Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
No you just need to be more OCD - you need to whack the mole (call AM to process the upgrade) faster than other members and grAAbers when the seats are available (partner access will be equal to AM members close-in, but they burn a lot fewer miles on redemptions).
Lovely. Looking forward to it Thanks very much for your responses!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:22 pm

I bought r class and wait listed for j for 12/18/15. The wait list will expired on 12/14/15. Should I call to extend the wait list? Or is it possible? Flight no cx 883.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not possible. Start playing whack-a-mole tomorrow.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Pinga626
I bought r class and wait listed for j for 12/18/15. The wait list will expired on 12/14/15. Should I call to extend the wait list? Or is it possible? Flight no cx 883.
Full or upgrade redemption for 9-31 December SFO or LAX flight is pretty much impossible to clear. You can try to extend, but I don't think they will.

However, you can still try again after your waitlist is gone. I got an upgrade this way 2-3 years ago.

In addition, you still have a chance to do instant upgrade at the airport (assuming you are using your own miles or traveling with your AM sponsor).
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Full or upgrade redemption for 9-31 December SFO or LAX flight is pretty much impossible to clear. You can try to extend, but I don't think they will.

However, you can still try again after your waitlist is gone. I got an upgrade this way 2-3 years ago.

In addition, you still have a chance to do instant upgrade at the airport (assuming you are using your own miles or traveling with your AM sponsor).
Thanks! Should I wait till after my wait list expired to call in or should I call in for extension now?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Thanks! Should I wait till after my wait list expired to call in or should I call in for extension now?
You can't extend your waitlist any more. All cxfan1960 and I can suggest is to call MPO every so often between 15-18/12 to ask for availability.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
You can't extend your waitlist any more. All cxfan1960 and I can suggest is to call MPO every so often between 15-18/12 to ask for availability.
Thanks! You are right, no extension for wait list. I guess the chance is slim.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Thanks! You are right, no extension for wait list. I guess the chance is slim.
You still have a chance to upgrade at the airport. My family got several upgrades that way in the past. You must be using your own miles or traveling with your AM sponsor for such upgrades. You can make the request when checking in.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You still have a chance to upgrade at the airport. My family got several upgrades that way in the past. You must be using your own miles or traveling with your AM sponsor for such upgrades. You can make the request when checking in.

Thanks for your suggestion. How early should I check in to request upgrade? Is it first come first serve?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC : GGL; HHonors : Diamond
Waitlist - register my BA status?

Hi

I'm OW Emerald with BA and no status on MP (but have account).
I just purchased PE ticket HND-HKG-PER return online and put through upgrade request using my MP account and some air miles I transferred from AMEX.

Only the HKG-PER leg was successful and the rest have been waitlisted.

I'm just thinking that if I logged my British Airways account on the booking that maybe I would get higher priority in clearing the waitlist as I'm emerald status with them and nothing with marco polo.

Is that possible? Any other suggestions for clearing?

Thanks
Tim
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Originally Posted by timcjp
Hi

I'm OW Emerald with BA and no status on MP (but have account).
I just purchased PE ticket HND-HKG-PER return online and put through upgrade request using my MP account and some air miles I transferred from AMEX.

Only the HKG-PER leg was successful and the rest have been waitlisted.

I'm just thinking that if I logged my British Airways account on the booking that maybe I would get higher priority in clearing the waitlist as I'm emerald status with them and nothing with marco polo.

Is that possible? Any other suggestions for clearing?

Thanks
Tim
Your BA status means squat for upgrading with AM. HND to HKG should be easy to clear but really depends when you are flying, like CNY, then you are doomed.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC : GGL; HHonors : Diamond
Originally Posted by Mafai
Your BA status means squat for upgrading with AM. HND to HKG should be easy to clear but really depends when you are flying, like CNY, then you are doomed.
Thanks! Both my outbound flights in March have now been upgraded, and the returns are not until mid May which are still on waitlist. Hopeful that they both clear!

I do wonder whether I should change my mileage collection from BA to CX as these days I seem to fly more times with CX than I do with BA...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Always play "whack a mole" for redemptions... thought I'd give waitlist a try.

It is for a full redemption, not an upgrade.

From what I've read here, it sounds like it's not particularly reliable? Probably still need to check daily?

Anyway, have a non-standard situation. I had booked a one-way redemption in December, 2015. Ended up finding another way to handle the flight. When I called to cancel it, and wanted to put the miles back in my bank, the MPC person said to just leave it open, and I could pay a rebooking fee, rather than a $125 cancellation fee.

I'll need 145,000 miles for this waitlisted award, if I get it. I probably have 80K-90K miles in my bank right now.

Anyone have any idea how the "open redemption ticket" will be utilized here. I'm sure it will require a phone call... which is no problem.

But I've never tried the waitlisting before, so I'm not sure how it will work. Will I get some sort of email, SMS, or phone call? Will I need to respond within some short timeframe? Will they see that I have this open ticket? Or will they only see the miles in my bank, conclude I don't have sufficient miles, and then pass the available seat to someone else?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:49 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently waitlisted on a paid (but refundable) YS ticket on CX811 2/12/16. Looking to bump up to biz. I just noticed today that BA's website is showing 6 available award seats this morning. Just checked again now and it says 7. Called Asia Miles thinking it was a shoe-in, but requires manual request. They said there were no available upgrade seats. Is that a status thing, as I'm the lowest nobody in AM? They said they would email once something opens up, but from skimming through this thread, it sounds like I'm better off trying to manually call in upgrades.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

But I've never tried the waitlisting before, so I'm not sure how it will work. Will I get some sort of email, SMS, or phone call? Will I need to respond within some short timeframe? Will they see that I have this open ticket? Or will they only see the miles in my bank, conclude I don't have sufficient miles, and then pass the available seat to someone else?
I had this experience few days ago: I got SMS and email to inform me that my waitlist flights were confirmed, following by a phone call from MPC in few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.