Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peninsula HKG lounge catering contract not renewed, Plaza Premium replacement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Have not been to CX lounges for a few months and have spend some time there yesterday and here is what I think:

-Had a breakfast at The Wing F side and though it was pretty good,I did not notice any difference in the buffet quality or selection wise. Salmon was still there along with some other cold cuts. I have also ordered a Egg Royale (the one with salmon) and thought it was quiet good too. No complains about the service ,everyone was friendly and professional.

-Capacity wise,it was not full at all,The Heaven was 30% full and the rest of the lounge maybe 20% full and I got a cabaanna immidiately.

-Moved to Pier F and had lunch there.I have ordered:
Warm Confit Duck Leg Salad;
Pan-Fried Paprika and Fennel Rubbed Sea Bass;
Artisan Cheese Board

The salad and Sea Bass were really good,but the cheese board under Peninsula was much better and sadly they did not react on the comment card I sent about it a few month ago.

The service was superb,the salad appeared in under 5 minutes and the Sea Bass was delivered 10 minutes after I finished the salad. The Dining room was probably 50% full with most people ordering the burger (with so many options why would you?).

....then they told me that SIMON is at The Wing............mad dash back to The Wing ofcourse,where I found him. By the way to all his fans: Simon will now be at The Wing J most of the time,he told me that Plaza does not rotate staff around the lounges as it was under Peninsula.

There were also a few fammiliar faces from Pen,who initially went to work at the hotel but then came back and signed a contract with Plaza,it was really good to see them again. Also unlike the handover period,there is now a good mix of HK and other nationalities at both lounges,I even noticed 1x European bartender there.

I have also visited Pier J very briefly,I did not sit down or eat/drink there,just walked around....and it's BIG and as QRC3288 said it has enough space for everyone. Again,I did not try the food,but what was on offer looked amazing and I would definately not hesitate to spend time there...although if I have access to Pier F I will probably still stay there.

There was one negative about this lounge visit,which is not really relevant to Peninsula vs Plaza discussion,it's about CX lounge staff.

Due to the way RJ system works,the seat I normally sit in is blocked for crew rest usage (but it is no longer used as such),so what I normally do is ask the lounge to call RJ counter when the latter opens at T-3 (I am normally in the lounge slightly before that). Normally they tell me they can't,but will try to ring them,they ring them,the Jardine staff at RJ check in know me and what I need,so never refused to change the seat and block the adjacent.

I went to the lady at the desk between J and F,she was not dealing with anyone and there were 2 other agents at the same desk,so it's not that they were busy. I asked her (really politely) to ring the desk,but she was actually really really rude "You are flying with them,go and contact them" "I already told you I will not call them",so I thanked her and left.

The HUACA method did not work here and when I asked a guy at the F side entrance (near immigration) he also told me it's not possible,at least he was polite and appologetic and explained to me why (they have to verify documents e.t.c.) which was fair enough.

I went back to The Pier because it was now 2 hours before departure and I did not like the prospects of having a middle seat for a 13-14 hours lfihgt. Asked at The Pier,they initially were not sure they could do it,but then did ring the counter and the counter changed the seat for me and told the CX staff that my BP will be available at the gate. Wrote the CX ladies a thank you letter...but the attitude of The Wing lady really annoyed me....like,I approach them politely and with respect and don't ask for much,I understand that maybe they don't have to help me when flying on another carrier,but the point is that they can do it.
Attached Images      
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
And yeah...one other complain,the Plaza staff still don't know how to do my favourite Baileys cocktail. I ask at The Pier,explained to them,and to their credit they did try,but it was not the same as Simon's Flagship. I wrote a comment card about that back in May,but again they did not acknowledge it.

Luckily Simon and a few other ex-Peninsula folks were there so they did not let me board my flight sober.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Rami, what a coincidence...

I just [not having read your opinions], ordered the following:

Confit of duck salad: Excellent combination with very fresh components and absolutely restaurant quality!

Sea bass: The fish was beautifully cooked, the sauce was good but too scarce. The peas and broccoli overcooked, and the things resembling potatoes were hard, almost deep fried and tasted almost like potatoes from a glass jar. Overall a dish I would normally send out in a restaurant, or at least not come back to the restaurant.

Dan Dan noodles: Some kick to it, although a little too heavy on the peanutty side for me - but that's a taste preference. Absolutely OK executed.

Strawberry tart: Good pastry and delicious cream filling. Also high quality!

So overall a mixed result, where I found the sea bass totally underwhelming as a dish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.