Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877788-wi-fi-777s-a330s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Thumbs up FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

I saw this on the USA CX Ambassadors site:

"When the airline takes delivery of its new Airbus A350 aircraft in 2016, the 12 planes scheduled for next year will come equipped with inflight wifi capability. Details of the cost to passengers have not been finalized, but it is expected that premium cabin customers may have a free trial period to use it inflight.

Studies are in place to roll out inflight wifi across the rest of the fleet, but the airline confirms that there will be no inflight telephone capability permitted. The cost affixed to the wifi is an important consideration. When there is a charge, only eight percent of passengers on average use the service, but when it is free the usage rises to as much as 20 percent, according to the airline’s research"

No details on routes. I'm sure there are some of you that can predict with some accuracy which routes are likely to get these shiny new planes!

And big huge YAY for no inflight telephone capability!!! ^ ^ Surfing is one thing... jabbering is another.

https://advocate.socialchorus.com/ca...or#home-layout

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/05/...livery-flight/
timesnaps likes this.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Hm. Mixed feelings about this. Personally would not use it just because it's one of the few places where I can truly unplug (whether you want to or not). And this is coming from a 20 year old.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I believe that a lot of the 777s are already wifi enabled. They just haven't turned them on. A number of 777s are designated e-enabled planes where the pilots use electronic flight bags and the ISM use iPads and online duty free payment.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by sxc
I believe that a lot of the 777s are already wifi enabled. They just haven't turned them on. A number of 777s are designated e-enabled planes where the pilots use electronic flight bags and the ISM use iPads and online duty free payment.
Technically some 777s are 'connected aircraft' but they do not have passenger wifi capability. The two systems are almost always required to be separate for safety reasons.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
"Ping" "ping" "ping" "ping"...

Future cabin experience when emails and incoming Skype and other chat messages announce themselves. And i'm rather sure that not all passengers can resist making Skype (and other chat) calls.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Excellent news ! So it seems that all future delivered aircraft will be fitted and all currently delivered 777-300ERs and some A330-300s will be retro fitted. Another step in the right direction. Also glad to see that phone service won't be going ahead, the last thing I want to hear is somebodies conversation while I'm trying to sleep.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by mosburger

Future cabin experience when emails and incoming Skype and other chat messages announce themselves. And i'm rather sure that not all passengers can resist making Skype (and other chat) calls.
OP media snippet stated no inflight telephone capability permitted, guess it means VOIP is blocked. As for mail and other notifications they can make passengers to switch to silent/vibration modes.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

Future cabin experience when emails and incoming Skype and other chat messages announce themselves. And i'm rather sure that not all passengers can resist making Skype (and other chat) calls.[/QUOTE]

Not.

How is this any different than people playing games on their devices? Or watching movies? Listening to music?

I believe there are times when some people are just rude. I seem to recall QRC2388 had a situation where the guy was playing games with the sound turned up, and the FA had the pax quiet the device. I would imagine same would apply here.

You have inconsiderate or oblivious people, regardless of whether there is wifi or not.

And I believe they somehow disable streaming.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

But wifi is already available on many other carriers...JAL for instance. If this was an issue, other airlines would have already figured out how to solve it.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:41 pm

People are acting like other airlines never had WiFi. I have not heard noise being a problem with airplanes having WiFi access. My only concern is CX will offer such a pathetic product that I'll end up paying $100 at turtle speed.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: LH HON

Skype etc can be blocked on a network level.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
People are acting like other airlines never had WiFi. I have not heard noise being a problem with airplanes having WiFi access. My only concern is CX will offer such a pathetic product that I'll end up paying $100 at turtle speed.
No, it'll be like SQ, last time I flew I think they wanted $25 for 20MB!

Used UA WiFi PVG-SFO-PVG was only like $20 for the whole flight and unlimited usage. And it was fast!
Old May 25, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by alphaod
No, it'll be like SQ, last time I flew I think they wanted $25 for 20MB!

Used UA WiFi PVG-SFO-PVG was only like $20 for the whole flight and unlimited usage. And it was fast!
Used UA wifi recently. ORD-EWR was charged at US$3.99 per hour (!!) and was very fast. EWR-BOM was charged at US$16.99 for the whole flight (reasonable) and was pretty mediocre speed. Connection stability was actually decent. I connected to a VPN because I didn't want all my data being sent unencrypted over public wifi and the VPN connection only dropped 3 or 4 times over the course of the entire flight. Which is not bad at all considering. Even over VPN the internet was usable.

CX will have a major challenge because from what I understand internet access is banned over PRC airspace. So how will CX deal with that when the majority of all CX flights transit over PRC at some point and usually for quite some time?
Old May 25, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
If I recall, UA turned off there WiFi when below cruising altitude when they were landing and taking off from PVG, so I imagine CX will only offer it for non-China flights. I imagine at cruising altitude even over PLA airspace, it won't be an issue.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
Skype etc can be blocked on a network level.
I have not tested it myself, but I am told that it is not possible to block Skype (or anything else) if sent through a VPN connection, unless you block VPN entirely. It's the same issue as censorship in PRC. Of course China can block VPN, but will CX block VPN? That is likely to upset their business customers.

I will try VOIP-OVPN on another carrier next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.