of them I would even say fine-dining quality.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I am sorry, but I have to guess you've never sat in a real F cabin (no, domestic American airlines that calls itself "First Class" isn't a real F cabin) that serves real F cabin food, long-haul. Many airlines long-haul F dining is restaurant quality, and some of them I would even say fine-dining quality.
I've only flow international F on AA; J on quite a few airlines (longhaul all on Oneworld: AA, CX, JL, BA, and QF, and regional J flights on RJ, TG, PR, HX and IB)

Speaking generally, though, I pay (whether in dollars or miles) for hard product, and if I'm going to be stuck in an airline seat I'm either sleeping or working. If I could save some money and get a modern J seat with LCC-coach service, I'd be a happy camper. (Arguably, that's what I get with AA anyway. I haven't flown the new AA 77W in first but I'd take CX J over the old AA 772 "F" any day.)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:47 pm

I've flown 4 segments in premium economy this year and got upgraded to business twice. I might have been lucky, but that is definitely one real benefit.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:42 pm

I just wish airlines on TPAC routes -- again hardly unique to CX -- would (A) start having a hot western breakfast that wasn't ALWAYS eggs (or a second hot western breakfast) as eggs seem to get really nasty in the air
Totally agree. I would take cereal everytime.

I've got into congee for breakfast in a big way on CX. It's light, it's delicious, it's as good in the air as on the ground.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Totally agree. I would take cereal everytime.

I've got into congee for breakfast in a big way on CX. It's light, it's delicious, it's as good in the air as on the ground.
Weird. Me also (congee big yes eggs no)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

I just wish airlines on TPAC routes -- again hardly unique to CX -- would (A) start having a hot western breakfast that wasn't ALWAYS eggs (or a second hot western breakfast) as eggs seem to get really nasty in the air, and (B) that the western beef option -- if any -- on pretty much every airline wasn't the same d*mn bland mushy chunk of filet*.
Eggs in CX F are the best you can get - even compared to some on the ground restaurants.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Eggs in CX F are the best you can get - even compared to some on the ground restaurants.
Unless they've got someone cooking them to order in a frying pan in the galley, I doubt that. If they do, they'll certainly be better than the ones they serve on pretty much every airline in J, let alone Y.

If not, McDonalds or a typical greasy spoon will beat anything precooked that has been sitting around for hours.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
In my opinion, Y meal in CX (transpacific) is always better than J meal, and the F meal is the worst. I had been several times taking the J meal in F (asked the flight attendant to steal it from J). Only thing better in F is the caviar.

How can this be true?

Y class meals better than J Class meal? Y Class is just one tray, J Class is a 4-course meal....how??

Then you claimed that when you are in F, you steal J Class meal over? Why? If your first claim is true, you should be stealing Y class meal over to eat in F since Y class meal is always better than J.....

And how is it possible that when you paid F class tickets you need to steal food over?

(Audio)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Unless they've got someone cooking them to order in a frying pan in the galley, I doubt that. If they do, they'll certainly be better than the ones they serve on pretty much every airline in J, let alone Y.

If not, McDonalds or a typical greasy spoon will beat anything precooked that has been sitting around for hours.
Funny you should mention that. They have someone in the galley cooking them to order.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Funny you should mention that. They have someone in the galley cooking them to order.
They could never boil eggs properly due to the altitude - they always came undercooked
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Herostratus
They could never boil eggs properly due to the altitude - they always came undercooked
What sxc is pointing out is the guy he's responding to is kinda.... wrong.

There is a machine in F that will cook the eggs. Scrambled are what I've always had, and they're just like scrambled eggs on the ground. And for good reason: the FP or SP actually crack the egg into the cooker tray thing and cook it normally.

No, J doesn't have this. Only F.

How the boiled eggs taste is kinda not relevant to what sxc is pointing out, no offense. Although I'm interested now, because I never even thought to order boiled...but your logic makes sense to me! I will just continued to order them scrambled or sunny side up.

Mine (and I suspect sxc's) point is they are fresh eggs and a cooker, and the machine is an airplane approved heated pan thing that has a similar effect as to what you'd use at home. The guy just hasn't flown CX F I don't think so is mistaken.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Yeah, I've flown plenty of 'real' F carriers including CX and i agree with the other guy. They might present it the same way but Michelin star dining it will never be. There are too many limitations to mass producing food for consumption at 35000ft. A mid range restaurant is about the best you can expect.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Don't forget about the Kaiseki which I think is still a real 'dining' experience. I would never want to have the Y (or J) meal over that, never
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
I have my doubts that eggs will ever be something I'll want on an airplane, but that's a good bit better than AA F (or the old AA F, at least) and has some chance of at least being as good as something I'd eat on the ground.

Given the improvement in J hard products over recent years, I probably won't ever get a chance to try it (I've never heard of a J to F op-up on an award ticket, on CX or even on AA; I suppose in theory it could happen.)

Getting back to the thread topic, PEY to J op-ups have been pretty common on HKG-to-SFO for me as OW Emerald (sadly in what is almost certainly my last year of it, given AA's new EQD requirement) and I've also enjoyed the very cheap cash up-fare on PEY to regional J on segments where they don't have an actual PEY seat onward from HKG (e.g. some flights into BKK or MNL)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I have my doubts that eggs will ever be something I'll want on an airplane, but that's a good bit better than AA F (or the old AA F, at least) and has some chance of at least being as good as something I'd eat on the ground.

Given the improvement in J hard products over recent years, I probably won't ever get a chance to try it (I've never heard of a J to F op-up on an award ticket, on CX or even on AA; I suppose in theory it could happen.)

Getting back to the thread topic, PEY to J op-ups have been pretty common on HKG-to-SFO for me as OW Emerald (sadly in what is almost certainly my last year of it, given AA's new EQD requirement) and I've also enjoyed the very cheap cash up-fare on PEY to regional J on segments where they don't have an actual PEY seat onward from HKG (e.g. some flights into BKK or MNL)
If you fly PEY, it shouldn't be that hard to meet the EQD requirement. In fact that's the biggest perk of PEY going into next year, tbh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.