Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

lcpteck- just a point of note- the itin is:
SIN-xHKG-KIX//NRT-xORD-DCA//JFK-oLHR-oATH-oDOH-SIN
KIX and DCA are NOT stopovers ...but parts of your 2 open jaw allowances (it's the KIX-NRT and the DCA-JFK that make up an open-jaw each).

So you have 2 transits, 3 stopovers and 2 open jaws.
You can add 2 more stopovers (or 2 transits, as you can use the stopover allowance as a transit- might help for availability- ask them to ticket the additional ones as stopovers if they push back).

No clue about the QR-QR issue though..Also, all my itineraries (admittedly more convoluted than yours) have had a fair bit of push back from the MPC, so be prepared to be firm and *very* patient in arguing back ('where does it say in the T&Cs that XXX is not allowed') - Good Luck!

Last edited by jagmeets; Jun 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jagmeets
lcpteck- just a point of note- the itin is:
SIN-xHKG-KIX//NRT-xORD-DCA//JFK-oLHR-oATH-oDOH-SIN
KIX and DCA are NOT stopovers ...but parts of your 2 open jaw allowances (it's the KIX-NRT and the DCA-JFK that make up an open-jaw each).

So you have 2 transits, 3 stopovers and 2 open jaws.
You can add 2 more stopovers (or 2 transits, as you can use the stopover allowance as a transit- might help for availability- ask them to ticket the addition ones as stopovers if they push back).

No clue about the QR-QR issue though..Also, all my itineraries (admittedly more convoluted than yours) have had a fair bit of push back from the MPC, so be prepared to be firm and *very* patient in arguing back ('where does it say in the T&Cs that XXX is not allowed') - Good Luck!
Ah I understand what you mean now. But I wonder how long of a period can I stay during a transit and a stopover? My assumption of a transit is that it have to be lesser than 24 hours while a stopover can be more? Or can I use the transit to explore the city for a few days just like a stopover?

Last edited by lcpteck; Jun 6, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:24 pm

Transit: upto 24hrs (not sure how it works for intra US- not that you have any). Stopover can be of any length..as can be the 'gap' between the 2 cities in an open jaw. This subject to the ticket validity- which is 1yr from the date of issue (not a problem normally, as all sectors would be within 1y..but just in case you want to change a date to one later on, once availability opens up).

The 5 stopovers allowance can be used for transits if needed( ie, you can have >2 stops of less than 24h, with a correspondingly lower number of stopovers- not sure if they will just 'allow' or issue the ticket such that a stopover is less than 24h - it can be, just that you'd have to pay the taxes etc.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Ah true I didn't spot that! Now we're trying to set a three-alarm fire in the AM server building!

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Ah I understand what you mean now. But I wonder how long of a period can I stay during a transit and a stopover? My assumption of a transit is that it have to be lesser than 24 hours while a stopover can be more? Or can I use the transit to explore the city for a few days just like a stopover?
You actually have two stopovers more than I first thought now. It entitles you to stay >=24h in them. But under Asia Miles OW reward rules (or at least past practice anyway) you are also entitled to cannibalise them as transits (<24h) also.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Good luck with QR-QR (5th stopover)
Originally Posted by percysmith
I don't think CX's systems can handle it.
I've been unable to book ATH-DOH-HKG or ATH-DOH-SIN or ATH-DOH-BKK with DOH as a transit.

It's unbookable even with wide availability (on BA.com) and CX tells me they are both bookable separately but not together.

Strangely, for ATH-DOH-HKG, CX won't let me book the DOH-HKG leg whether or not it is on CX or QR if it's a transit. CX will let me book the DOH-HKG leg on CX if I stay >24 hours in DOH.

This happens a lot with QR-QR, percysmith and I have both encountered problems with it. I've been able to redeem the following successfully:

HKG-DOH-CPH
HKG-DOH-NBO
HKG-DOH-MIA

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Jun 7, 2015 at 8:04 am
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Oh and to share, I have just redeemed the following for 160,000 Asia Miles in J:

HKG-JFK (CX)
JFK-LIM-LPB-LIM-JFK (LA)
JFK-BOS (AA)
JFK-HKG (CX)

stopover in LPB (La Paz, Bolivia)
transfers in JFK, LIM, LIM (not sure which one was counted as a stopover)
open jaw BOS//JFK

Which makes this good value as HKG-JFK-HKG itself is 145,000 Asia Miles in J.
The additional 15,000 Asia Miles takes me from JFK to Bolivia and back in J, which costs quite a bit on AA (via MIA) or on LA (via LIM). I quite like LA's J - they do good soups, beef and wine.

The JFK-BOS is to comply with the "2 non-CX/KA airline" rule while adding an open jaw as I had to stay within the 20,001 - 25,000 mile award zone. I would have redeemed JFK-BOS-JFK if I could!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:56 am

Thanks for the info guys.

I would probably make a stopover at DOH as well since I've never been there hehe.. Still in the early planning stages for next year's trip.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist

This happens a lot with QR-QR, percysmith and I have both encountered problems with it. I've been able to redeem the following successfully:

HKG-DOH-CPH
HKG-DOH-NBO
HKG-DOH-MIA
I have similar issue with QR-QR for HAN-BKK-DOH on the same flight. Originally the CX agent claimed that he could not book the flight for me. However, once I told him to break up the flight sector, he could!

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Oh and to share, I have just redeemed the following for 160,000 Asia Miles in J:

HKG-JFK (CX)
JFK-LIM-LPB-LIM-JFK (LA)
JFK-BOS (AA)
JFK-HKG (CX)
Nice! Was it difficult to find award seats for those flights? Do you mind sharing how much tax and surcharge costs as well? I just redeemed HKG-HAN-BKK-DOH//DXB-CMB-HKG in J for 85,000 Asia Miles and paid HKD$2,800~. Quite expensive for tax and surcharge I thought?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l380
Nice! Was it difficult to find award seats for those flights? Do you mind sharing how much tax and surcharge costs as well? I just redeemed HKG-HAN-BKK-DOH//DXB-CMB-HKG in J for 80,000 Asia Miles and paid HKD$2,800~. Quite expensive for tax and surcharge I thought?
LAN is very easy to redeem, BA.com showed 7 award seats in J for JFK-LIM-LPB for almost all dates in the month I searched.

I've flown LAN to Chile and Peru before (2 separate trips), all every easy to redeem.

According to my eticket they charged HK$2136 for tax/surcharge. I have yet to check my credit card bill.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Im debating between
Cdg-xhel-ohkg-okix-ohkg-okix-ohkg-xkix/itm-xngs-itm//txl-ory
Or
Dxb-ohkg-okix-ohkg-okix-hkg//kix-ohkg-xkix/itm-xngs-itm//doh-dxb
Mainly dueing to whether i can get cdg-auh in F or not (ey f using ey miles... Partly leftover from additional discount earlier on)
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:51 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

If seeing the ey miles as sunk cost, (tbh i had to take out 18000 miles to top up tho i could hv done w less n do a cnp- not bad value for "buying" 10000 miles using 60 gbp!)
115000 for the ex cdg ticket, w 2.5 trips to kix
95000(+18000) for the ex dxb ticket, w3 trips to kix, and cdg-dxb via auh w ey f and a limo ride
I guess taxes are a wash n are equally high...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by kaka

Im debating between
Cdg-xhel-ohkg-okix-ohkg-okix-ohkg-xkix/itm-xngs-itm//txl-ory
Or
Dxb-ohkg-okix-ohkg-okix-hkg//kix-ohkg-xkix/itm-xngs-itm//doh-dxb
Mainly dueing to whether i can get cdg-auh in F or not (ey f using ey miles... Partly leftover from additional discount earlier on)
Dun think you can repeat sectors. "ohkg-okix-ohkg-okix"
But can anyone confirm my views?

Since we are on it, can we like do, "ohkg-okix-ohkg-xnrt-okix", and appear to not repeat the sectors (if we indeed cannot repeat sectors), even though it is still hkg to kix.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:00 am

You can repeat sectors..perthtraveller's itin up-thread as an example..but be ready for a lot of push back & verse yourself very well with the T&Cs to throw the book at MPC/AM/ticketing staff..
Adding a transit along the way will likely make dealing with them easier.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:11 am
Suspended

Nrt-hkg-kix//ngo-hkg-kix-hkg-xhnd-xkix-hkg//vvo-nrt

J, all flown
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by kaka

Nrt-hkg-kix//ngo-hkg-kix-hkg-xhnd-xkix-hkg//vvo-nrt

J, all flown
Déjà vu for the win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.