Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX 77W to Australia (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by derek2010
and i think the 33G freed from those routes that uses 77G can add more frequency to these routes:
HKG-BNE (making 2 daily, with 4 weekly passing CNS)
HKG-ADL (making 1 daily)
HKG-PER (making 2 daily)
As stated throughout this thread, the aus-hkg bilaterial is already fully utilised so CX can only upgauge aircraft going into BNE and PER. ADL is exempt as a secondary / regional airport.

Qantas has been posturing to use HKG as a hub for fifth freedom flights (read Jetstar HK) in exchange for increasing the bilateral capacity by arguing that it doesn't need additional capacity anyway as an 'end of the line' carrier.

http://www.pc.gov.au/research/comple...al-tourism.pdf - Section 4 contains the relevant discussion although it's a bit of a long read.

Or the CAPA article contains the relevant quotes from QF.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
and i think the 33G freed from those routes that uses 77G can add more frequency to these routes:
HKG-BNE (making 2 daily, with 4 weekly passing CNS)
HKG-ADL (making 1 daily)
HKG-PER (making 2 daily)
They need additional flights per week under the Australian-HK bilateral http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-to-australia/ - they are already at 70/week.

One deal CX can do is to reach agreement with QF/AU Govt/CAD to boost capacity for withdrawing objections to Jetstar HK's PPB http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...promise-127312 - QF only flies around 29 flights here a week so giving CX more frequency will make the bilateral look more unequal than the Treaty of Nanking unless some concession is made for JQHK.

One concern of using 77G to Australia is that, how CX solved the engineering problem when the aircraft is parking at Australia?
Just curious, what engineering problem?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
HKG-OOL please!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
Smile What about other Destinations?

Although Cathay cannot expand services to PER/BNE/SYD/MEL, Would new services to Darwin, Canberra, and Gold Coast (and Wellington/Christchurch?) be a viable alternative? e.g. 4X Daily.

I'm not sure too but, I have heard from another thread that Perth was lobbying for itself to be exempt from the bilateral agreements in the way that Adelaide is now due to the withdrawal of Qantas services. Maybe Cathay can use its two slots for Perth services to increase capacity at SYD/BNE/MEL? Just a speculation .
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Velocity Silver
Perth has been long over looked by Oneworld operators. Until Qantas resumed it Perth-Singapore flights CX were the only OW operator flying internationally out of Perth.

Perth peolpe have money to spend and loads would be clocking up huge points on QF with domestic flights to and from mine sites, those without the points are looking for $$ value when flying to US/Eur.

The Middle Eastern airlines have almost cornered the European market but CX were and are by far the cheapest to NA. Qantas and Virgin are non competitve in this route as their domestic prices are high and all flights are routed through SYD/MEL/BNE.

Cathay could easily increase demand to PER
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), QF Gold, EY Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by andy81
Until Qantas resumed it Perth-Singapore flights CX were the only OW operator flying internationally out of Perth.
There's also MH and QR.

Originally Posted by andy81
Cathay could easily increase demand to PER
Completely agree, flights which I've been on are often oversold.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Just a thought, if they can't increase the number of flights between Australia and HK, then besides the 139/138 which has been changed to a 77G, will they consider changing some of the others to 77G (when the A350 are delivered) or A350 (when they are delivered)?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX100/101 has already been upgauged to 77G from October http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/10/cx-syd-w15/

My guess for third 77G flight (should they have the available equipment) will be CX178/163 ? MEL counterpart of CX138/139.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 28, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I'm sure that there will be further upgauges to Australia.

SYD and MEL will likely get additional 77G or 350s to some of the services in time.

I wonder if OOL might eventually go from charter to 3 weekly scheduled or something. Would be a nice complement to BNE.

I would love to see CX use the 350 to CHC at some point to. I think SQ is one of the few Asian carriers flying there. With less competition and increasing travel from China I am sure CX would do well there
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
Just a thought, if they can't increase the number of flights between Australia and HK
They can. Just not to SYD, MEL, BNE or PER. The 70 flight/week limit covers those 4 ports. There is no limit on flights to other ports in Australia.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX100/101 has already been upgauged to 77G already from October http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/10/cx-syd-w15/

My guess for third 77G flight (should they have the available equipment) will be CX178/163 ? MEL counterpart of CX138/139.
That's good news.

Originally Posted by CX828
I'm sure that there will be further upgauges to Australia.

SYD and MEL will likely get additional 77G or 350s to some of the services in time.

I wonder if OOL might eventually go from charter to 3 weekly scheduled or something. Would be a nice complement to BNE.

I would love to see CX use the 350 to CHC at some point to. I think SQ is one of the few Asian carriers flying there. With less competition and increasing travel from China I am sure CX would do well there
That would be great for those of us who travel to SYD and MEL.

Originally Posted by Himeno
They can. Just not to SYD, MEL, BNE or PER. The 70 flight/week limit covers those 4 ports. There is no limit on flights to other ports in Australia.
Oh, wasn't aware of that, maybe they don't want to increase the frequency to those apart from these 4 ports so that they can keep the price up for those travelling to these 4 ports. I guess if they start increasing the number of flights to others, such as ADL, CNS, then people may start considering taking LLC to their final destinations meaning lesser demand (>lower prices) for their direct flights.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
I guess if they start increasing the number of flights to others, such as ADL, CNS, then people may start considering taking LLC to their final destinations meaning lesser demand (>lower prices) for their direct flights.
They could start with a 3xweekly CBR A330 flight.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:24 am

They could start with a 3xweekly CBR A330 flight.
This will definitely be interesting, and I guess it will divert some of those who would have normally travelled to SYD or MEL to get to CBR.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
I didn't realize this, is that correct?

but if so I have all my money bet on starting Gold Coast (OOL) service... according to 2013 data, Gold Coast greater area population is 6th largest at about 600k.... top 5 being the combined SYD/MEL/BNE/PER/ADE about 14.5mio people (out of 24mio in Australia)... Also geographically, Gold Coast being about 90min drive from Brisbane, and the fact OOL is pretty much has direct access to the Pacific Highway, OOL can be used to serve the needs of Southern Greater Brisbane metro region.

Demographic of Gold Coast is very similar to Brisbane with high Chinese-Asian population. Education sector attracts many SE Asian students to the local university/Tafe... Also Gold Coast needless to say is an important tourism hub, with proposed cruise terminal going to be built with many MICE arranged in their convention center. OOL had recent (last 5 years) upgraded their Runways/Landing system also and easily capable of handling international arrivals...

Canberra is far fetched... the city only have 350k or so population, and GENERALLY speaking much smaller Asian base than BNE/OOL region. Also being the capitol city it is more of a public-sector city and presumably business flights will be served by QF if anything. I doubt CX putting Canberra high on the rador.

Perhaps OOL might be a KA destination if they think of it predominantly leisure based. I beg to differ and Cathay brand will suit better.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
I didn't realize this, is that correct?

but if so I have all my money bet on starting Gold Coast (OOL) service... according to 2013 data, Gold Coast greater area population is 6th largest at about 600k.... top 5 being the combined SYD/MEL/BNE/PER/ADE about 14.5mio people (out of 24mio in Australia)... Also geographically, Gold Coast being about 90min drive from Brisbane, and the fact OOL is pretty much has direct access to the Pacific Highway, OOL can be used to serve the needs of Southern Greater Brisbane metro region.

Demographic of Gold Coast is very similar to Brisbane with high Chinese-Asian population. Education sector attracts many SE Asian students to the local university/Tafe... Also Gold Coast needless to say is an important tourism hub, with proposed cruise terminal going to be built with many MICE arranged in their convention center. OOL had recent (last 5 years) upgraded their Runways/Landing system also and easily capable of handling international arrivals...

Canberra is far fetched... the city only have 350k or so population, and GENERALLY speaking much smaller Asian base than BNE/OOL region. Also being the capitol city it is more of a public-sector city and presumably business flights will be served by QF if anything. I doubt CX putting Canberra high on the rador.

Perhaps OOL might be a KA destination if they think of it predominantly leisure based. I beg to differ and Cathay brand will suit better.
I don't think OOL has a lot of Chinese population. BNE yes, OOL no.

But hey it would be good if CX has more services to secondary ports. Good for award redemption for me as SYD/MEL/BNE/PER award redemption is always limited (too many people fighting over them) even though they have plenty of flights. Whereas I always find J awards via ADL or CNS. OOL/CBR/DRW would be good for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.