Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
The new Pier First Class lounge is open as of 20 June 2015. You can see some details here:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-video-cathay-pacific-opens-new-the-pier-first-class-lounge

http://focusedflyer.com/2015/07/06/review-of-cathay-pacific-the-pier-first-class-lounge/

First class lounge menus - if you have any new menus, please post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1813204-cx-f-class-lounge-menus.html

The Pier Business Class Lounge at Hong Kong International Airport is open as of 18 June 2016. Discussion about the new Pier J lounge can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1765339-pier-j-lounge-re-opening-late-may-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

The New Pier F Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrussell
For this uninitiated Westerner could someone kindly explain exactly what is involved in a foot massage.
I'm not sure what being a Westerner has to do with it!

Basicallly, they wash your feet and then massive them and your legs with oils. The lady that did mine was quite firm but she did ask if the pressure was ok. It was more like a leg massage to me though. I would do it again, but I wouldn't be jumping to pay for it.

The Pier F is a fantastic lounge overall. I was impressed with how large the dining area is. The food was ok, not spectacular. I was a bit disappointed that there weren't more Asian dishes on the menu.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:52 am

Thanks matthandy, exactly what I wanted to know. The comment about Westerners was only that it seemed foot massages generally are much more prevalent in Asia, and from comments here, a much more important service to passengers in the CX F lounge in HKG than in other first class lounges around the world. So I was curious as to what it was all about.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Nuster
The amazing fragrant chicken in the Pier has changed. No longer a flat plate but now a bowled large plate with less chicken. But the big difference is that it has now much more spicy kick in it than before with traces of chili padi in it.

It was still good but even for a spice liking creature like me it was just a bit too fiery taking away from the more subtle flavor that is already there.

A new chef perhaps?
Fragrant chicken wasn't on the menu yesterday at all. Disappointing. (menu attached below)

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I've recently been annoyed at the system used by the spa. I go there and we agree a time, which is sometime out and gives sufficient time to first have a meal at the restaurant.

Suddenly while I'm still eating, my buzzer would go off early, which makes me feel very pressured to quickly gobble down my food to head back to the spa. Having a constantly buzzing device on the restaurant table is a stressful experience indeed!

In the most recent incident, my spa time was half hour out and it started buzzing after just 10 minutes when I had barely sat down at the restaurant and my food had only just arrived. I called one of the senior restaurant staff and asked to inform the spa that we had agreed my treatment would be at a certain time and I'd turn up at that time after I finish my meal - so don't buzz and pressurize me to come any earlier! I mean, if there was an appointment 10 minutes after my arrival, then the spa should've told me so and I'd have waited and not gone to the restaurant.
I had a very different annoyance at Pier F yesterday. Checked into the spa area and was told rudely in broken English that appointments were taken for the next two hours. I didn't persist because (1) I assumed they would adhere to schedule and (2) my flight was due to board inside 1.5 hours. It would have been nice if the staff member (or the manager I complained to) would have had me take a buzzer in the event of no-shows or early service opportunities.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Fragrant chicken wasn't on the menu yesterday at all. Disappointing. (menu attached below)
Thanks for posting the new all-day menu.

Seems to me like several less choices of Starters and/or Mains than before. IIRC, the desserts used to be at the top of the second column, and instead now, the desserts are at the bottom of the first.

I really liked the seafood rice in soup before; no longer on the new menu.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

Seems to me like several less choices of Starters and/or Mains than before. IIRC, the desserts used to be at the top of the second column, and instead now, the desserts are at the bottom of the first.

Used to have Chinese desserts as well.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: QF WP
We were in the Pier last night and whilst it was an oasis of peace and quiet the food is appalling bad and the variety even worse....It makes the terrible BA First class lounge at JFK look good !!!....Ordered the Nicoise salad and there wasnt enough to feed an ant and it wasnt by any means a nicoise salad in the true meaning, just the ingredients lobbed on the plate ....No chips or icecream, nuts hidden away and lights snacks like decent sandwiches missing, they only had vegetarian roasted vegetable as the sandwich offering last night so really not good enough considering this is Cathays flagship lounge...Lots of sweet things like tarts and cakes available if thats what you like but for me it will be eating at the Wing and then heading down to the Pier for peace and quiet !!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

In the other Pier F thread I posted that the Starters maintain 6 options while Mains and Desserts each lost 3 options.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by pyffii
We were in the Pier last night and whilst it was an oasis of peace and quiet the food is appalling bad and the variety even worse....It makes the terrible BA First class lounge at JFK look good !!!....Ordered the Nicoise salad and there wasnt enough to feed an ant and it wasnt by any means a nicoise salad in the true meaning, just the ingredients lobbed on the plate ....No chips or icecream, nuts hidden away and lights snacks like decent sandwiches missing, they only had vegetarian roasted vegetable as the sandwich offering last night so really not good enough considering this is Cathays flagship lounge...Lots of sweet things like tarts and cakes available if thats what you like but for me it will be eating at the Wing and then heading down to the Pier for peace and quiet !!
Did you order anything else from the restaurant besides the salad? Their menu has a large selection of apps, mains, and desserts to choose from.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by pyffii
You know, I was also disappointed by the Pier, but I think your assessment is harsh. I quite enjoyed the scallop starter, and the salmon main was better than anything Cathay served in-flight on F. I also enjoyed the light snack on the right side of the drinks self-serve--it was an odd-looking Chinese tofu dish but I was surprised at how much I liked it. Also, the spinach/bacon croissants were pretty good.

I also tried a fish dish at Wing F and was not impressed.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:32 pm

Check April menu, even the selection of teas had been reduced.
No longer have Pu-erh, Iron Buddha, Oolong on the new menu.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Check April menu, even the selection of teas had been reduced.
No longer have Pu-erh, Iron Buddha, Oolong on the new menu.
The JING teas that are offered on the menu now are those which JING presents in tea bags (you can also see these tea bags in the pantry section of the Lounge). It is much easier to train the staff to pop a tea bag into the teapot and then just add hot water at a certain temperature. Otherwise, we fear that the "incompetent" staff may even get your tea order wrong!

I am sure that you can still order pu-erh, iron buddha, and (maybe) oolong, but these would likely be as loose leaf tea rather than in tea bags. In fact, while in the Dining Room last time, I heard the gentleman next to me specifically request pu-erh. Maybe the management just did not want to train the staff to steep a proper cup of tea, and with loose leaf, it is slightly more difficult to do so.

As I had posted over in the Pier J thread, here are the JING teas that the J Lounge has on the Tea House menu:

Ceylon Breakfast
Earl Grey
Whole Chamomile Flowers
Whole Peppermint Leaf
Lemongrass & Ginger
Japanese Sencha
Organic Jade Sword
Traditional Iron Buddha
Jasmine Silver Needle
1990's Royal Loose Cooked Puerh

Seasonal Special: Jasmine Pearls

The Tea House does have a tea sommelier, so I suspect that they would be knowledgeable and be able to make a "proper" cup of tea. However, I would not call pouring 100-degree boiling water into a teapot to steep the tea being proper and correct either, but this is exactly what I saw one of the sommeliers do.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had a delicious asparagus soup plus a decent rissoto in the lounge. Had to ask a few times for things I ordered but was always greeted with a smile and an apology. I'd rather have this friendly staff than the scowling Peninsula people even if I have to ask twice for a water.

Decent food and friendly service, not much to complain about.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:18 am

Wonder if the current menu shrinkage is a seasonal change or a dreaded "enhancement"?

Yes I was disappointed the saliva chicken (now, that would've needed explanation for westerners!) was no longer available... but the scallops were still as good.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
I had the Chicken Karrage and Scallop starts and the Wok Fried Shrimp and Fish Maw. I thought all were excellent. Perhaps I had such low expectations based upon the comments in the thread.

Service was excellent as well. They even managed to reserve my table and keep the Shrimp for me when I got called for a massage off the standby list (which I had been put on 15 min earlier).
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
This evening I have enjoyed the new Pier F Lounge with one exception - there is only a limited view of the apron and I am one of those sad bunnies that likes watching the bustle!

I just had dinner (I don't want to eat on the aircraft), Asparagus and poached egg soup - very nice, followed by lamb loin with peas and mushy peas. The lamb was good but for me under cooked, my own preference is for rare beef but medium lamb.

They gave me a customer satisfaction form (randomly) so I will suggest that they ask how you want your lamb done.

Shower good but why isn't there a holder for the "side" shower head?

Day bed comfortable and I managed a short kip.

Wine selection a bit tame but ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.