Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by d00t
Next problem?
JL has a very warm cabin
their FA doesnt speak english as fluently
their western food options is very japanese
their suites arent very nice for fat people
the movie selection is borderline sh!t
what else.... they dont have a cantonese food option.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka
JL has a very warm cabin

sounds like only trumps 757 will do
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
You can still stick with CX even as Silver MPO as you will get lounge access when flying CX metal.

Not all is lost with the changes!
One can get lounge access via a number of credit cards...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:14 am

As a practical matter CX/KA flies to all the places I need to go for work - major cities in India, AP, and China and there are plenty of flights. I redeem my points for personal travel to the US. I am stuck with them. I am sure I will be downgraded to SL since I mostly do regional V but oh well. I can live with SL.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by kawaii
I'm considering whether to stay with MPC or move back to AA or possibly JL (JL comes into the picture because I may be relocated to TYO, but that's pretty speculative), although I welcome thoughts based on my flying pattern.

I typically fly intra-Asia HKG-PVG/PEK in Y, with maybe 1 RT in J to the States a year. Assuming I stay in HKG, I figure I can hit GO with my Y flights (20 YBHK RTs HKG-PVG is about 600 points according to the calculator), and then a few leisure SNQ HKG-TPE, with 1 JC RT to the States, I still can't hit DM and might be better off as a 1000TP GO.

I guess my more immediate question is, once I renew GO next week, what should I do with my YBHK and J flights between now and April? Put them to AA? JL? Uncredit them and then claim it post-April?

Consider you may relocate to Japan, you should really look at JGC. There's a onetime pain to catch 50K Status Miles (Fly-on Points) but once you cross that magic line, you get OW SA for rest of your life unless they change the programme if you (i) apply cobranded credit card and pay annual fee (as domestic member); or (ii) pay 5000 miles (as overseas member)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:32 pm

Most of my travel is to EU and when I go to US I go via LHR, so I am thinking seriously about BA. You can also earn high points in low cost PEY unlike CX under the new scheme.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by kawaii
I guess my more immediate question is, once I renew GO next week, what should I do with my YBHK and J flights between now and April? Put them to AA? JL? Uncredit them and then claim it post-April?
JL: can't answer as I'm not familiar with its FFP.

AA: I don't recommend you putting to AA at this point. Don't forget AA is a calendar year FFP for everyone so banking your points with AA at this point means splitting it up Oct-Dec and Jan-Apr. Bad idea unless you can get to AA OWS/OWE by year-end.

CX but claim post-April: at this point I think we can safely assume CX will follow the usual method in dealing with missing miles - miles claimed post-Apr will be credited as if they are earned post-Apr. Since CX is taking the higher of Club Miles or Club Sector for pre-Apr there's potential arbitrage but everyone's fact pattern is different so you have to do the math yourself to see if you come out ahead. Since you're starting brand new earning year, I suspect it doesn't make a difference for you but like I said, you need to run the numbers yourself.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Rivarix
AA: I don't recommend you putting to AA at this point. Don't forget AA is a calendar year FFP for everyone so banking your points with AA at this point means splitting it up Oct-Dec and Jan-Apr. Bad idea unless you can get to AA OWS/OWE by year-end.
But those who switch to AA can start in Jan.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
But those who switch to AA can start in Jan.
For most people I would say yes.

If you are just starting with AA (like me), the reason you should credit to AA at this point is if you can get to at least OWS by 31 Dec (and therefore have AA status from now until Feb 2017). This means flying at least 50,000 qualifying miles by year-end (or 33,334 miles if you fly Y+, J, F or full fare Y on CX, JL, BA, etc since those fares worth 1.5 per mile for purposes of achieving status with AA) and meet the minimum 4 segments requirement.

If you can't meet that requirement, I'd say it is better to continue crediting to MPC because presumably you already have status with CX and is in the normal process of renewing your CX status for another year. Between now and year-end (or even early next year if you're short by just a bit) it makes sense to try to get your Club miles to pass the 60k mark (or its sector equivalent) or 120k mark (if you're aiming to retain DM). You can then freeze your CX status (i.e. take advantage of the membership holiday) before moving to AA. If AA FFP changes (which i'm guessing will be announced sometime in 2016 and be effective Jan 2017) doesn't suit you, you can always fall back to your CX status.

I think this is the best strategy if one is looking to move to AA. It is essentially hedging your bets in case AA FFP doesn't work (for you) after its own changes.

One of kawaii ideas - claim missing miles post-April - does intrigue me. We know that on 15 April CX will convert your current points by taking the higher of Club Miles or Sector. I think we can safely assume that pre-15 April miles that are claimed post- 15 April will be accounted for under the new system. I can see potential arbitrage there. It's probably minimal at best but for some people it could be the difference between SL and Gold or Gold and DM.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Rivarix
For most people I would say yes.

If you are just starting with AA (like me), the reason you should credit to AA at this point is if you can get to at least OWS by 31 Dec (and therefore have AA status from now until Feb 2017). This means flying at least 50,000 qualifying miles by year-end (or 33,334 miles if you fly Y+, J, F or full fare Y on CX, JL, BA, etc since those fares worth 1.5 per mile for purposes of achieving status with AA) and meet the minimum 4 segments requirement.

If you can't meet that requirement, I'd say it is better to continue crediting to MPC because presumably you already have status with CX and is in the normal process of renewing your CX status for another year. Between now and year-end (or even early next year if you're short by just a bit) it makes sense to try to get your Club miles to pass the 60k mark (or its sector equivalent) or 120k mark (if you're aiming to retain DM). You can then freeze your CX status (i.e. take advantage of the membership holiday) before moving to AA. If AA FFP changes (which i'm guessing will be announced sometime in 2016 and be effective Jan 2017) doesn't suit you, you can always fall back to your CX status.

I think this is the best strategy if one is looking to move to AA. It is essentially hedging your bets in case AA FFP doesn't work (for you) after its own changes.

One of kawaii ideas - claim missing miles post-April - does intrigue me. We know that on 15 April CX will convert your current points by taking the higher of Club Miles or Sector. I think we can safely assume that pre-15 April miles that are claimed post- 15 April will be accounted for under the new system. I can see potential arbitrage there. It's probably minimal at best but for some people it could be the difference between SL and Gold or Gold and DM.
I don't need to qualify AA PLT or EXP by December 2015. I just renewed DM and will retain OWE status until end of September 2016, by when I may be able to get AA EXP (if I start crediting AA in January).

The problem is when AA changes their programme, I may have to scramble to switch back to CX, and I am not sure if that is worthwhile.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't need to qualify AA PLT or EXP by December 2015. I just renewed DM and will retain OWE status until end of September 2016, by when I may be able to get AA EXP (if I start crediting AA in January).

The problem is when AA changes their programme, I may have to scramble to switch back to CX, and I am not sure if that is worthwhile.
Yeah, your timing is a bit unfortunate. In my case the stars are aligned so to speak. My DM status will last till middle of next year and with AA EXP challenge there's no status gap for me since my two OWE status overlap.

Who knows what changes AA will make. Could be a bloodbath like DL or could be something like CX where there's no change in earning/redemption.

I'm switching because I don't see anything of value under the new programme for me. By switching from CX OWE to AA OWE I feel like I am giving up the following:
  • bookable upgrades - they are great but I can't see myself getting to 1600 TP so not an issue.
  • chance for opup - not really an issue since I think my chance for op-up to F is pretty slim.
  • miles upgrade - not really an issue as well since my success rate for miles upgrade to F so far is pretty dismal.
  • 2 guests to CX F lounges - I guess moving fwd when travelling with my parents through HKG, mum (most likely dad) will have to stay in J lounge.
  • no access to Admirals Club while travelling US domestic - I already solved this yesterday by signing up for Citi Prestige credit card.
  • there are other benefits that i'm giving up of course but I don't put much value on them.

On the other hand I feel like I am gaining the following:
  • better earning/burning rates.
  • Access to EY award. No access to residence but at least there is the apartment.
  • unlimited upgrade on US domestic flights which I take quite a bit (and always in Y) so it should be somewhat nice.
  • 8 SWU upgrade coupons. When my family comes here it is now cheaper for me to put them in J. Yes it is AA and not CX but hey, it's free for them so no complain!

The benefit of switching was always there but there was always this reluctance previously. I kept telling myself AA was going to get worse and therefore it made sense to stick with MPC. When CX said its FFP will change, I thought AM will change as well. Apparently not. Oh well - that actually makes switching easier.

I picked MPC over AA years ago because like most people I also started with flying in Y and well ... remember the days when as Gold/DM, Y + BN1 = J? But my travel pattern changed and I guess J + BN1 ≠ F. Hence why it is time for me to move on and try something new (but attain CX Gold in case the grass is not greener on the other side in 2017).

Whether AA (or BA or JL) is better is different for different people. If you can get to CX DM under the new programme and you didn't have problems in using your miles previously, I think it makes sense to stick with MPC. Yes, AA redemption rate is better but I think it is true mostly for long-haul. I don't think the advantage is as pronounced when redeeming for intra-asia flights. The earning is truly superior but if you have to start from scratch (so no 100% status bonus from the start) and you think you may have to switch back to CX in 2017, I don't know if it is worthwhile either.

Last edited by Rivarix; Oct 8, 2015 at 2:08 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:06 am

Why not try getting the challenge with AA? They could back date it to Sept 23 with a Dec 23 end date. Just make sure you either have EXP (OWE) 25k eqm/eqp or PLT (OWS) 9k eqm/eqp or GLD (OWR) 5k eqm/eqp.

My plan was to get EXP (OWE) and start crediting to AA, will apply for membership holiday and freeze my status with CX.

If i don't like the changes to AA I could go back to CX and burn all the miles/swu, if the changes are acceptable I will continue to freeze my CX for another year up to a max of 3 years.

I think this work best for ppl renewing/attaining status with CX in March/early April before the changes come into effect.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka
JL has a very warm cabin
I usually have my own entertainment/work on the flight anyhow, and I'm not fat.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:53 am

My travel pattern is 2x China-US on PEY (E class).

It seems this is just enough to qualify AA's platinum (OWS) through 50k EQP. The way I calculate this is (~17k actual miles per rt ) x 2 x (1.5, their EQP multiplier on E). The only catch though is flying 4 segments on AA metal. But that's relatively easy I guess..

This seems way better than MPC. With the same pattern I am a little short of reach silver 300 pts. And after AA platinum I get another 100% bonus miles and better lounge access (+1 guest).

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ccssccss
This seems way better than MPC. With the same pattern I am a little short of reach silver 300 pts. And after AA platinum I get another 100% bonus miles and better lounge access (+1 guest).

Am I missing anything here?
So it's between CX SL (OWR) vs. AA Plat (OWS)? If you can meet the requirement I'd say go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.