Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ermen
I have made a mental note not to sit in Row 11 of the A350.... seems too close to the toilets it seems for my own liking. not sure why they needed to design it as such
in order to fit two more seats, I think it would have been much better if they used the space to make the galley bigger.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
in order to fit two more seats, I think it would have been much better if they used the space to make the galley bigger.
Curious how'd a bigger galley directly benefit the passengers?

The way the curtain is placed diagonally between the toilet and 11D, passengers tend to lean toward seat 11D when opening the curtain.

On another note, it seems like the 11D/G and 20D/G seats are the only seats that can (in fact, must) have the outer armrest raised during takeoff/landing.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by chfshifter
Curious how'd a bigger galley directly benefit the passengers?

The way the curtain is placed diagonally between the toilet and 11D, passengers tend to lean toward seat 11D when opening the curtain.

On another note, it seems like the 11D/G and 20D/G seats are the only seats that can (in fact, must) have the outer armrest raised during takeoff/landing.
faster meal service, the current galley doesn't even have counter tops. Better working conditions for crew = happy crew....happy crew = better service.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

Just saw this on Airbus' Facebook Page. Quite curious about the >98.7% Operational Reliability part.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:18 pm

Just saw this on Airbus' Facebook Page. Quite curious about the >98.7% Operational Reliability part.
That's pretty good considering the 787 was at 97% after 2 years and is only just reaching 99%.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Its ok, CX are the 2.3% leftover
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I guess as long as the aircraft is not AOG for 24 hours they would count it as "flyable"
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
I guess as long as the aircraft is not AOG for 24 hours they would count it as "flyable"
The dispatch reliability standard is 15 minutes. So 98.7% of A350 departures are ready (technically at least) to depart within 15 minutes of their allotted time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ermen
I have made a mental note not to sit in Row 11 of the A350.... seems too close to the toilets it seems for my own liking. not sure why they needed to design it as such
Also not row 12. I caught a very strong whiff today when the door briefly opened.

For some reason there's no row 13, it jumps straight to 14.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by 360cisitalia
well, i would say quality issue on fittings are quite dissapointing, i was on lrb 24 dec and lri 2 jan
20dg seats have brocken extention flaps and laminate peels off badly consider aug delivred for lrb
for lrj even worse as 16d has broken extentiin flaps and 16g arm rest rattels when kn up position and stuck in the base when near down position.
cathay try to use silicon to cover or solve the issue of peeling off laminate but obvious just make the fitting looks even cheaper
anyway, great aircraft and interio design ruined by the fitting quality
On both my A350 flights this week:
- SIN-HKG 14A had broken extension flap and the covering of the connector between the seat and arm rest came off
- HKG-SIN 12G also had the covering of the connector periodically coming off, and the arm rest would not raise! Mentioned this to the ISD and she apologetically admitted that "this is a common problem, and only on the A350".

Such modern plane, modern cabin, modern entertainment... to be let down by unfunctioning fixtures.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Such modern plane, modern cabin, modern entertainment... to be let down by unfunctioning fixtures.
Yea, it all seems to be J class problems, which means it's probably all related to the Zodiac issue. I wonder how many of these birds will be plagued by this issue until its resolved. Pretty sure these issues are the crux of CX's well-documented problems with Zodiac.

For some optimism, there is a history of CX rectifying issues like these. With coffin J, the early installs had fabric issues. CX eventually got this right. Later installs came with the improved fabric, and the early installs were eventually replaced. It did take 3-4 years though for all the fabric to be standardized in the newer, more-durable style across the fleet.

There were also smaller issues which were only partially-improved which might not be cause for optimism, like that "lip" which is at the back of the counter-top table in Cirrus J window seats. Count me as someone who has lost stuff into my neighbor's seat behind me. This lip wasn't installed in the earliest Cirrus-equipped 77Ws (called "77D"), and it still isn't. It took until somewhere around registration # B-KPY and KPZ (roughly CX's 25th/26th 77W), when the 77Gs started arriving, before that lip was added. Some of the A333s have it, some don't.

To be fair, the fabric issue was a real flaw and the seats were becoming destroyed quickly. CX did rectify this. Whereas this "lip" is more of an added convenience but not make-or-break.

And remember when CX first put out J class beds in 2007, we had that crappy blanket thing? Within a few years, CX rolled out their current duvet, which I still think is among the best if not the best J class duvet in the sky. So I think we have cause to be optimism if the A359 J seat issue is really serious.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 20, 2017 at 8:13 pm Reason: clarify that i didn't lose stuff, but rather it fell into neighbor's seat
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yea, it all seems to be J class problems, which means it's probably all related to the Zodiac issue. I wonder how many of these birds will be plagued by this issue until its resolved. Pretty sure these issues are the crux of CX's well-documented problems with Zodiac.

For some optimism, there is a history of CX rectifying issues like these. With coffin J, the early installs had fabric issues. CX eventually got this right. Later installs came with the improved fabric, and the early installs were eventually replaced. It did take 3-4 years though for all the fabric to be standardized in the newer, more-durable style across the fleet.

There were also smaller issues which were only partially-improved which might not be cause for optimism, like that "lip" which is at the back of the counter-top table in Cirrus J window seats. Count me as someone who has lost stuff into my neighbor's seat behind me. This lip wasn't installed in the earliest Cirrus-equipped 77Ws (called "77D"), and it still isn't. It took until somewhere around registration # B-KPY and KPZ (roughly CX's 25th/26th 77W), when the 77Gs started arriving, before that lip was added. Some of the A333s have it, some don't.

To be fair, the fabric issue was a real flaw and the seats were becoming destroyed quickly. CX did rectify this. Whereas this "lip" is more of an added convenience but not make-or-break.

And remember when CX first put out J class beds in 2007, we had that crappy blanket thing? Within a few years, CX rolled out their current duvet, which I still think is among the best if not the best J class duvet in the sky. So I think we have cause to be optimism if the A359 J seat issue is really serious.

After 1 sector of 359 in R back into Sept, and 2 sector in J in Christmas, I can't say R is better than J as it is only 1 month old plane when I traveled on R and the B-LRB is a few months older when I took it in J. But at least as you said the problems are in J cabin definitely.
I will have 2 sector of 359 R coming in March, 1 J in June and another 2 J in Sept, hope I can see some improvement at least step by step. All my 359 travels are between HKG and DUS.
And for sure I would like to check R cabin again to compare the quality between J and R as they come from different suppliers, but also hope for an op-up, see which I can have in March.
btw if EF says W7R3E1, is that means 7 seats left or 12 as seatmap show 12 vacant seats.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
anyone booked to MEL on the A359 next week? does CX do anything?

just curious. Realized MEL is getting 35G in a few days. Does CX do anything for the first flight or anything like that?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288

Totally agree that the CX J duvet went from very bad Y-class-static-awful to very good, almost as good as F. But I am quite sure it was earlier than 2007, probably about 2004, latest 2005.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by 360cisitalia
btw if EF says W7R3E1, is that means 7 seats left or 12 as seatmap show 12 vacant seats.
Likely 7, or even less

But no one knows as CX can oversell (so less than 7) or undersell i.e. more than 7 (maybe some serious overselling in Y so reserved some seat for op-up)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.