Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by A35J
To summarise, we're effectively looking at:

LIKELY
Copenhagen
Honolulu
Tel Aviv

My issue is, with only 3 more 77W due for deliveries in 2015, and with Australia getting the up-gauge, it will take a long time before Cathay would add any new long haul destination.

Am I missing something here ? Why is TelAviv in the likely column ?
Why is it even contemplated at all is baffling .
Care to enlighten ?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Care to enlighten ?
Because China has a large number of Christian population that go to Tel Aviv. Also, Tel Aviv has always been a good tourism city (when the bombing cools off). Tel Aviv is a great choice and my only wonder if why not sooner.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
From past rumors IIRC MIA would be a tag-on from either YYC or YYZ.
And TLV is not because of tourist demand, but rather business demand and lack of competition...
Old May 11, 2015, 12:54 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Care to enlighten ?
You'd be surprised. LY flies to HKG 5 weekly. They don't operate on Fridays for religious purpose.

I was chatting with a ground agent in HKG and was told there are quite a few Korean connecting passengers going to TLV for religious pilgrimages. Lots of business trade and cargo as well.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:34 pm

Any ideas not the percentage of passengers on JFK-YVR-HKG that are JFK-YVR local traffic only? I really wonder if CX wouldn't consider moving that to MIA-YVR-HKG, or if they could negotiate the rights for such a routing.

Alternatively, MIA-YYZ-HKG might be interesting - particularly if MIA-originating traffic would be premium heavy and 'topped off' by Y pax local on both MIA-YYZ (easy to fill) and YYZ-HKG (also a lot of demand for Y seats in this market).
Old May 12, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
You'd be surprised. LY flies to HKG 5 weekly. They don't operate on Fridays for religious purpose.

I was chatting with a ground agent in HKG and was told there are quite a few Korean connecting passengers going to TLV for religious pilgrimages. Lots of business trade and cargo as well.

And China has an even bigger Muslim population. Dont see any request to fly to Jeddah( for Mecca). Still can't see why Tel Aviv should trump more important places ( and better use of equipment ) like Madrid or fir that matter Istanbul ...( which I am sure has very good connections to tel Aviv , Amman , Beirut etc ...even Damascus .
Old May 12, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: *A
And China has an even bigger Muslim population. Dont see any request to fly to Jeddah( for Mecca). Still can't see why Tel Aviv should trump more important places ( and better use of equipment ) like Madrid or fir that matter Istanbul ...( which I am sure has very good connections to tel Aviv , Amman , Beirut etc ...even Damascus .
Your premise confuses me. No-one is suggesting that CX does a favor to it's home population. Rather, it has been suggested that TLV makes economic sense. And if CX execs have visited TLV, it seems they are considering it as well. The reasons for this seem to be partly due to tourism ex-HKG area (which the Israeli tourism office is trying to increase, and heavy Israeli business investment in China. I think CX are uniquely positioned to attract the Australasian traffic, due to the lack of ME3 competition in TLV.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum, ICH RA, HH Silver, Hyatt GP
TLV

TLV- lucrative connecting traffic from TLV to other parts of Asia.

Unlike El Al, CX would not have to fly around Turkey to avoid Saudi airspace. CX will cut HKG-TLV flight times by 3 hours compared to Al El.

Kangaroo route extremely lucrative. No competition from any middle east airline.

Its a smart move.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:03 pm

And China has an even bigger Muslim population. .
No they don't, at least not the Hans. The Hui's on the other hand don't tend to travel much....

Tel Aviv itself is a major tourist destination, and google any news outlet about Christianity in China and you will see estimations that are off the charts. Anyway, the combination of the tourist attraction of Tel Aviv, and Chinese tendency to go to new exotic places (like Maldives, now 80% tourists are from China), it isn't a surprise to see CX opening new routes with Chinese in mind.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
No they don't, at least not the Hans. The Hui's on the other hand don't tend to travel much....

Tel Aviv itself is a major tourist destination, and google any news outlet about Christianity in China and you will see estimations that are off the charts. Anyway, the combination of the tourist attraction of Tel Aviv, and Chinese tendency to go to new exotic places (like Maldives, now 80% tourists are from China), it isn't a surprise to see CX opening new routes with Chinese in mind.
Saw two tour buses of Chinese tourists at the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa when I visited it last May (very much offseason for that area of the world), and that is quite a haul from China to get there. Demand is definitely high out of China for tourism almost anywhere. I doubt HKG-CPT starts anytime soon of course, but CX is extremely well positioned to take advantage of that outbound tourist traffic on many routes.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Saw two tour buses of Chinese tourists at the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa when I visited it last May (very much offseason for that area of the world), and that is quite a haul from China to get there. Demand is definitely high out of China for tourism almost anywhere. I doubt HKG-CPT starts anytime soon of course, but CX is extremely well positioned to take advantage of that outbound tourist traffic on many routes.
Even now, it is very convenient as the routing rules allow HKG-JNB (BA)-CPT with stopover in JNB permitted.
(admittedly, I think that very few tourists want to spend an extended period of time in JNB, other than to explore the surrounding areas.)
Old May 13, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
And China has an even bigger Muslim population. Dont see any request to fly to Jeddah( for Mecca).
CX flew to Jeddah until March last year and it still is a codeshare destination.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:10 am

I see , are the Christians in China , han , hui or manchu ?

Prefer Beirut over Tel Aviv anytime .
Old May 13, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Because China has a large number of Christian population that go to Tel Aviv. Also, Tel Aviv has always been a good tourism city (when the bombing cools off). Tel Aviv is a great choice and my only wonder if why not sooner.
Could also be an option for many Filipinos flying out of Manila to visit the Holy Land...
Old May 13, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I would love for CX to fly to IAD direct but I know most likely it won't happen since they already have AA flying to IAD/DCA via DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.