Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles FAQs

Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion on April 2016 changes: MPC Changes April 2016

What is the difference between The Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles?

The Marco Polo Club (MPC) is Cathay Pacific’s official loyalty programme. The Marco Polo Club gives you benefits for being loyal (eg lounge access, extra baggage). Members of The Marco Polo Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members.

Asia Miles (AM) is the travel reward program where you can earn “mileage currency” (Asia Miles) for a variety of activities and spend that currency on a variety of rewards. You collect Asia Miles when you fly with CX, its partner airlines and other oneworld airlines. You can also collect Asia Miles on hotel stays, holidays and car rental, and when you're shopping, through deals with a wide range of partners. You can then spend them on flights and upgrades, and other lifestyle redemptions. You do not need to be a member of The Marco Polo Club to earn Asia Miles.

================================================== =====

Marco Polo Club FAQs:

Cathay Pacific’s Marco Polo Club homepage: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...roduction.html

How do I become a member of The Marco Polo Club?

You can join The Marco Polo Club by enrolling online at the Cathay Pacific website, and paying a joining fee of USD 100. This will enrol you into the entry-level of MPC which is Green.

If you are based in Hong Kong, you can apply for the American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card which will waive your first year fee for entry to MPC. After your first year, you need to renew your MPC membership like any other MPC member, regardless of your Amex spending.

Club Points:

Club points are separate and different to Asia Miles. Club points are used to measure your eligibility for the various MPC tiers, and are earned by flying only. You can earn club points whenever you fly in eligible fare classes with Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any oneworld alliance airlines. Club points are calculated based on a combination of airline, cabin, fare class and distance travelled.

To see how many club points you will earn, look at the club points earning table on the Cathay Pacific website: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/frequent-flyers/about-the-club/earning-club-points.html

Marco Polo Club Tiers:

There are four primary membership tiers in the MPC:

Green entry level
Silver equivalent to oneworld Ruby
Gold equivalent to oneworld Sapphire
Diamond equivalent to oneworld Emerald

In addition to this, there is Diamond Plus which is provided to the top 1% of members based on their actual CX spend, and Diamond Invitation which is invitation-only.

Green Tier Benefits:
  • Designated Marco Polo Club check-in counters
  • Priority Boarding

Silver Tier Benefits:
  • Extra-legroom seat reservation free of charge
  • Advanced seat reservation free of charge
  • Priority Waitlisting
  • Business Class counter check-in
  • Priority Boarding
  • 10kg additional checked baggage allowance
  • 10kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Priority baggage handling
  • Cathay Pacific and Dragonair Business Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific or Dragonair

Gold Tier Benefits:
  • Extra-legroom seat reservation free of charge
  • Advanced seat reservation free of charge
  • Priority Waitlisting
  • Guaranteed Economy class seat in Y fare class when reserved at least 72 hours in advance
  • Business Class counter check-in
  • Priority Boarding
  • 15kg (or 1PC) additional checked baggage allowance
  • 10kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Priority baggage handling
  • Cathay Pacific and Dragonair Business Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or oneworld carriers. One guest may accompany the member into the lounge.
  • Arrival Lounge access – no guests.

Diamond Tier Benefits:

In addition to the Gold tier benefits, Diamond members enjoy:
  • Guaranteed Economy class seat in Y fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • Guaranteed Premium Economy class seat in W fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • Guaranteed Business class seat in J fare class when reserved at least 24 hours in advance
  • First Class counter check-in
  • 20kg (or 1PC) additional checked baggage allowance
  • 15kg special cabin baggage allowance
  • Cathay Pacific First Class lounge access when departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or oneworld carriers. Two guests may accompany the member into the lounge.

How do I earn status in The Marco Polo Club?

In order to renew or upgrade tiers within a membership year, you need to earn the following amount of club points:

Green – 100 club points

Silver – 300 club points

Gold – 600 club points

Diamond – 1200 club points

A membership year lasts 12 months from the date you have enrolled, renewed, upgraded or downgraded into your current tier. Upon renewal, upgrade or downgrade, your club points will automatically be reset to zero and a new membership year begins.

You cannot achieve Gold or Diamond status by simply earning 600 or 1200 club points within a single 12 month period. This is due to your membership year resetting upon each tier upgrade.

For example:

When you join MPC, you start with zero club points and Green status. Let’s say this is January 2017. You now have 12 months to either:
  • Earn 100 club points to renew Green or
  • Earn 300 club points to achieve Silver Status

If you earn 300 club points by March 2017, you are upgraded to Silver status, and your membership year and club point balance is reset to zero. You now have 12 months (until March 2018) to either:
  • Earn 300 club points to renew Silver status or
  • Earn 600 club points to achieve Gold status

If you earn 600 club points by October 2017, you are upgraded to Gold status, and your membership year and club point balance is reset zero again. You now have 12 months (until October 2018) to either:
  • Earn 600 club points to renew Gold status or
  • Earn 1200 club points to achieve Diamond status

Once you reach Diamond status, you need to continue to earn 1200 club points in each subsequent 12 month period in order to renew your status.

I am not going to earn enough miles to requalify at my current tier. Does Cathay do soft landings or will I be sent straight to the tier at which I have enough miles to qualify for?

There is no official soft landing policy. It is possible if you are a Diamond, to go straight back to Green if you fly less than 300 club points in a year. Sometimes soft landings are reported, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

I am a silver, and I am going to fly 590 club points in my current year. Will Cathay be lenient and bump me to Gold?

Based on experience in the pre April 2016 system, it appears that Cathay is not lenient for attaining a new tier. Consider making alternative plans to reach the additional club points before your membership year ends.

I am going to be just shy of requalifying at a certain tier. Will Cathay let me have that tier anyway?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you are just short of retaining your current tier before your membership year expires, you will be requalified at that tier on expiry date. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule regarding how much of a shortfall is allowed.

Alternatively, writing in to the Club to explain your circumstances may result in them extending your deadline for requalification.

Mid-Tier Benefits:

Mid-tier benefits are designed to reward members to go beyond their club point renewal level to achieve additional benefits.

Green mid-tier benefits:
  • 200 club points: One Business Class Lounge Pass

Silver mid-tier benefits:
  • 450 club points: Two Business Class Lounge Pass

Gold mid-tier benefits:
  • 800 club points: Two Business Class Lounge Pass
  • 1000 club points: Four Bookable Upgrades (ultra-short, short or medium haul)

Diamond mid-tier benefits:
  • 1400 club points: Two First or Business Class Lounge Pass
  • 600 club points: Four Bookable Upgrades
  • 1800 club points: Complimentary Companion Gold Membership

If I am a Diamond member, will I receive the Gold mid-tier benefits at 800 and 1000 tier points?

No – you only receive the mid-tier benefits of your current membership tier.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier bookable upgrade?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades :
  • Economy: Fare classes [Y B H K M] will be upgraded into fare class E
  • Premium Economy: Fare classes [W R] will be upgraded into fare class I
  • Business: Fare classes [J C D I] will be upgraded into fare class A

There needs to be seat availability in your target fare class. For example, if you are ticketed in Business, and you want to upgrade to First Class, there needs to be "A" fare class available for sale.

When do bookable upgrades expire?

Bookable upgrade entitlements must be claimed within 12 months after it has been issued. The departure date of the flight for bookable upgrade is not required to be within 12 months from the date of issuance, however, this date must be 15 to 360 days after the claim date.

If I use a bookable upgrade, do I earn club points and Asia Miles on the original ticket fare class, or the new fare class?

You earn on the new fare class.

Does The Marco Polo Club status match?
MPC generally does not status match to another carrier's elite FFP just because you want one. You may write to the Club with details of your past flying pattern, and they will consider status matches on a case-by-case basis.

For more information , please read this thread: CX Status Match

I am moving to HK - should I consider changing to Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club?

Please see this thread for questions on moving to HK and your choice of loyalty program: Moving to HK master thread

=======================================

Asia Miles FAQs:

What Asia Miles will I earn for a particular flight and fare class?

Please refer to the Asia Miles website for the earning rates on Cathay Pacific and other Airline Partners.

Airline Partner Earning details

What are good credit cards to earn Asia Miles in HK?

See this thread: Best Credit Card Conversion Rates for Asia Miles (HK)

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

This thread is to cover the basics of The Marco Polo Club (MPC) and Asia Miles after the changes to MPC in April 2016.

Please feel free to edit or add to the Wiki above as you see fit.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
The bookable upgrades as I have understood for Gold is limited to ultras-short, short, and medium haul as long as you're a Gold member. However Diamond members receive the exact same "bookable upgrade" but they do not have a limitation due to their tier, not because that their bookable upgrade is any different from the Gold one. So if you're Gold and you don't use the bookable upgrades until you're Diamond, you should theoretically be able to use them on any flight. That's how I have read it. Of course I have no way of backing this up unless someone can speak from experience.

Also I think a lot of people don't realize this, but spending your Asia Miles balance does not affect your qualifications into a new tier. They are separate balances. I get asked this by friends who are new frequent flyers a lot, so I imagine a lot of people wonder about this. Of course the new Club Points and Asia Miles differentiation helps with this.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:29 am
twr

Is there a fee to join Marco Polo?
Old May 21, 2016, 1:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by twr
Is there a fee to join Marco Polo?
Yes have a look in the wiki above. It is the first question.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:45 pm

Wanted to post a data point which I couldn't find when searching. I originally tried to call and hold an award with no miles in my account and was told that they do not allow it. I am now in a position where somehow my Amex points from my own account failed to transfer initially because I entered my name backwards (mixed up given name and family name), but it somehow worked on the second attempt, but I still couldn't get my fiancee's points to roll into my AM account (I'm an AU on her card).

I called to again try to hold the award for two tickets and they said because I already have miles in my account and there is an obvious problem currently with transferring the miles, they would hold the award for two weeks, which is enough time to resolve the name issue and transfer the points. They actually booked two business class awards and used my correct name on the booking even though my account was incorrect.

Pretty good turnout. I know a blogger has an article that comes up often when searching for AsiaMiles award holds but he didn't really mention how the hold was possible. I figured this might help someone later attempting to do the same thing. No miles, no hold. Some miles, they'll work with you.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Makes sense. They don't want people just opening up random accounts and taking up space.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I login to CX website, but I cannot see the account information anymore. I can only see the total miles I have and Asia Miles logo on top of it. Have I been downgraded to Asia Miles now?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101
I login to CX website, but I cannot see the account information anymore. I can only see the total miles I have and Asia Miles logo on top of it. Have I been downgraded to Asia Miles now?
Yes.
Or when you call 27475500 and the usual key pattern for calling an agent, you will hear "We are now connecting you to an Asiamiles agent instead of MPC agent" something like that
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by AmD950
Yes.
Or when you call 27475500 and the usual key pattern for calling an agent, you will hear "We are now connecting you to an Asiamiles agent instead of MPC agent" something like that
I thought I shoudl keep my MPC green for another year?

Guess I will just bank my OW miles to QR then.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:36 am

Just to check, I have some upcoming flights via OneWorld carriers and I have AsiaMiles membership but no MPC as I do not want to pay the USD100. I have calculate the total Club Points I will earn is about 235.

Do I need to sign up and pay for MPC first before I can earn the club points?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by nivla83
Just to check, I have some upcoming flights via OneWorld carriers and I have AsiaMiles membership but no MPC as I do not want to pay the USD100. I have calculate the total Club Points I will earn is about 235.
Ha, then why are you considering to buy into MPC membership? I think you probably should keep your money in your pocket...235 Club Points earns you exactly squat with CX. Silver status is obtained when you hit 300. If you think you can hit 300 it might be worth it, otherwise I'd probably choose to bank somewhere more lucrative.

Ironically, 235 points means you are kinda flying. Depending on the cabins and whatnot, perhaps you could earn OW Ruby with another OW carrier.

Do I need to sign up and pay for MPC first before I can earn the club points?
Yes, technically you must sign up for MPC before you earn Club Points. However, the Club Points system and this $100 Green fee is a new twist. It seems possible CX **might** given you retroactive Club Points for some recent flights taken before paying the fee, but there really is no guarantee as we don't have enough time with the new system for there to be precedent.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ha, then why are you considering to buy into MPC membership? I think you probably should keep your money in your pocket...235 Club Points earns you exactly squat with CX. Silver status is obtained when you hit 300. If you think you can hit 300 it might be worth it, otherwise I'd probably choose to bank somewhere more lucrative.

Ironically, 235 points means you are kinda flying. Depending on the cabins and whatnot, perhaps you could earn OW Ruby with another OW carrier.

Yes, technically you must sign up for MPC before you earn Club Points. However, the Club Points system and this $100 Green fee is a new twist. It seems possible CX **might** given you retroactive Club Points for some recent flights taken before paying the fee, but there really is no guarantee as we don't have enough time with the new system for there to be precedent.
That $100 is what's holding me back from choosing MPC as point earning for my upcoming flights.

Any other OW recommendations though its weird asking in this thread?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
That $100 is what's holding me back from choosing MPC as point earning for my upcoming flights.
Any other OW recommendations though its weird asking in this thread?
Really depends on where you reside and the carriers you will be using.

There is a thread in the one world area about deciding on a FF program which would be helpful...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Really depends on where you reside and the carriers you will be using.

There is a thread in the one world area about deciding on a FF program which would be helpful...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

This thread has lots of related threads to discuss which program might be good. However, if you want some specific advice, start a new thread with details of where you're flying, which airlines and future travel plans, and we can advise whether we think CX is a good match for you.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: CX Gold
I am thinking of using asia miles to upgrade one leg of my trip (MNL-HKG-FCO-MXP-HKG-MNL) from J to F to finally try out F product. What are the chances that me and my wife will be awarded the upgrade fo the MXP-HKG leg?

Do I do the upgrade online, through phone or upon check in?

I will need to transfer points from my Citibank card to Asia Miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.