Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CX828
If this gets confirmed it will be interesting to see what happens to CX.

AA will fill the plane very profitably with AA flyers no problem. I still think lots of the Asian community in LA, and corporates based in LA who frequent HKG, along with transfer traffic beyond HKG will still prefer CX.

However CX will stand to lose some of the premium AA traffic as well as connections beyond LAX.

There is room for both players, I just hope CX can maintain 4x daily.

In a broader term, I do hope one day that there can be an open skies between HKG and USA to allow CX to join the JL/AA JV. It would allow CX and AA to become true partners across the Pacific and a move like this would not be seen as a threat or a competitor.
JVs are so good, that they have resulted only in 'capacity discipline' and higher fares across the Atlantic. What makes you think that having less competition is any good?
(though, for TPAC, at least there are CA/MU/CZ to keep CX fares in line. Even then, I am willing, and do, pay higher fares for CX over the said 3 mainland Chinese carriers.)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by CX828
I still think lots of the Asian community in LA, and corporates based in LA who frequent HKG, along with transfer traffic beyond HKG will still prefer CX.
I like CX but I *really* like lower fares. Looking forward to this for my yearly trip to HK.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:34 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
JVs are so good, that they have resulted only in 'capacity discipline' and higher fares across the Atlantic. What makes you think that having less competition is any good?
(though, for TPAC, at least there are CA/MU/CZ to keep CX fares in line. Even then, I am willing, and do, pay higher fares for CX over the said 3 mainland Chinese carriers.)
Agreed - a JV benefits the airlines, not the passengers.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
They can benefit passengers in non-monetary. Frequency increase; increased non stop destinations on same alliance therefore ability to use your frequent flier perks in more ways... etc.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....able-march-20/

Route has been confirmed, and is a JV route with Japan Airlines, and not Cathay. So hopefully some price competition here.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Here's some direct info from AA: http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...s-to-hong-kong

Start Date: Sept. 7
Schedule: LAX-HKG
Departs LAX at 1:55 a.m.
Arrives at HKG at 8:10 a.m. (next day)
(Subject to regulatory approval)

HKG-LAX
Departs HKG at 8:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:40 p.m.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I just did a search on current fares on AA HKG-LAX via Tokyo and the cheapest restricted fare is around $31k HKD. The cheapest CX fare is $48k.

Given it is a JL JV route, I expect this will be the pricing.

Booking available from 20 March.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by sxc
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....able-march-20/

Route has been confirmed, and is a JV route with Japan Airlines, and not Cathay. So hopefully some price competition here.
So the food ought to be good then. I did NRT/ORD recently on the 787 and was impressed by the quality of their F&B. Far better than CX.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sxc
I'd expect the price in Y to be cheaper than CX. For the same/similar price, one would presumably choose 9-abreast CX (with better timing and frequency) over 10-abreast AA unless the person is an AA mile junkie who won't get miles on CX or AA EXP who's trying to use SWU.

It should be interesting to see if J fare will also be cheaper. From what AA is saying about DFW-HKG, it shouldn't have any problem filling in J with its corporate flyers.

Talking about J, does this mean we can expect better availability for redemption/upgrade? I mean with AA corporate flyers migrating to AA metal + changes with AA FFP in terms of earnings and redemption, this should be a plus for MPC members?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
As AA now reveal they are launching LAX-HKG the reduction now makes sense, as more AA-flyer will now change to the AA metal flight for SWU and Main Cabin Extra, and price for the code share flight may increased accordingly as well.
One can now make reservations on the HKG-LAX service. I just did a dummy booking (roundtrip J fare ex-HKG to LAX in mid Oct)...wow it only costs $30,854 HKD. That's roughly $3,900 USD. This is significantly lower than CX J ex-HKG fare. For the exact same dates CX is charging $51,144 HKD (or $6,600 USD).

I'd be happy to give a AA a try for sure given the significant price diff, literally the same seat, got wifi onboard, and probably a slightly better catering! Bring on the competition I'd say, CX needs to wake up!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
One can now make reservations on the HKG-LAX service. I just did a dummy booking (roundtrip J fare ex-HKG to LAX in mid Oct)...wow it only costs $30,854 HKD. That's roughly $3,900 USD. This is significantly lower than CX J ex-HKG fare. For the exact same dates CX is charging $51,144 HKD (or $6,600 USD).

I'd be happy to give a AA a try for sure given the significant price diff, literally the same seat, got wifi onboard, and probably a slightly better catering! Bring on the competition I'd say, CX needs to wake up!
Excellent news. Looking forward to trying this on my next trip to LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM

Did HKG-DFW in J on AA last month. Not bad at all. Got wifi working so I was able to get some work done too!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX DM

That's a huge price difference for a very similar product - both non-stops, and if AA deploys their 777 with the same J layout as CX, I will try this next trip to LA.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by KACommuter
That's a huge price difference for a very similar product - both non-stops, and if AA deploys their 777 with the same J layout as CX, I will try this next trip to LA.
AA will deploy their flagship 777-300ER on this route so for J it is identical seat. The timing of the AA flights are pretty good (for me), leaving HK at 820pm and lands at 640pm in LA. And the return sector departs 155am which gets back to HK at 810am. One thing I do like AA is that they offer wifi on board. Given the huge price diff and the continued downgrade on CX service in general, It's worth giving AA a try.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Rivarix
I'd expect the price in Y to be cheaper than CX.
IMO - It will be a little bit more expensive than CX.

Reason? Miles and Upgrade (eVIP by EXP).

Originally Posted by Rivarix
From what AA is saying about DFW-HKG, it shouldn't have any problem filling in J with its corporate flyers.
Many use eVIP to upgrade into J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.