Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for seat upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:12 pm

Wonder if CX ever does this, will they do it with any empty seats up front or only honor bids when there is cabin oversold situation. Sounds like if they are solicitating bids, it will be the former, as long as there are empty seats CX will take whatever money it can to fill them up. So let's say this: someone bought a discounted Y, made a bit for $100 USD for Y+. Y+ has 5 seats left. In theory, if say the bids are $400, $400, $300, $200, $100, all five of them will have "won the bid" and sit in Y+ with some paying $400 more and as little as $100. That in itself isn't a problem because in CX's accounting eyes it made extra revenue.

However, the concern should be shrew travelers can game the system to end up paying less than what they were willing to pay in the first place. Say if Y+ is sold at $2500, he knows Y+ cabin is unlikely to be sold out, and he can buy a cheap Y ticket at $1000 and submit a bid for say another $1000 to give himself a good chance of winning, that from his perspective he saved $500. Shrew traveler that knows seasonal loads should be very able to take advantage of the situation, so instead of his original willingness to pay Y+ price, he can game the system and fly Y+ at cheaper fare.

Same can be said for Y+ to J. A person could be willing to pay $6000 J fare, but would just buy $2500 Y+ fare, make a solid bid of another $2000 for J, and during low-seasonal loads will very likely win the bid, and instead of willing to pay $6000 for J he now only paid $4500 for J.

I agree with a poster here that this kind of bidding will only worked on short-regional flights when no one is dumb enough to pay 3 to 4 times extra for just 1 to 3 hours of Business Class on their own dime (unless you are on corporate dime), but may be tempted to make a bid to sit up front at minimal cost. However, for longer flights, this might backfired.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Wonder if CX ever does this, will they do it with any empty seats up front or only honor bids when there is cabin oversold situation. Sounds like if they are solicitating bids, it will be the former, as long as there are empty seats CX will take whatever money it can to fill them up. So let's say this: someone bought a discounted Y, made a bit for $100 USD for Y+. Y+ has 5 seats left. In theory, if say the bids are $400, $400, $300, $200, $100, all five of them will have "won the bid" and sit in Y+ with some paying $400 more and as little as $100. That in itself isn't a problem because in CX's accounting eyes it made extra revenue.

However, the concern should be shrew travelers can game the system to end up paying less than what they were willing to pay in the first place. Say if Y+ is sold at $2500, he knows Y+ cabin is unlikely to be sold out, and he can buy a cheap Y ticket at $1000 and submit a bid for say another $1000 to give himself a good chance of winning, that from his perspective he saved $500. Shrew traveler that knows seasonal loads should be very able to take advantage of the situation, so instead of his original willingness to pay Y+ price, he can game the system and fly Y+ at cheaper fare.

Same can be said for Y+ to J. A person could be willing to pay $6000 J fare, but would just buy $2500 Y+ fare, make a solid bid of another $2000 for J, and during low-seasonal loads will very likely win the bid, and instead of willing to pay $6000 for J he now only paid $4500 for J.

I agree with a poster here that this kind of bidding will only worked on short-regional flights when no one is dumb enough to pay 3 to 4 times extra for just 1 to 3 hours of Business Class on their own dime (unless you are on corporate dime), but may be tempted to make a bid to sit up front at minimal cost. However, for longer flights, this might backfired.
CX can also implement the system to take into account of status and total yield instead of just the marginal one. The beauty of this is it's not a public system. CX can change it at any time and be as inconsistent as it wishes. It can even test different strategies on different routes/flights too.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Kachjc
with all the overseas LCC's coming in CX will have to start doing that soon-or risk losing market share
could you expand on the bit " with all the low overseas LCC coming in" bit, I think this just might make a very interesting section for comparison and discussion.

For example on TPE HKG they have various other airlines competing but not exactly LCC.

Which routes are you thinking of and airlines you class as LCC.

I think the only ones I have ever used was Air Cebu and Air Asia I have used but always flown business class which I thought was great value for money between TPE & KUL.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:11 am
Suspended

I used an upgrade from BA recently for a 2.5 hr flight and it wasnt exactly a bid it was first come first served at 80 Euro. When I booked the flight the seats were not business class but the middle seat blocked up front. So I normally bag the exit row seats with no seat in front of you as they are simply the roomiest seats on these kind of flights around europe.

Lucky me ended up and a different plane type with real where the outside and inside seats are actually pushed to make a very slim middle seat and the legroom was actually way better than normal economy.

I ended up with a nice seat, a hot meal, loads of legroom and was first off the plane at LHR T5.

I think bidding will be a good idea and certainly good for people who might strike lucky and do a hell of job promoting CX business class products.

The travel agents I do know have all told me that CX is making it harder and harder each year to work with them unless you are booking group tours. They really want the end user to book direct with them by the sounds of it. Would be interesting to see if those that can bid are only allowed to do where they booked direct not via an agent.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by mayodave
I used an upgrade from BA recently for a 2.5 hr flight and it wasnt exactly a bid it was first come first served at 80 Euro. When I booked the flight the seats were not business class but the middle seat blocked up front. So I normally bag the exit row seats with no seat in front of you as they are simply the roomiest seats on these kind of flights around europe.

Lucky me ended up and a different plane type with real where the outside and inside seats are actually pushed to make a very slim middle seat and the legroom was actually way better than normal economy.

I ended up with a nice seat, a hot meal, loads of legroom and was first off the plane at LHR T5.

I think bidding will be a good idea and certainly good for people who might strike lucky and do a hell of job promoting CX business class products.

The travel agents I do know have all told me that CX is making it harder and harder each year to work with them unless you are booking group tours. They really want the end user to book direct with them by the sounds of it. Would be interesting to see if those that can bid are only allowed to do where they booked direct not via an agent.
Club europe had been that way for a long time - tge 2 seats on the side eating into the middle
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Club europe had been that way for a long time - tge 2 seats on the side eating into the middle
I often find BA very competitive when travelling in Europe and the only problem seems to be getting miles credited, yet when I fly them long haul miles post really fast.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
CX seeking opinions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ck-sought.html
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG

I will cease flying CX until they stop this fiasco. What a disgrace for a world-
class airline.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Originally Posted by JALPak
I got the insight survey a couple of days ago. One of the questions that caught my eyes was on "bidding for seat upgrade". Looks like CX was considering to implement such system.

https://twitter.com/JALPak/status/37...931328/photo/1

It's an interesting idea. Probably could generate more revenue than giving out free op-ups. But then those sticking to MPC because of the op-ups might give their business elsewhere.
I HATE this idea.... period!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by blueonions
I will cease flying CX until they stop this fiasco. What a disgrace for a world-
class airline.
Nothing wrong with this idea as airlines such as Air NZ and Etihad Airways are doing this. It's all about filling seats and getting the extra ancillary revenue for seats that would otherwise go empty.

I know this topic gets sensitive amongst FFP members as it would disadvantage them from their freebie op-ups.

This is what it boils down to. If you want to travel one class higher, then pay for it!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Nothing wrong with this idea as airlines such as Air NZ and Etihad Airways are doing this. It's all about filling seats and getting the extra ancillary revenue for seats that would otherwise go empty.

I know this topic gets sensitive amongst FFP members as it would disadvantage them from their freebie op-ups.

This is what it boils down to. If you want to travel one class higher, then pay for it!
its not just this - if you refer to the other thread - there are other valued areas which would be impaired if this goes thru (which it, seemingly, will)

and now i am not sure if we need 2 threads talking about exactly the same problem...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I am closing this thread. You can continue discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ck-sought.html

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.