Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
My friend's booking process has been difficult... agents not seeing flights that appear on all of AA.com, QF and BA award tools (although not the JL tool, so maybe it's phantom?). And not just for single legs, but multiple.

But that's one of the problems booking only a month away.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
My friend's booking process has been difficult... agents not seeing flights that appear on all of AA.com, QF and BA award tools (although not the JL tool, so maybe it's phantom?). And not just for single legs, but multiple.

But that's one of the problems booking only a month away.
what flight
Old May 26, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
what flight
28 June LHR-JFK AA107.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update to close this out... about the fifth agent was finally able to 'see' the AA flights mentioned above. They saw them immediately on request, first time. So don't know what the trick was but the out-take is that persistence pays.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: OZ*G
Hello All!

Looking to burn the last of my Asia Miles and want to do the vaunted Oneworld Multi-Carrier Award. Aiming for the 140K / 20000 Mile band in Biz.

As i understand it you get 5 stops, 2 Open jaws and 2 transfers

Does anyone see any issues with this routing?

YVR-JFK Transfer 1 in JFK
JFK-MAD
Open Jaw 1
ALG-AMM Stop 1 in AMM
AMM-EBL Stop 2 in EBL
EBL-DOH Transfer 2 in DOH
DOH-BKK Stop 3 in BKK
BKK-HAN Stop 4 in HAN
HAN-HKG Stop 5 in HKG
HKG-FUK
Open Jaw 2
NRT-YVR

Thanks!!
hoto
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by hoto
Hello All!

Looking to burn the last of my Asia Miles and want to do the vaunted Oneworld Multi-Carrier Award. Aiming for the 140K / 20000 Mile band in Biz.

As i understand it you get 5 stops, 2 Open jaws and 2 transfers

Does anyone see any issues with this routing?

YVR-JFK Transfer 1 in JFK
JFK-MAD
Open Jaw 1
ALG-AMM Stop 1 in AMM
AMM-EBL Stop 2 in EBL
EBL-DOH Transfer 2 in DOH
DOH-BKK Stop 3 in BKK
BKK-HAN Stop 4 in HAN
HAN-HKG Stop 5 in HKG
HKG-FUK
Open Jaw 2
NRT-YVR

Thanks!!
hoto
YVR-xJFK-MAD//ALG-oAMM-oEBL-xDOH-oBKK-oHAN-oHKG-FUK//NRT-YVR

Looks good.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: OZ*G
Excellent! Thanks for the validation, can't wait to call in to book

Originally Posted by lcpteck
YVR-xJFK-MAD//ALG-oAMM-oEBL-xDOH-oBKK-oHAN-oHKG-FUK//NRT-YVR

Looks good.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:41 pm

route validation

Please validate my route:

LAX-> HKG(stop over) -> CNS (stop over) ->(by Qantas)-> SYD(destination)->HKG->ORD

Thanks a lot!!!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by liw5215
Please validate my route:

LAX-> HKG(stop over) -> CNS (stop over) ->(by Qantas)-> SYD(destination)->HKG->ORD

Thanks a lot!!!
You need 2 non-CX/KA carriers. Adding an AA domestic sector at the end would do the trick.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:24 am

Will try to book one of these awards later this week, but I am running up against really high fuel surcharges or lack of J award availability.

Three quick questions.

Is there a list somewhere showing which Oneworld partners charge the lowest to highest fuel surcharges? (Basically I am trying to find a ticket back from South America to Asia, and the transatlantic options seem really expensive in terms of YQ, but at the same time, I can't find any award space on AA, CX or JL via the Pacific.)

If I have a J award ticket and the only award space I can find at the time of ticketing is premium economy for one of the segments, can I still change it to a business class seat if space opens up after ticketing (and after travel has commenced)?

Can I hold the award reservation for a few days before I actually ticket (I'm aiming to start travel in mid July)?

Thanks

Last edited by fallinasleep; Jun 19, 2017 at 5:45 am Reason: added another question
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Will try to book one of these awards later this week, but I am running up against really high fuel surcharges or lack of J award availability.

Three quick questions.

Is there a list somewhere showing which Oneworld partners charge the lowest to highest fuel surcharges? (Basically I am trying to find a ticket back from South America to Asia, and the transatlantic options seem really expensive in terms of YQ, but at the same time, I can't find any award space on AA, CX or JL via the Pacific.)

If I have a J award ticket and the only award space I can find at the time of ticketing is premium economy for one of the segments, can I still change it to a business class seat if space opens up after ticketing (and after travel has commenced)?

Can I hold the award reservation for a few days before I actually ticket (I'm aiming to start travel in mid July)?

Thanks
1) unfortunately, none that i know of. In general BA&QR are bad, Latam doesn't have surcharges (at least not back when I booked), and neither does AA. Ita matrix should give you an idea..though back when I booked Latam did have surcharges on revenue tickets, but not on awards. Perhaps Latam to JNB and CX from there? Or latam to the US and AA or AA+CX from there (possibly, via Europe?)
2) don't think so, that would be a re-issuance.
3)yes- I got that a couple of times without asking, when going to and fro with them on the award rules, but it was just a few days. Probably need to be careful on BA/WR segments..and I've also had LAN drop unticketed segments (restored after CX liaised with them)..July travel means that you're looking to possibly book in August as AA releases awards (330?) days ahead..think it's similar to Latam, though I may be remembering incorrectly.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
(Apologies if this is a dumb suggestion, but...) Have you considered via Australia?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:56 am

Thank you for the reply.
I was wondering if my route is doable using the CX/KA+1 partner award rule, not multiple partners ? Thanks

Originally Posted by jagmeets
You need 2 non-CX/KA carriers. Adding an AA domestic sector at the end would do the trick.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Christep ahaha I've been trying to get a trans-South Pacific myself.

I've an oneworld award that went all the way East to SCL. I desperately wanted to cross back to Australia/NZ to make it a true RTW but didn't see availability when I have to clinch the TATLs. Had to come back to HK via EZE and MAD.

Two months ago I saw SCL-AKL on my dates. AKL-HKG was consistently available as a connection.

But I was just starting new job and had to work out what my monthly calendar looks like. During the wait I saw availability come on for two weeks (J clearly wasn't selling, when it becomes available 7 J seats suddenly show up) then off for two weeks.

However odds are against me doing the trip as my work month has shifted, and even wrangling for a much shorter trip to Europe is rebuffed by AM (I'm devaluing costs at which I will trade for miles https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum...w/22044?page=1 #5 )
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by liw5215
Thank you for the reply.
I was wondering if my route is doable using the CX/KA+1 partner award rule, not multiple partners ? Thanks
You need to cut out a stopover. Will be fine if you only have two transits two stopovers. Syd will be counted as stopover even if it is your "destination"/turnaround point.

Cut out HK stopover on the way in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.